Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op weight loss

I was required by my insurance company to lose 10% of my starting weight in order to qualify for surgery. I lost a total of 40 pounds prior to surgery.

The last 10 pounds I lost in the 3 weeks prior to surgery. My surgeon required me to be on an all liquid diet for 2 weeks, but I started a week early. I drank 2 Protein shakes per day and ate Soup for dinner. I was on a clear liquid diet for the final 24 hours before surgery.

I was not required to lose any weight. I lost 21 lbs on my 3 months of physician supervised diet. I think i've lost more since then, but I don't have an official number yet. The pre-op for my surgeon is very low carb for 2 weeks before and then clears the day before surgery. I start my pre-op on Wednesday (though I've been doing the low-carb thing for a few months now, so it isn't going to be any different, i'm just going to be more strict with it.) so I am hoping to have lost at least another 6 lbs. That would get me to 10% lost.

I lost 20% of my excess weight during my 6 months supervised weight loss and pre-op diet, so 27.4 lbs. None of the weight loss was required for my surgery, but I wanted to have a pretty liver and get as much weight off as I could before surgery so I had less to lose after. I did low carb for about 5 months, so I ate pretty much everything as long as I could keep my carbs under 30g a day.

I wasn't given a set amount of weight to lose before surgery. I did two weeks of liquids/raw veggies.

I managed to lose 25 pounds in those two weeks.

I lost 28.6 lbs preop, 21 lbs of that was during my 6 months medically supervised diet then 7.6 lbs during my 2 weeks preop diet which was liquids and veggies plus yogurt. I wasn't required to lose any of it.

How much weight did you lose pre op? Was it a specific required amount ? How long were you on your pre op diet and what did it consist of ???

How much weight did you lose pre op? Was it a specific required amount ? How long were you on your pre op diet and what did it consist of ???

Pre-op: I lost in total - 82lbs (70 on my own w/ 12 on the pre-op liquid diet)

Pre-op diet was 31 gruesome days. I struggled big time and still I lost 12 during the month.

The pre-op diet consisted of 2 Protein shakes a day and a light dinner (well that's what they wanted, but after the first week I was drawn to Lil Caesar pizza, now I can't imagine stuffing my sleave with such nonsense)

I didn't have a specific amount to lose, I was just trying to lose in order to have Single Incision VSG.

Post op (2.5 months): 50lbs

70 lbs to go!

Today is the first day of my pre-op diet. My physicain didn't give me a specific number of pounds he wanted me to lose. I have to do this for the next 12 days (until 9/18) then on 9/19 I have to do all Clear Liquids as my surgery is on 9/20. These are his instruction:

4 to 6 cans of Slim Fast per day (approximately 190 calories per shake)

or

3 to 4 cans of Slim Fast per day and unsweetened applesause, or sugar free/fat free pudding, or Dannon Light & Fit yogurt.

I hope this helps. I'll keep you posted on how much I lose on this diet.

All the best,

Nicole