Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings from a newbie...getting sleved on 9/19!!

Good luck! You are just about where I started, so I will definitely be watching your journey! Welcome to the forum.

We "September Sleeve Siblings" will do great. I am here, for support, all the way!

@ Shoppingbeemom - Thank you! Keep me posted on your progress.

@ TeriL - I am holding up pretty well. The nerves got a hold of me at first but now I am enthused and eager to have the surgery. I purchased a bunch of broths from Trader Joes and got some sugar free ice pops. I also ordered a couple Protein powder samples. Now I need a few diet drinks (like snapple and crystal light), eletrolight enhanced Water, some gas x for the hospital and some liquid or chewable Vitamins. My pre-op liquid diet starts on Wed. I am pretty proud of myself for not over indulging with food lately. I am not suffering from the "last meal" syndrome, thank goodness.

Good luck! You are just about where I started, so I will definitely be watching your journey! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! Yes. It looks like we have a few things in common. I would definitely like to know how your journey progresses.

Hello! Well I was going to say that we have the same date but you switched on me tongue.gif I bet you are thrilled! I almost wish that would happen for me, but it wouldn't work out with my job and my mom's job. We are also very similar in STAT's... I am 5'2" and my numbers are almost dead on with yours!

Good luck and keep us updated :)

How is it going so far?

How long did you take off from work?

The first few days for me where pretty rough adjusting. My surgeon put me on a sugar free liquid diet 10 days prior to surgery. IT was hard but I made it. But what that diet did for me was definately help me in the long rin. Cause after surgery thats my diet. I had a hard time getting all the fluids in at first but I managed. I was really sore and the pain meds they gave me didn't work so after I went home I went back to the ER cause the pain meds weren't working. But don't let that scare you. when you leave the hospital make sure what they perscribe you will work. Thats how you prevent that situation. After coming home with meds that worked I was fine. I ate Soup that was strained. Just watch how much calories you are taking in on the Soups.I really like progressos chicken and wild rice Soups. I would just sip on the broth but hey it tasted good. I didn't feel hungry anymore so that was a change. My stomach could only hold about 4oz which is about 1/2 cup at a time. With all the pain meds and fluids I didn't have room to drink all the Soup. But I tried. I am off work for 3 weeks. Some people stay off longer some don't. It all depends on you and how you heal. I am almost 2 weeks post-op now. It will be that on thursday. I am still sore, and I am able to get all my fluids in. I broke out in a rash from the glue, but that's normal. I am still on a liquid diet but I am doing great. I have moved from the recliner back to my bed. So everything is going wonderful at this time. Being nervous or scared is normal. I was all the way up to the time they took me back. I even cried when they did. I have youtube video's under superkcosta of before surgery, tricks for Protein, and during the hospital. You will be ok in the end. The biggest thing to think about is do you believe in your surgeon? If you do there's nothing to worry about.

Yay we are getting sleeved on the same day. I am nervous and excited as well. I have had to be on an all liquid diet for the past week so only one more week to go. Cant wait to be on the losers bench! Good luck on your journey!

Sounds like this should be the 5'2" thread,lol! If I stand really really really straight I might make that height.

Here are some of the things that I brought to the hospital with me.

Burt's bee chap stick - your might get very dry lips from being under

toothbrush and tooth paste - when it was time to go home it felt really nice to brush my teeth

a pillow for the car ride home - you are going to have incisions on your stomach so put a pillow between the belt and you in the car so it's not so tight and doesn't hurt you. also lower you seat back some it will help as sitting straight up will hurt some

comfortable cloths - I wore very loose fitting close and I made sure I washed them the night before so they were clean

kleenex, plastic bags, and bottles of Water - this is for the car ride home in case you throw up - very useful!

Any medications that you are currently on, also if your surgeron gave you your meds for after surgery before your surgery make sure you bring those for the ride home

i also brough stuff to take a shower, it was more like a wipe down but it felt good after being all hooked up and out of it.

any books or laptops, blankets, and pillows for whoever will be with you.

For the first week I slept in a recliner because of how you can position it. the bed hurt way too much for me to lay down and even sit up with all the incisions.

ALSO MAKE SURE THE NURSES GIVE YOU DRESSING CHANGING STUFF BEFORE YOU LEAVE!!

Hope this has helped some.

@ emily_0192010 - Best of luck with your surgery and your VSG journey. I am sure you will be successful. I am so ready for Monday to get here! I am getting excited.

LOL @ Sittingpretty. How tall are you?

@ summertymer - Wow. A two week pre-op liq diet is quite a long time. I have seen others have to do that as well. Then I come across some that only have to do a two day pre-op diet or some ppl who don't have to be on one at all. I guess it depends on the doctor. My pre-op diet is 5 days. That will feel like forever for me! LOL. It begins tomorrow.

@ Krystle - Thank you so much for sharing. I am glad to hear you are progressing.

I am only taking 1 1/2 weeks off of work. September is a hectic month at my office. I wanted to have the surgery done it August, but the timeline didn't work out as planned. I hope I will be feeling up to going back in by that time. If not, I am sure my manager won't mind. I'll just bring in a doctor's note.

What was the glue used for...to seal the wound? Did you have a drain inserted? I saw someone else mention that in a different forum board.

I plan to bring all of that to the hospital. Thank you for the tips.

Hey good luck ... pretty soon you will be on the other side!!!! bring a list of questions to ask your doc .. it really helped me. I woke up with a drain , a foley Catheter, oxygen 2 iv's alot of bruises from the blood thinner shots they gave me ...and if i didn't ask him aboout that stuff he wouldn't have probably told me ( not because he is a bad doc but because he just thinks most people know that stuff?? ) plus every doc does the surgery differently. i was glad when i woke up i knew exactly why i had everything and what it was... it eased my nerves..... also i watched a sleeve surgery on u tube so i knew what was going on, but i love blood and guts and i am in the medical field myself so i was happy to see the video....the techniques have been vastly improved in the last years so thats good. well good luck and keep me updated !!!!!!:D

Hey good luck ... pretty soon you will be on the other side!!!! bring a list of questions to ask your doc .. it really helped me. I woke up with a drain , a foley Catheter, oxygen 2 iv's alot of bruises from the blood thinner shots they gave me ...and if i didn't ask him aboout that stuff he wouldn't have probably told me ( not because he is a bad doc but because he just thinks most people know that stuff?? ) plus every doc does the surgery differently. i was glad when i woke up i knew exactly why i had everything and what it was... it eased my nerves..... also i watched a sleeve surgery on u tube so i knew what was going on, but i love blood and guts and i am in the medical field myself so i was happy to see the video....the techniques have been vastly improved in the last years so thats good. well good luck and keep me updated !!!!!!:D

i also forgot to tell you that i got my nerves so worked up prior to surgery for nothing.. the surgery itself was fine... day after post op is rough so keep up with the pain meds and walk walk walk.... also get a mouth spray by biotene its like fake salivia and it really helped my mouth from not getting to dry after surgery before i could have my leak test.....

I'm just under 5'2". I started my milk diet today. I'm already starving. I bought tons of microwaveable dinners from costco so my boys can cook for themselves. This is going to be a very long 2 weeks.

Congrats! I am also getting the sleeve on 9/19!! How exciting were getting it done on the same day! I wish you the best of luck from the other side of the U.S biggrin.gif

I didn't wake up with a drain in. But I do have a incision literallty right next to my belly button. So maybe when I was still sleeping I would. I am not sure thought. But I do have eight incisions on my stomack. The one that is 2 inches hurts the worse. It still hurts under neath,but I have a follow-up tomorrow for my two week. So I am sure it's normal pain. I am still sore from surgery and it will be two weeks. But my surgeon wrote me a doctors note excusing me out till the 19th. I also woke up with oxygen in my nose. But I got use to that. I went home the next day. Just take it easy your first day or night home. Make sure you keep on track with your nasea medicine. I had my husband write it down everytime I took one so I would stay on track. I threw up once and it wasn't so hot. Also if you get sore really fast use a ice pack. But you need to help hold it up. Don't put too much pressure on the incision site. The glue they used is to close the incisions so they don't reopen while you are healing.