Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

After surgery? What can you and can't you eat and drink? I drink my coffee in the morning and then Diet Coke most of the day. I do drink Water at times. But I love my Diet Coke. Is that a total no no? And coffee?

I am having surgery on the 21st Dr. Lopez and I read some of you are on PO diet and I haven't been told anything on that yet by my doctors office. I have some time yet but I want to start getting prepared. If I can no longer have coffee and diet coke want to start now. The headaches from the lack of caffiene are terrible but if I start now it shouldn't be so bad. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kathy

Dr Lopez

May 21st

Diet coke = gas

any drink with carbonation can give you gas and cramps untill next week. the choice is yours but its not recomended.

3 days after my band was put in i got one heck of a headache and when i asked my doc about it, he asked if i drink coffee ? yep !

He told me to go get a cup. headache was gone with in 30 minutes.

But!!!! coffee isnt good for your band when its first put in. the caffine can (not always) but can cause errosion.

so if you have to have it my doc said to use more cream in it then normal to help tone down the acididty. and never go more then half cup a day. (at least for the first month.)

That is what I was afraid of, the headache thing. I am trying to taper off so that it is not so bad after surgery. I am a caffiene freak I guess.

No I am not seeing Dr. Ross Fox why? Is that your doctor?

I am leaving for Mexico next week the 21st is my surgery date.

Dr Lopez is my surgeon.

Thanks again,

Fox's office is bad news.

We had Dr. Rumbaut in monterrey put in our bands. My wife was going to fox's for fill but they messed that up.

I've heard some good things about Dr. Lopez. :D

And if you can cut way down on the caffine before it can help prevent the headache's.

Just keep in mind (you probly already know this) that alot of other things have caffine. most soda's, chocolate, enegry drinks, ect, ect.

its the combination of all these things that give you your caffine fix. so you need to watch ALL these things to help cut down your caffine intake.

If you can prevent the caffine headache, GREAT ! My head was pounding so bad I thought something had gone wrong.

Good luck to you and have a good safe trip in Mexico.

Thanks Big Dog

I really appreciate all your advise. I am really going to try hard I am 8 days away from surgery.

So where do you go for fills now?

Kathy

May 21st

Dr. Lopez

Tacoma Radiology. Its 350 dollars a fill but it is ALWAYS a good fill.

The very first one they never put more then 2cc in. after that they watch for the Fluid to pour through.

Thanks I will keep that in mind I want to be ready when the time comes for a fill.

Getting the pre surgery nerves now!!!!

6 days to go!!

:D

May 21st

Dr Lopez

Hi Kathy,

Like you, I loved my diet pop. I had always allowed myself as much of it as wanted---figuring that it tasted good, had no calories and if this was my only addiction---besides food :D then I deserved it!! I would drink a 2-liter every day or so. Then as I was researching the band, I kept hearing that I couldn't have my diet pepsi anymore. I think that was my biggest obstacle to making up my mind to have the surgery. I checked with my Dr. and she said that I shouldn't drink the pop for at least the first month and that I should probably just get used to the idea of not ever having it again.

So....long story short---I am a month post-op and I have not had a single solitary sip of diet pepsi. :cry I miss it, but I like the way I feel better that I liked the taste of the pop.

My family used to tease me about my "addiction" and now they are amazed that I gave it up. Now with all the news about pop causing esophigial cancer, maybe it was for the best.

Good luck and drink your diet coke until you go in and then kiss it good bye. LOL

Greta

hi Kathy,

It's over seven months since my surgery, and I haven't touched a drop since - I was drinking up to 5 cans a day, absolutely loved it! But amazingly haven't missed it a bit - I was never a coffee drinker but now long for my daily cappucin...I have a large one most days and it seems to give me a mini caffeine fix. You'll cope way better than you think without it - best of luck with your surgery and happy band journey xx