Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many carbs?

Good morning all....

Just wondering how many carbs you all eat per day. This week I've been trying to keep it to 30 or 35 carbs a day but by 2:00 my energy is GONE. Yesterday I got so low....then had a dentist appointment and could hardly walk out to my car at 5pm. I wanted something sweet so bad and I couldn't stave off the craving so I drove through McDonald's which was the closest place before my 30 minute drive home and ordered a vanilla cone....then when I got to the window they said their ice cream machine was down so offered me a frappe. Like an idiot I accepted a small mocha frappe and sucked it down. Within 5 minutes I was experiencing what I believe to be dumping syndrome!!! I thought I was going to pass out. By the time I got home I was so sick. And I think it was about 8 million carbs which totally blew my diet :angry:

So, how many carbs do you all eat per day? And do you have any ideas of something I can snack on in the afternoon at work that will give me a boost but not spike my carb intake?

Thanks friends!

Good morning all....

Just wondering how many carbs you all eat per day. This week I've been trying to keep it to 30 or 35 carbs a day but by 2:00 my energy is GONE. Yesterday I got so low....then had a dentist appointment and could hardly walk out to my car at 5pm. I wanted something sweet so bad and I couldn't stave off the craving so I drove through McDonald's which was the closest place before my 30 minute drive home and ordered a vanilla cone....then when I got to the window they said their ice cream machine was down so offered me a frappe. Like an idiot I accepted a small mocha frappe and sucked it down. Within 5 minutes I was experiencing what I believe to be dumping syndrome!!! I thought I was going to pass out. By the time I got home I was so sick. And I think it was about 8 million carbs which totally blew my diet :angry:

So, how many carbs do you all eat per day? And do you have any ideas of something I can snack on in the afternoon at work that will give me a boost but not spike my carb intake?

Thanks friends!

Eat a Protein Bar for a picker upper. It will give you that extra Protein plus they taste like a candy bar to me. (I guess it has been a long time since I have actually eaten a candy bar.) I always carry one in my purse when I am going to be gone for any period of time. It also helps me to not be tempted to eat the wrong thing.

I don't super low carb, but I keep mine between 40-60 daily. If I want something I have it and don't pay attention to the carbs. I don't eat that much for it to make a difference anyway!!

I get most of my carbs from fruit and veggies because I do follow the Protein first rule. I have a protein bar usually as a snack and mine have anywhere between 18-20 carbs each.

When I super low carb, I don't loose. That is why I don't do it.

Kelly

Guest Rosalind

I haven't been sleeved yet but have been on a supervised diet. My pcp always maintained that you need carbs for your brain to function. She never wanted me to exclude food groups. She wanted me to take in healthy carbs. Carbs are in fruit and veggies too. Keep that in mind. Even if you choose whole grain crackers or whole grain chips, you still have to have only that serving which means you have to measure and count. This still will produce weightloss if done right. 13 whole grain chips means 13 and only 13.

I'm like Kelly above--I don't even think too much about carbs, because I follow the "Protein first" rule, and that is sort of a self-limiting thing for me (since I STILL have a super small sleeve with high restriction at 4-1/2 months out). I eat dairy and fruit and nuts daily, and I eat a Protein bar (20 g protein, 20 carbs) over the course of a day at school. I do not eat flour products other than the rare saltine to settle my stomach in the morning; my sleeve just doesn't tolerate them well. I don't eat candy or drink sugar. I should stress that I don't eat this way because I'm trying to "diet." The things I eat are things my sleeve will tolerate that I like the taste of, and that has definitely changed since surgery--thank goodness, because my sleeve doesn't like the things I used to eat before!

Nuts make a great on-the-go snack--get the dry roasted kind (less fat). I find I get very full and satisfied with only 4-6 almonds--I told you my sleeve was really small! You can also find yogurt in most convenience stores, or mozzarella cheese sticks, so you don't have to drive through McDonald's ever again. I actually can't eat anything at McDonald's other than their apple/nut/yogurt snack thing, and even then, the apples are hard on my sleeve. I'd just as soon enjoy a few almonds and maybe an applesauce that I can carry in the car--cheaper, too!

Make yourself a "car pack" with a bottle of Water, a can of nuts, a couple of Protein Bars (careful if your car gets hot!), an individual applesauce or two, and a few plastic spoons. This way, you can stave off a hunger attack with "friendly food," and you'll have a spoon if you need to run into a grocery for a yogurt or cup of Soup or chili--lots of groceries have really tasty Soups that you can purchase "by the pound," and with a sleeve, you won't be needing a big ol' container. Chinese restaurants, too, have hot and sour Soup, and there's always a small Wendy's chili--yum--all sleeve-friendly food.< /p>

Good luck to you! I hate dumping syndrome, and I experience it, too.... I was silly and tried a former favorite--coffee granita, kind of a semi-frozen, slushy coffee/cream drink, VERY sweet, and it made me so sick after only a few swallows I swore I would never have another one. Kind of stinks, but not really--seriously, I'm going to trade those drinks in for smaller jeans and a longer life EVERY TIME. :rolleyes:

LET ME ALSO STRESS that a lot of people on this board have lost a lot of weight low-carbing; it's just not for me. You have to find the way that works best for your body and your lifestyle--if your goal is fast weight loss, eating with as many carbs as I do might not work for you. Do what's right for you, and follow your physician's guidelines.

Cheers! Meg

Hi Meg,

Thank you for this post. Very informative and helpful. I really appreciate it!

I'm like Kelly above--I don't even think too much about carbs, because I follow the "Protein first" rule, and that is sort of a self-limiting thing for me (since I STILL have a super small sleeve with high restriction at 4-1/2 months out). I eat dairy and fruit and nuts daily, and I eat a Protein bar (20 g protein, 20 carbs) over the course of a day at school. I do not eat flour products other than the rare saltine to settle my stomach in the morning; my sleeve just doesn't tolerate them well. I don't eat candy or drink sugar. I should stress that I don't eat this way because I'm trying to "diet." The things I eat are things my sleeve will tolerate that I like the taste of, and that has definitely changed since surgery--thank goodness, because my sleeve doesn't like the things I used to eat before!

Nuts make a great on-the-go snack--get the dry roasted kind (less fat). I find I get very full and satisfied with only 4-6 almonds--I told you my sleeve was really small! You can also find yogurt in most convenience stores, or mozzarella cheese sticks, so you don't have to drive through McDonald's ever again. I actually can't eat anything at McDonald's other than their apple/nut/yogurt snack thing, and even then, the apples are hard on my sleeve. I'd just as soon enjoy a few almonds and maybe an applesauce that I can carry in the car--cheaper, too!

Make yourself a "car pack" with a bottle of Water, a can of nuts, a couple of protein bars (careful if your car gets hot!), an individual applesauce or two, and a few plastic spoons. This way, you can stave off a hunger attack with "friendly food," and you'll have a spoon if you need to run into a grocery for a yogurt or cup of Soup or chili--lots of groceries have really tasty Soups that you can purchase "by the pound," and with a sleeve, you won't be needing a big ol' container. Chinese restaurants, too, have hot and sour soup, and there's always a small Wendy's chili--yum--all sleeve-friendly food.< /p>

Good luck to you! I hate dumping syndrome, and I experience it, too.... I was silly and tried a former favorite--coffee granita, kind of a semi-frozen, slushy coffee/cream drink, VERY sweet, and it made me so sick after only a few swallows I swore I would never have another one. Kind of stinks, but not really--seriously, I'm going to trade those drinks in for smaller jeans and a longer life EVERY TIME. :rolleyes:

LET ME ALSO STRESS that a lot of people on this board have lost a lot of weight low-carbing; it's just not for me. You have to find the way that works best for your body and your lifestyle--if your goal is fast weight loss, eating with as many carbs as I do might not work for you. Do what's right for you, and follow your physician's guidelines.

Cheers! Meg