Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biggest loser...

I've been watching the Biggest Loser, both the American one and the Australian one and I have noticed how 'tight' the contestants' skin looks... especially their upper arms. O know they work like hell in the gym and that they spend most of the day working out and getting physio etc... but why don't they have sagging bat wings like me?

I'm thinking the belly area is tight due to good underwear but the arms...?

Any ideas?

I wondered that, too! I think their weight loss is actually quite a bit slower than a surgery patient, and that may account for some of it--slower weight loss can mean less loose skin. But yeah, I'm interested to see what others say. I just started noticing nasty flab on my arms, which shocked me, since I never thought my arms were particularly "fat" before, and I use my arms all day at work (I'm a music teacher and I conduct!). Now I'm kinda grossed out by it and am reevaluating wardrobe choices!!

So what is their secret???

I haven't been able to start at the gym yet (hopefully at the end of the month my surgeon will clear me for it). However, there is a personal trainer there who had the gastric bypass surgery approximately 6 years ago and has lost about 400 pounds. He has not had any plastic surgery and has no sagging skin. He told us in a couple of our support group meetings that if you do the "right" exercising, then it will really minimize the sagging skin. One of the ladies there had VSG surgery a year ago and has the bat wings - he started working with her and when I saw her last, even though her arms were covered, I could tell there was a definite reduction in the bat wings.

His name is Anthony and works at Mercy Healthplex in Fairfield Ohio. I know he has a personal website as well - but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I'll see if I can find it and post it though. He seems very willing to talk to anyone about his experience.

Thanks fore replying ...meg, ain't it frustrating!!

Hey Nancy, if you could find the info that would be great.. perhaps I could email him as I am in the Uk...?

I do exercise and specific exercise for m arms and beneath the small layer of fat and a lot of skin there is muscle definition... but the bat wings ain't pretty!!

The Biggest Loser contestants lose all that weight in 6-8 months. They train hard in the gym minimum 8 hours of their day.

They just have amazing trainers and know which exercises are the best to handle batwing situations. I really don't have bad ones, but they are there. I do a lot of arm toning to help with it. However, I dn't do any repetitious weight lifting so that's not it.

Look in that book coops, there is an awesome toning exercise that I do every time I do those workouts. It's like extending your arms from front to back... give it some time and it will work. :)

The Biggest Loser contestants lose all that weight in 6-8 months. They train hard in the gym minimum 8 hours of their day.

They just have amazing trainers and know which exercises are the best to handle batwing situations. I really don't have bad ones, but they are there. I do a lot of arm toning to help with it. However, I dn't do any repetitious weight lifting so that's not it.

Look in that book coops, there is an awesome toning exercise that I do every time I do those workouts. It's like extending your arms from front to back... give it some time and it will work. :)

Hiya Irene,

I've started doing the exercises... the upper arm ones are absolutely brilliant and I have been and will continue to do those daily!! i want to get the toning exercise via the book into my routine twice a week to complement my boxing training that is twice a week... I have learnt that if I go mad on exercise I don't lose weight... so for me, for now, 2 cardio and 2 toning should be a good combo...

That being said... I really hate my batwings...lol xx

Hiya Irene,

I've started doing the exercises... the upper arm ones are absolutely brilliant and I have been and will continue to do those daily!! i want to get the toning exercise via the book into my routine twice a week to complement my boxing training that is twice a week... I have learnt that if I go mad on exercise I don't lose weight... so for me, for now, 2 cardio and 2 toning should be a good combo...

That being said... I really hate my batwings...lol xx

I hear ya!! That's why I don't do any strength training. I gain muscle too easily and I'm heavy enough. Don't worry anyway, according to the book, she says 2 sessions per week is sufficient so you're right in there. *hugs*

What's the book you're referring to? My batwings are truly criminal. :angry:

What book? where do I get it? how much? and how long is this 2x per week workout? fill me in please!!!!!!biggrin.gif

Ha!

Good question....

Diva posted a thread just over a week ago about Callanetics... it is an exercise programme that was sorta 'born' in the 80s. I had a look on Amazon and picked a copy up for £2.99 ... BARGAIN!! The cover is blue, with yellow Callenetics following the outline of a very slender lady in a pink leotard!

Anyway, the exercises in there are very intense and concentrate on toning... I started doing them on Sunday, and boy! Don't be fooled into thinking that they are easy... however, I am hoping to get similar results to Diva!

Hope it helps ...x

Here's the link to all interested: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/21835-callanetics-10-years-younger-in-10-hours/

It usually takes one hour and for best results, 2x per week is sufficient. They are rather difficult though - but the results are really worth it.

OMG, I totally remember Callanetics -- wow, blast from the past! I just ordered the book and DVDs, so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!! :)

swizzly keep us posted on the outcome

OMG, I totally remember Callanetics -- wow, blast from the past! I just ordered the book and DVDs, so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!! :)