Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No more Lap Bands in my future :(

Thank you, Penni. I am not trying to spew horror stories or create more confusion at a time when difficult choices must be made. Personally, I have gone back to work and I am much stronger than I was a year ago. I'm getting better all the time; it's just a slow process (much slower than I would prefer for it to be).

Thank you for your support. I send my blessings toward you and yours as well.

Sincerely,

Ann

Oh my word, Annabeyta, what a horrible thing to have happen! I'm so glad you pulled through and are able to share your story with perspective. No question, surgery is a HUGE decision and the reason for that is the possibility of stories like yours.

Thank you for telling us your experience, and best wishes for continued healing and strength.

I just realized I had not updated this thread since a year ago. OOPS!! Sorry about that. LOL!! Life kinda got in my way.

I am still unbanded and haven't had any other weight loss surgery to date. There are none foreseen in my future either. I have gained back 50 of the 70 lbs I lost with the band. I am maintaining at 278 right now. That is both good and bad.

I am 20 lbs from my start weight prior to lapband placement. BAD!!

I am 20 lbs under my start weight prior to lapband placement. GOOD!!

I am taking it one day at a time. I have had some minor health issues to deal with since gaining back the weight, which slows the losing process. I am struggle with it every day. I have done some more soul searching and am just trying to get through a 24 hour period without eating something I regret. SIGH!! Man is that hard.

My mom has had some major health issues and my sister now is going through some health issues as well. My daughter just gave birth to my newest grandchild. (see my thread "New Grandson - From old lapbander" for pics.). I started a new job in Feb this year. We have had some financial concerns. My son has started college. SIGH!! Lots going on.

Still fighting the battle. Some days I win some days I lose. But I keep fighting. I don't think I want another surgery. At least not anytime soon.

HUGS

Penni,

Thank you for the update. You have been an inspiration to so many people on this thread -- a very cool lady. We spoke briefly just days after your band was removed and I will always remember that. The decision to have surgery is such a personal one and I can hear your voice.... another hospital visit would be too soon. Hug that grandbaby for me, life is still beautiful. Heart Hugs,

Thanks Betty and Patty. I have missed all you guys. I was thinking about all of you the other day and thought I would post an update. So what has been going on around here lately?

Hi Penni!!!

I was just thinking about you aswas reading a Nora Roberts book the other day!!! Congratulations on the new grandson!

I have missed your posts---and feel confident that when the time is right, you will make the right decision. Being able to make that decision is part of what sent us all to the band in the begining, the ability to remove it, or make changes....many surgeries carry similar risks, and there is no option of reverting, or changing. I know you have thoroughly looked into things, and will make the right move in your time.

Ann, I understand the issue with esophogeal tears. It is a risk with any surgery that you are intubated. My DH had a massive GI bleed, which was at the junction of the stomach, and the esophagus, his was resulting from cardiac surgery on his mitral valve, nothing to do with banding or weight loss surgery of any kind. When they put the tube into your throat, you take a serious risk! He recently had to have some more heart procedures done, and they actually thought about putting a tube/camera down his throat into the esophagus, his Gastro Dr, about come undone, we could hear him yelling on the phone, "not only NO but Hell NO!". It is something they do not warn you about often with any surgery, and most DO require intubation! Good Luck in your healing.

Penni----it is SOOOO good to see you again! Any more Ghost Whisperer episodes planned???? Don't stay away so long! Now the Granny in me, insists I go find the thread with pictures of the baby!!!

Welcome back!

Kat

Penni, the sleeve offers significant wt loss with minimal complications. It sounds like your dr. is in fact pushing the bypass on you. He has referred you to his successuful (and complication free?) pts. IMO it is best to use the least invasive approach that gives you results.