Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I have the sleeve scheduled but read on the Picilation (sp) board that Picilation is the way to go?

Hello all!

So after researching and AGONIZING for YEARS (haha) between Dr Almanza and Dr Kelly, I've decided on Dr. Kelly. I know each board promotes their own method (lapband site will tell you to get the lapband, this site will tell you to get the sleeve). I see proponents of the Piclation says that THAT is the way to go since it's less invasive, etc etc.

I think I'm doing the right thing by getting the sleeve, right? Seems like there's more success in the long run. But not sure.

Thanks again!!

I have the sleeve and would still chose it over the plication. There are risks with any surgery, but personally I still feel like the sleeve is the best option. If you have made your decision, stop reading!! It will just create doubts in your mind :P

Wow.. I saw your weight loss ticker. HOLY COW! My goodness. You've lost half of you basically! Great work! Amazing!!!!!!!! You look awesome.

I have seen several reports of complications with the plication. This troubles me because it is a new procedure and not many people are having it done, so reading about herniated stomachs and other problems in a small set of patients leads me to think that it's not the safest procedure yet. Also, several patients have reported little to no restriction with the plication and are researching revision surgery.

I am so glad I had a sleeve--I did not need that huge stomach and I'm glad it's gone.

It's not really given me much restriction and if you don't have that with restriction only surgery then what do you have? VSG can sound scary but if you actually want some weight loss then you have to brave I think.

Are you going to get a revision to the sleeve?

It's not really given me much restriction and if you don't have that with restriction only surgery then what do you have? VSG can sound scary but if you actually want some weight loss then you have to brave I think.

True. Ok good, phew. I'm making the right choice. Was on the obesity help forum and people there LOVE it.

I am just getting the sleeve... No revisions or anything.

It wasn't an option for me. I already had a band and was revising. The few things I read on it back then was not all that positive. There is nothing safe about messing with stomach tissue. I know that sounds harsh, but the scar tissue from the band made me realize that it's just not an organ to mess with in those regards.

Here's some topics you might want to read through:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/20633-failed-gastric-plication-to-gastric-sleeve/

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/19306-to-the-emergency-room/

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/14816-gps-update-important-new-information/

i'm with fox on this one ...i've even seen on this board where someone had to have the plication reversed because of necrosis of the stomach tissues ...the word necrosis scares me... sleeve is the way to go... i was sleeved a week ago today and compared to others i've had a very easy recovery thanks to GOD ... before being sleeved, i also glanced at plication until i started reading about the necrosis, no restrictions and lots of them saying that they still felt the hunger sensation... i knew then plication wasn't for me ... best of luck ...

I have seen several reports of complications with the plication. This troubles me because it is a new procedure and not many people are having it done, so reading about herniated stomachs and other problems in a small set of patients leads me to think that it's not the safest procedure yet. Also, several patients have reported little to no restriction with the plication and are researching revision surgery.

I am so glad I had a sleeve--I did not need that huge stomach and I'm glad it's gone.

Thanks Cutie Pie and Tiff. Yikes, yeah , the sleeve sounds more cut and dry. Tiff, you've been a Godsend with all of your research and info throughout all of your posts. So helpful!

i chose the sleeve because it similiar to the lapband and similiar to gastric bypass. Let me explain...

The lapband only provides u with a tool to limit the amount of food you intake. The sleeve cuts away at the lapband by giving you a smaller stomach that limits the amount of food you intake. Here's the plus side of the sleeve v band. With the band in place you can always cheat and never feel completely full so your progression is hindered. With the sleeve you can cheat but its much harder to plus you tend to feel filled a lot quicker. If you DO choose to cheat you will get a rude awaking called "dumping syndrome." Even though the dumping is NOT as severe as the one you get when you have the gastric bypass, its still a rude awakening, like touch a hot pot.

With the sleeve you are only cutting away a piece of the stomach, but you will be completely the same on the inside jus with a smaller stomach. With gastric bypass your rearranging your insides to work completely differently. The sleeve is less invasive than gastric bypass. The gastric bypass has a better weight loss result but YOU CANNOT CHEAT THIS, there is no leeway with the foods you eat. With the sleeve you wont lose as much weight as the gastric bypass, but you will have a little leeway with the food you eat.

This is why i choose the sleeve over the band and the bypass... this is my reasoning and my opinion, not to be deliberated :Plol... im stubborn...

but overall you see why "I" chose the sleeve after doing all my research... Hopefully you stick with your gut and do whats right for YOU, not what others THINK is right for you....

on that note... good luck on your journey!!!!

Only you know which wls fits you best, but yes, I personally feel the sleeve is best for me. I haven't had a moment of doubt or regret. I was sleeved in May. I researched for 7 yrs. When I first starting researching the sleeve wasn't talked about on the boards yet. I am thankful for some of the roadblocks that prevented me from getting wls when I first started researching. It forced me to wait and I kept reading and reading. The more I researched the sleeve and compared to the others the more I felt it was the best fit for me. I am very happy with the weight loss and being off meds for type 2 diabetes. I am so excited for my future and enjoying the present. I finally feel like losing weight IS possible. I have already gotten my moneys worth by my diabetes cure or being in remission. I LOVE my sleeve!!!

Good luck!!

:)