Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FINALLY I figured out what was going on!

I am just about a year out (on the 12th of August I think). I had posted on a couple of threads that lately I had gained 5 pounds and that I felt like I was able to eat WAYYY too much. I was planning a trip down to TJ to visit my doctor and get a contrast xray of my sleeve in a week or two.

About 3 months ago I started experiencing some really bad nerve pains in my left arm, one day I woke up with my arm spasming from shoulder to wrist and it turns out I had a herniated disc in my c-spine. The doctor prescribed vicodin for the pain and ibuprofen for the inflamation. It took about 2 months for the arm to feel well enough that tylenol and the ibuprofen alone handled the pain. So I stopped taking the vicodin and HOLY HELL if my body didn't flip out on me. I realized that while I didn't abuse the vicodin and I didn't get a high from the vicodin that my body was in fact experiencing withdraws from not having it. It was the middle of the night and I was having a horrible panic attack and I woke up with my arms flailing and my mind racing and sweating like a pig. I realized immediately that I was having DT's. I had an appt the next day so I popped a half a vicodin and went to sleep about a half hour later and felt fine.

I decided because it was going to be physically difficult and emotionally draining to come off them that I was going to wait until after a couple of family trips we had planned. So I continued to use them (not in excess) for the following 3 weeks. Last week I had a huge panic attack, so bad that I called my mother-in-law who lives next door (we live on a farm) to come over because my hubby was not home. I was freaked out because I thought I was having a reaction to the vicodin. Anyways long story made a bit shorter, I stopped taking them that night. I took some anti anxiety drugs to counteract the anxiety I was having and the withdraws at night and the first 5 nights were HELL. I really have a newfound respect for anyone who has kicked an addiction habit. My mother, mother-in-law and hubby were rocks and kept me feeling safe, secure and loved.

It has been 11 days and I don't feel the withdraws anymore. My head is clearer then it has been in 3 months. I have a little bit of depression going on which I read is normal after coming off opiates but I am getting out and staying busy and getting plenty of sunshine.

Here is the kicker after the 2nd day I realized my hunger had gone back to sleeve norm and I lost 6 pounds over the course of the first 7 days. After reading up more on side effects of Vicodin weight gain is one of the most prevalant. I guess it sort of dulls your sense you dont recognize you are full and it causes you to crave a lot of foods and retain a lot of Water. All-in-all it just is hell for losing weight.

So I don't know if anyone suffers from some sort of chronic pain that they have to take a painkiller like vicodin but keep in mind if you are having a stall or changes in weight if you start taking the meds that it could be because of them that things are not moving along.

Thanks for letting me ramble :)

Hey girlie! Good to hear from you! I was on pain killers for ankle surgery in 03 and straight got addicted to them as in when I stopped taking them I would go through shakes and sweats and nausea. I stopped taking them but it sure does make you realize a little of what an addict goes through. I gained quite a bit of weight drurring that time too. Keep in touch we miss you!

Wow Southern I just looked at your ticker. You are on a roll! So awesome, you are gonna pass me up real soon! YAYAYAY.

I am so glad you posted this. I've been beating myself up because I haven't lost the last 2 months. Have been taking vicoden and tylenol / alleve for a broken wrist. Yes, I know lack of exercise didn't help - but knowing that there is possibly a chemical reaction as well.... THANK YOU!

Congrats on getiing through the withdrawal and recovery from opiates! That class of drugs is such a blessing and a curse. Been there, done that (pre-sleeve - recovering from shingles in the eye.) Didn't realize it played heck with weight loss - good to know!

Best of luck to you on the rest of your sleee journey.