Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Risks of Side Effects from VSG

I'm choosing the sleeve because I figured if anything were to happen I could always revise to the bypass. If I were to go to the bypass that would be it. No revising. And before you jump on me and say that I could always "revise to the sleeve", that is VERY RARE.

I had post op internal bleeding with my vgs. At one time my heart rate was 34 and my blood pressure was 50/0 (stage 3 shock with an 80% mortality rate). My husband (we are both paramedics) saved my life because the nursing staff was too stupid to recognize the signs. Would I do it again, knowing the risks? Absolutely! I knew I was slowly dying, due to my weight. I had no health problems but was constantly in pain and had a lot of trouble doing my job. It was a matter of time. I have lost 150 pounds and want to lose 40 more.

My health was so bad that was so sure I wiuld not make it 10 more years.

I allowed a surgeon to partially knock me out to inspect my heart and arteries and I was super scared about that. I thought about the risks of finding clogs and needing open heart surgery. None of that happened. I'm still recovering from the groin surgery. My sleeve surgery is scheduled for 8/28/14. I expect I'll still be recovering from the groin surgery when I'm recovering from the sleeve surgery. I'm just going for it so I can get on with my life getting thinner instead of getting fatter.

@@CowgirlJane

It makes me very skeptical of WLS death reporting since I suppose that if it happens after surgery it isn't counted as due to WLS. It probably all says heart failure...

I think that when death happens AFTER WLS surgery, it can greatly depend on the person. Some of us have been obese for so long that it is VERY difficult to comply to all of the rules and regulations of such a drastic change. My doctor also stated this fact that if we don't comply AFTER surgery the mortality risk is greater. (This is not counting leakage or any other surgeon related mistakes)

I understand what you're saying too I had a premature birth and my son was doing great, he developed sepsis that lead to kidney and other organ failure yet, his death certificate read, prematurity and organ failure! I found years later after statue of limitations, that sepsis is a "hospital" disease :(

risk reward trade off. For me it was worth the minor risks. I am still young (strong body) and strong heart. I knew I could take the surgery.