Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi uk sleevers from here in kent

Hey there, I was sleeved by Mr Patel at Kings College Hospital on Sunday, 18th September 2011.

It seems I'm much bigger than you - My surgery weight was 199k or just shy of 30st. I'm at 180k now or 28st 4lbs. I'm thrilled to report it's the first time I've been under 400lbs in years.

In four short weeks, even with just 42lbs (3st) lost, my long suffering knees are already thanking me!

I was admitted on a Sunday and went home again on the Wednesday morning. I had an unpleasant reaction to the gastrograffin liquid they use to test the staple line, so I wound up staying an extra night. Nothing drastic, just severe, prolonged runny runs. There was just no way I could travel from Denmark Hill to South London in that state so it was agreed to keep me in overnight.

By my own choice, I was on just paracetemol from the day after my surgery. I'm honestly not superwoman nor do I have some insanely high level of pain tolerance; I just genuinely didn't need anything stronger. I was up & walking the halls the next day. Walking helps disperse the gas they pump into you to do the op, so I was all about walking!

The nurses and staff were all wonderful at Kings College Hospital and they were particularly sweet to my 8yr old daughter who has some complex special needs.

Given a choice, I'd absolutely do it all again in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your journey!

DebSee

Hey there, I was sleeved by Mr Patel at Kings College Hospital on Sunday, 18th September 2011.

It seems I'm much bigger than you - My surgery weight was 199k or just shy of 30st. I'm at 180k now or 28st 4lbs. I'm thrilled to report it's the first time I've been under 400lbs in years.

In four short weeks, even with just 42lbs (3st) lost, my long suffering knees are already thanking me!

I was admitted on a Sunday and went home again on the Wednesday morning. I had an unpleasant reaction to the gastrograffin liquid they use to test the staple line, so I wound up staying an extra night. Nothing drastic, just severe, prolonged runny runs. There was just no way I could travel from Denmark Hill to South London in that state so it was agreed to keep me in overnight.

By my own choice, I was on just paracetemol from the day after my surgery. I'm honestly not superwoman nor do I have some insanely high level of pain tolerance; I just genuinely didn't need anything stronger. I was up & walking the halls the next day. Walking helps disperse the gas they pump into you to do the op, so I was all about walking!

The nurses and staff were all wonderful at Kings College Hospital and they were particularly sweet to my 8yr old daughter who has some complex special needs.

Given a choice, I'd absolutely do it all again in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your journey!

DebSee

Great story im so pleased everything went well for you and i wish you every success on your journey.

Were you NHS funded? did you gain weight from referal to surgery? thats my biggest fear as im struggling to stick with the dietitions plan and im worried if gain weight i wont be allowed surgery :(

Once agian well done :thumbs_up:

Lucy x

hi

I cant belive

Ive put on a stone since my last visit with the consultat in june this year,,

but part of that is my hernia..

I phone up admissions yesterday and she said that its a year waiting just to get the date-so i saw the doc in june-i might get a date next june to have the op ??????

im in a lot of pain with this henia its gt bigger i cant wait that long,

enough on me lol

congrats on loosing the weight hope u dont mind me asking but im worred about baggy skin... what was dr patel like,, i havent met him yet

debs

Great story im so pleased everything went well for you and i wish you every success on your journey.

Were you NHS funded? did you gain weight from referal to surgery? thats my biggest fear as im struggling to stick with the dietitions plan and im worried if gain weight i wont be allowed surgery :(

Once agian well done :thumbs_up:

Lucy x

I was granted NHS funding for my sleeve. However, for personal reasons (cancer in a close family member), I needed to be recovered from my op & losing weight sooner rather than later so I could be fit & able to help out as needed. At 30st I was no use to anyone - 3st lighter and I'm already far more active.

As Mr Patel's list is currently running at about the one year mark (I was first seen last February, so by next Jan/Feb I would have been done), and because we could afford it really, we went the private route.

Yes, I did gain some weight from referral to surgery, not a huge amount, mind. I confess to having done the whole "food Funeral" routine and even had a list of stuff I wanted to eat for the last time. Unlike some surgeons, Mr Patel did not require me to lose any weight or do a liver reduction diet prior to surgery. His clinical nurse assistant says he prefers his patients to have good reserves for healing up after surgery. That said, it really is a matter for your own particular surgeon - What may be advisable to me may or may not be best for you or someone else, see?

Thanks for the well wishes, and good luck!

hi

I cant belive

Ive put on a stone since my last visit with the consultat in june this year,,

but part of that is my hernia..

I phone up admissions yesterday and she said that its a year waiting just to get the date-so i saw the doc in june-i might get a date next june to have the op ??????

im in a lot of pain with this henia its gt bigger i cant wait that long,

enough on me lol

congrats on loosing the weight hope u dont mind me asking but im worred about baggy skin... what was dr patel like,, i havent met him yet

debs

Yes, Pauline who looks after Mr Patel's NHS list at Kings College London is saying there's about a one year waiting list period. In reality, it's a wee bit less than that, so think in terms of probably April/May next year. Bear in mind, too, that Mr Patel books his own list himself. Since I came off the NHS list,. there's at least one less op before yours! =)

As for baggy skin, I would be very surprised if there wasn't some since I started out over 400lbs. Frankly, it's a price I'll gladly to pay in return for regaining health. There's always plastic surgery if I find I want it some day, right?

You will love Mr Patel. I'm sure there's a vid of him on Youtube, think I sent it to my mother who was curious about the op. Oh, here we are:

Hi!! UPDATE

I saw Dr Patel on the 23rd of Dec 11 and he recomends me having the bypass, as hes the Dr and he knows whats best for me thats whating having, Ive now got my date, 3rd March,12.. only 4 weeks away, :purplebananna: im happy but scared, just waiting for my pre assesment,,

Debs

That's wonderful news, Debs! All the best to you on your journey and give Mr Patel a hug from me! :D

Hi Deb,

Just a thought but why Kings? My daughter had a bypass at Chichester a year ago, has lost 12 stone, and doing really well. Loads of people there from Medway. From first seeing the consultant it took just shy of five months for the operation. The care was second to none. As I say, just a thought X