Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my initial consult with my surgeon in August. I am already on my second month of the required three month supervised diet. I am beginning to second guess my decision to have VSG. I have really been researching the complications, and I am starting to get anxious. I have a two-year-old daughter and work full-time, so I have no time to be sick from complications. I would love to hear from other sleevers that have had good/bad experiences. I have reflux now, so will it be unbearable afterwards? Last year, they found a small hiatal hernia (they told me 80% of people have them and it wasn't a bad hernia) - will this affect my surgery? Also, the possibility of leaking has me really concerned. I have also read that many people have their gallbladder removed after getting sleeved. Please tell me your situation and if the reward is worth the risks. Thanks so much! :(

First - take a deep breath. :) What you are feeling is completely normal. Don't let the possibility of complications scare you into a different decision. If you do that, then you would never be able to make the changes necessary for a healthier you. Any change involves risk. Not changing your habits also has risk as you are starting to find out. Sure, it's easier to NOT make the changes - but is it really worth it in the long run - weighing the complications of obesity and your current habits with the complications that come from this surgery and changing of your habits to healthier habits?

You will be fine. The chances of getting a really bad complication is really, really low. It's good to know about the possibilities, but do not overly obsess about them.

As far as the hernia goes - your surgeon may end up repairing it while doing your surgery. I've seen a number of people say that they had hiatal hernias before surgery and the surgeon just repaired it while doing the VSG. So, no, it shouldn't affect your surgery.

When you meet with your surgeon, ask him/her what they do to ensure there are no leaks. I asked my surgeon about that since I was concerned and he told me that they did a leak test while they had me under for surgery, and then a second one the next day. In addition, he over-stitches the staple line to ensure there are no leaks. As long as I follow his diet, I should have no leaks.

I still have my gallbladder - the ultra sound showed no stones, and my surgeon doesn't seem real concerned about me getting gallstones as long as I stay hydrated. Of course I'm just a few days post-op and that may change, but I hope not. If it does, then I'll have to have it out and will deal with it then.

Yes, the surgery is worth it! I have already lost over 15 pounds since surgery. I never would have been able to lose that much weight on my own without it taking MONTHS - and then I probably would have regained it. This way, I know I will never regain it. The sleeve is a tool that has helped me to learn a different and healthier way of eating. I am still learning, but the tool is helping me in that. I couldn't have made those changes without the help of this tool.

Only you can determine if this is right for you. But I urge you to not change your mind about doing this surgery. Think carefully about ALL options and their consequences before making your decision.

I have my initial consult with my surgeon in August. I am already on my second month of the required three month supervised diet. I am beginning to second guess my decision to have VSG. I have really been researching the complications, and I am starting to get anxious. I have a two-year-old daughter and work full-time, so I have no time to be sick from complications. I would love to hear from other sleevers that have had good/bad experiences. I have reflux now, so will it be unbearable afterwards? Last year, they found a small hiatal hernia (they told me 80% of people have them and it wasn't a bad hernia) - will this affect my surgery? Also, the possibility of leaking has me really concerned. I have also read that many people have their gallbladder removed after getting sleeved. Please tell me your situation and if the reward is worth the risks. Thanks so much! :(

The VSG is probably the least prone to complications due to its relative simplicity. There is the risk of leaks, as with all of the stomach reducing procedures including the RNY and DS, but this is an immediate postop concern the probability of which reduces to virtually nil after the first week or two. Some, or most, surgeons do leak testing a day or so after surgery before releasing you from the hospital - something that is more difficult to do with those who do "outpatient" VSG's - check with your surgeon about their procedure. The RNY and DS are more complex procedures involving some intestinal rerouting, so there are more potential leakage points with them. Longer term, adhesions can cause problems with things sticking internally that shouldn't stick, but the chances of that happening increases with the more complex procedures. The bands seem to have less risk of initial complication due to the simplicity of the procedure, but have more complications down the road from band slippage and erosion, along with statistically poorer weight loss and maintenance.

Nutritional issues are a concern with any of these procedures, particularly with the RNY and DS due to their malabsorptive components (though at least with the DS you get some benefit in return in the form of better long term weight maintenance which one doesn't really get with the RNY) but even the VSG can have some problems in this regard simply because we are eating a lot less, so there is less opportunity to get in all the nutrients that we need. So, some supplementing will probably be necessary, though not usually to the extent that is usually needed for the RNY and DS. Even pre-op, most of us need some supplementation just to make up for the typical American diet, but post-op we tend to be better educated about it so it is a bigger concern for us!

Reflux is potential problem with these procedures. There is some controversy amongst the surgeons as to ideal stomach size (if there is such a thing,) as the smaller stomachs seem to be more prone to reflux problems while it is feared that larger stomachs won't produce as much success in overall weight loss and maintenance - there is not firm consensus on this as the procedure is still relatively new and longer term data isn't very available. Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and see what he can do to tailor things for your situation.

My wife had an unknown hernia when she had her DS a few years ago, and they simply repaired it as part of the job.

On the other side of the coin, you have to weigh the risks of not doing anything, the complcations and health issues of being overweight.

Good luck with your decisions,

I had a umbilical hernia repaired during my VSG surgery as far as I'm concerned I got a twofer and don't have to go back in for another surgery. My doctor also over sews the staple line to help prevent leaking. The one reward I have so far is I haven't needed my diabetes meds since the surgery, and as a bonus I lost 11 lbs my first week.

:) Thank you all for the great responses. You all have really helped calm some of my fears. I plan on talking to the surgeon in great length about all my concerns, but it is nice hearing the encouragement from everyone.

I too am interested in all of the responses here. I also have a two year old daughter and want so desperately to be healthy for her. But I think for me, its not so much the complications of the sleeve, as it is the surgery itself. Im afraid of being put under and not waking up. I am a total control freak and hate taking even asprin, let alone being put to sleep. Sheesh!

I too am interested in all of the responses here. I also have a two year old daughter and want so desperately to be healthy for her. But I think for me, its not so much the complications of the sleeve, as it is the surgery itself. Im afraid of being put under and not waking up. I am a total control freak and hate taking even asprin, let alone being put to sleep. Sheesh!

That's a very common concern of those with children. Heck, it's a common concern even for those of us who don't have children! I always have "issues" waking up from anesthesia - I'll wake up, but not remember a thing for another hour or two afterwards (and I'll go back to sleep during that time). My surgeon did come to see me after the surgery, but it was during this time and I have no memory of him being there. I found that out the next day when I was more coherent and he came to see me again.

While there is a very slim chance of not waking up, it is most likely not going to happen. If you have had to be "put under" for any reason before, it's a very similar experience as far as waking up goes. I too was more afraid of the surgery than the possible complications. But everything worked out well. I also talked to my surgeon about my fears so he was aware of them.

Ktkx - from one control freak to another - that was the hardest part of the whole surgical experience for me - being out of control for a while. And, I planned for the worst - had my living will done, had a detailed list for my husband where all the important papers were, all account passwords, safe deposit box keys, etc. I had all my bills paid, groceries bought and the house cleaned before the surgery.

That aside - my surgery was a textbook case with no complications. I had surgery late one Tuesday morning, and left the hospital 24 hours later. My insurance would have paid another night, and the doctor wasn't pushing me out the door - but I didn't feel like I needed to stay at the hospital any longer and went home to sleep off the effects of the anasthesia. Since I arrived home - I have taken one pain pill in 5 months. Yes, there was discomfort as I was healing - but nothing a heating pad and wearing an abdominal support belt didn't take care of.

I have had no problems with vomiting - only two times have a had a problem eating too fast/too much and tossed something back up.

I had already had my gallbladder removed 20 years ago, so that wasn't an issue with me. I did have some acid issues, but take an acid pill morning and night, and a prilosec before I go to bed. No big deal.

Was it worth the risk for me? Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I don't regret my decision for one minute.

If you want a description of potential side effects and risks - look for my previous responses to other posters - I did research and have some links. I think I will post it in my status so it will be easy to find.

Thanks for your post. . . here is all I have to say about this. . . what's more of a risk. . . your OBESITY and you risking heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc and maybe making it to your kids' graduation . . . or surgery with minimal pain upon surgery and a lifelong reward of being able to be there to see your kid get married and enjoy YOUR grandkids. . . .

The decision is yours, I've been out 2 years and have not once had a major problem. . . therefore choose wisely with your doctor and do your research. . . good luck

The decision to have surgery was very easy for me to make. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, on my Dad's side of the family is obese and has heart disease or is heading toward it. My grandparents, my aunt & my dad all died before their time because of congestive heart failure. My oldest brother dropped dead at the age of 44 from a massive heart attack and just yesterday a 1st cousin died at 52 from a heart attack. I decided that I was facing an early death with the path I was on and if I died from complications of surgery then it was better than sitting around getting sicker every year waiting for death to come to me.

My remaining brothers are both well over 300lbs and several of my other cousins on my Dad's side are 400lbs or more. I love my sleeve and am thankful every. single. day. for having this chance at a healthy life.