Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to buy a few peices of equipment

for home use when I can't get out to work out because its too hot or rainy, etc. The cost of a gym is ridiculous when you consider that after a year you have to pay another years membership fee, then another, and another.... its crazy when you can spend less money and get a couple pieces that are yours forever (I am a bit of a grinch when it comes to spending $, can you tell? lol). I know I want to get a electric treadmill, any suggestions on the best one? It needs to have a weight limit of at least 250, preferably 300 since I doubt I will lose 40+ pounds b4 I need to start working out, and an inclining treadmill is on DH's "Christmas list" lol . I was also thinking about maybe an elliptical or a stationary bike but I am not sure how well my knees will do with those but hopefully once I lose some weight my knees won't be quite so vulnerable to injury (anytime I overdo it now my knees hurt for days on end). I do know for sure that we want to get something with resistance/weight training (upper, core and lower body) so that once I lose enough weight (I want to tone up not bulk up) I can use that to tone my body and DH would get alot of use out of it starting day 1- he wants something like a total gym. Any suggestions on the best options? I am thinking 2-3 (possibly 4 if they are small enough or we can fold them up when not being used) pieces of equipment is about all we will be able to fit in our tiny spare room (It currently has a queen size bed in it and VERY little floor space. Something we could fold up and store would be great to save space when its not being used but we can live with it if it doesn't as long as its a good workout (I don't want to be bored stiff the whole time I am working out).

So for those of you who like to work out, at the gym or at home, what are your favorites and what do you wish you had never bought? What vids (Jillian micheals, richard simmons, etc) and what types of vids (pilates, cardio, tai bo, etc) would you recommend for one I can really do some exercising?

I'm a DVD gal and really enjoy Barry's Boot Camp. They're so enthusiastic you can't help but feel motivated. You get resistance and cardio with Barry's Boot Camp.

I also enjoy Caribbean Workout - their urban rebounding (mini trampoline) and Step workouts. I record their workouts that are transmitted on the Body In Balance channel in the UK - I imagine they must also broadcast in the US too (they're actually Canadian, have great bods and that's really motivating for me). They also have DVDs on Amazon but I've not tried those.

I got the Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred and I found it too easy. I thought I'd get an ass kicking as I do love her on the Biggest Loser.

10 minute solution kettlebell ultimate fat burner is good. I also got Kettleworx and can't stand it. If they repeat an exercise in a workout (which they do a lot), they splice in the exact same section where they did before, so you get the same cheesey jokes several times in the same workout.

Edited to correct spelling of Jillian.

Edited by TijuanaPlication

I'm a DVD gal and really enjoy Barry's Boot Camp. They're so enthusiastic you can't help but feel motivated. You get resistance and cardio with Barry's Boot Camp.

I also enjoy Caribbean Workout - their urban rebounding (mini trampoline) and Step workouts. I record their workouts that are transmitted on the Body In Balance channel in the UK - I imagine they must also broadcast in the US too (they're actually Canadian, have great bods and that's really motivating for me). They also have DVDs on Amazon but I've not tried those.

I got the Gillian Michaels' 30 day shred and I found it too easy. I thought I'd get an ass kicking as I do love her on the Biggest Loser.

10 minute solution kettlebell ultimate fat burner is good. I also got Kettleworx and can't stand it. If they repeat an exercise in a workout (which they do a lot), they splice in the exact same section where they did before, so you get the same cheesey jokes several times in the same workout.

When I first started training again, I started on a stationary bike... once I lost some weight and got fitter, I found I was bored just sat there and it didn't really motivate me...

I also used wii fit too... that was better because there is a range of exercises that suited my mood and energy levels... it is also a lot of fun! Could that be an option?

The kettle bell is a really good idea... I am looking into it a bit at the moment 'cos I've been told that it is a great work out for all fitness ranges.

A good, cheap fat burner is the skipping rope. I started going to a boxing gym back in March and we use the ropes after our warm up... one minute on the rope then some floor work; sit ups, push ups, crunches, mountain climbers etc. You could try that? It is hard work but you can modify it to suit yourself... you hubby could train with you. When you are on the rope, he could be doing the floor work, then swap. Help motivate each other?

Just some ideas that aren't that costly?! =]

Get some 10 lb barbells. Kettlebells you need room to swing and if you spare room is small, there goes the lamp! Also, a yoga mat. Unless you have been training all along, I recommend walking for cardio and using your own weight initially for strength work. Do modified pushups (knees and feet on the floor) and stomach curls on your yoga mat. Lift the barbells above your head and behind you. Above all, keep moving!

When I first started training again, I started on a stationary bike... once I lost some weight and got fitter, I found I was bored just sat there and it didn't really motivate me...

I also used wii fit too... that was better because there is a range of exercises that suited my mood and energy levels... it is also a lot of fun! Could that be an option?

The kettle bell is a really good idea... I am looking into it a bit at the moment 'cos I've been told that it is a great work out for all fitness ranges.

A good, cheap fat burner is the skipping rope. I started going to a boxing gym back in March and we use the ropes after our warm up... one minute on the rope then some floor work; sit ups, push ups, crunches, mountain climbers etc. You could try that? It is hard work but you can modify it to suit yourself... you hubby could train with you. When you are on the rope, he could be doing the floor work, then swap. Help motivate each other?

Just some ideas that aren't that costly?! =]

Those are some good ideas and alot would work for me. I have a wii, just not the "fit "accessories. The bolded part could be a problem though. Jumping rope would have to wait until I lost some weight. I have had several ankle and foot injuries lately and they are still in a weakened state and I would hate to re-injure them and be "benched" instead of being able to work out. The push up and mountain climbers I will probably never be able to do. I broke my wrist my senior year and unbeknown to my doc and I it never healed. After my youngest was born it started to pop really hard and hurt like you know what with the tiniest movements. I had to have surgery and have bone crafted from my arm and put in my wrist and a screw put in the bones and graft to hold them together. My wrist hasn't worked right since high school and especially since the surgery. My wrist won't allow a full range of motion and it is very weak :( Unfortunately, this limits my options <_<

I like the idea of hubby training with me, but wouldn't that be difficult considering we would be in completely different places as far as what we need to accomplish? What little fat is on him I insisted on because when we first met he was so skinny his bones stuck out lol.

I have a few pieces of equipment in my home. I have weights too. I still go to the gym because it's a mental thing for me. I'm too distracted at home. Maybe when one of the kids moves out I'll make their room into a gym LOL ;) 24 Hour Fitness is around $30. Cheap, considering the equipment that I would have to buy due to weight limits is around $500-$1000 each.

I have a few pieces of equipment in my home. I have weights too. I still go to the gym because it's a mental thing for me. I'm too distracted at home. Maybe when one of the kids moves out I'll make their room into a gym LOL ;) 24 Hour Fitness is around $30. Cheap, considering the equipment that I would have to buy due to weight limits is around $500-$1000 each.

Cheapest place I have found around me is $50/person.

Cheapest place I have found around me is $50/person.

Ah... weird.

YMCA (not sure if this around you) is $27 per month http://www.dcymca.org/membership.html

Looks like there's an Anytime near you too, those are usually $35, I think.

If nothing else, Anytime and those folks usually offer a 7 day pass, you can at least try it out and see if it will be worth it to you.

Of course, you could be way more disciplined than I am. LOL.

Ah... weird.

YMCA (not sure if this around you) is $27 per month http://www.dcymca.org/membership.html

Looks like there's an Anytime near you too, those are usually $35, I think.

If nothing else, Anytime and those folks usually offer a 7 day pass, you can at least try it out and see if it will be worth it to you.

Of course, you could be way more disciplined than I am. LOL.

I will check into it again. I didn't call the places just asked a friend if she new what the cheapest place in town was :) No, not more disciplined just a tightwad lol.

I like the Wii Dance games and Turbo Jam. I am probably getting Hip Hop Abs this wk. I have a gazelle Glider and ablounger. I know the glider folds down for sforage. Someone gave me a Bowflex, waiting on DH to put it together for me.

:)

I like the Wii Dance games and Turbo Jam. I am probably getting Hip Hop Abs this wk. I have a gazelle Glider and ablounger. I know the glider folds down for sforage. Someone gave me a Bowflex, waiting on DH to put it together for me.

:)

I like the Wii dance games too, I just wish I could get into them more but my knees don't make that very easy. At least it fun though and it gets you sweating ;)

I have a total gym and i love it!! i got it off of qvc for like $300 with flex pay.

walking is free and burns a lot of calories, i did this for the first 75/lbs lost. still do walking, but i use my total gym more now for cardio and strentgh.

Kelly :)

I have a Sears treadmill, and a Golds gym elliptcial machine. I bought the ellptical at a yard sale for $20 ( including delivery ). I also have bought numerous workout dvds, many still in wraper, at yard sales. My favorite is yoga for strength ( it shapes the body the best). I find if I have my tv on and am watch a action/adventure, while on my elliptical I get a very good cardio ( after all, I have to move faster to get away from the scary sceenes).

If you go for an eliptical, be sure to try it out. I had one that I bought from QVC many years ago and it was so squeaky I couldn't hear the TV!!! angry.gif

I have a Sears treadmill, and a Golds gym elliptcial machine. I bought the ellptical at a yard sale for $20 ( including delivery ). I also have bought numerous workout dvds, many still in wraper, at yard sales. My favorite is yoga for strength ( it shapes the body the best). I find if I have my tv on and am watch a action/adventure, while on my elliptical I get a very good cardio ( after all, I have to move faster to get away from the scary sceenes).