Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Weeks Post Op - So far FANTASTIC

Hi,

I am an Aussie, not too sure that there are many of us on here, but I haven't had a proper look yet either! Sing out if you too are an Aussie :D

Had my surgery 3 weeks ago, and already I am happy with how things are going! I have already lost 13 kgs and am looking forward to shedding the other 35 to get to my goal weight :D I have found the whole thing to be easier than I first expected. I had done a lot of research and read a lot of forums of people who have undergone surgery and I was pretty anxious going in. However, it seems that what they say is true, all patients are different! I had a 2 night stay in hospital and then came home for a 2 week lay about in bed. For the 2 weeks at home I was on nothing but clear fluids, which were taken at no more than 50mls every 30 minutes. I also had 2 x 200ml protien shakes spread across the day in 50ml portions. It was tough, but knowing what the results would be, I found that to be the motivation to keep going. This past week I have gone back to work and found that it was easy enough to do.

I have graduated from the Fluid phase and am now having purees :D The dietician said "whatever you want, just puree it!". This was exciting, until I looked at things that you could actually puree that would taste half decent! All good, a little imagination and some recipe research and I have made it through. Tomorrow, I am starting on minced/mashed food and cannot wait! I am looking at introducing beef mince and chicken to the diet for Protein through some terrific recipes I have been able to find! Things are positive and looking up! I am still surprised at how I can stay so full for so long on 1/2 cup of food at a time.

I am also intrigued to know if anyone else has lost the ability to feel hunger. In the past 3 weeks, at not stage I have I felt hungry at all! I think it's great, but not too sure if this is what everyone goes through or not. I get the feeling that I am empty because I get tired and a little cranky, but it's not a feeling of hunger as such. What is everyone else feeling?

Looking forward to discussing the journey with other people who have had the same procedure. Really looking forward to keeping up the motivation and perhaps even inspiring others through sharing success!

Ciao for now :D

weight.png

Congratulations! I too am no longer hungry. However, it seems at about 3 hours my brain says "it's time to eat" and I know I should at that point (I'm eating about 5-6 times a day). It's great that I don't feel hunger anymore. Head hunger on the other hand is such a pain. Thankfully, I'm able to identify it now and deal with it.

I am only allowed to have 3 meals a day + one snack all of about 1/2 a cup. So i usually have Breakfast, lunch & dinner all at the same time everyday and then I have the snack when I need that little bit extra between meals. I find that tea is a good thing between meals to beat that empty feeling.

Just started my 3rd week...I'm doing great also. Yes and no on the hunger...I get that empty feeling and sometimes a little hunger "naw". Don't know how to describe it, but I know I need to eat. I'd love to hear some of your fav puree recipes. Just the thought of it cuts my appetite. lol

Nice to hear from you. Keep up the good work!

Susan

p.s., lived in Aussie from 1968 - 1979...was just a kid; still have a brother, sister, and neices and nephews there

Thanks for sharing your story! It is so nice to hear how everyone is doing post-op with hunger so I know what to expect in a couple of weeks.

Never been to Australia but it is on my hubby's "bucket list"

Take care and keep up the good work!