Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This whole not drinking while eating...

I just don't know if I will ever be able to do it. I'm a rule follower, and I'm really trying but I don't think I'll ever get it. :huh:

[ get it for the band, it makes total sense. But I don't buy it for the sleeve either. In fact, I asked my doctor about it and he told me that I could drink while eating. At first I felt a little nauseous but now I have no problems at all and I do not have trouble with hunger. I still pretty much have to remind myself that I better eat. I do not get hungry and it does not seem to influence the amount that I can eat.

Like the others I guess you should follow your doctor's instructions, luckily for me, mine does not have a problem with drinking while eating. If I were not able to drink while eating and have to wait 30 minutes to an hour after eating to drink I really wouldn't be able to get my liquid in. I have a hard enough time as it is.

Good luck to everyone!

OK, I've done some more digging. This link I found http://drsimpson.net/07_surgery_stories%20(ss)/7_ss_02/duodenal%20switch/duodenal_switch.htm says "unlike the gastric bypass, patients with the DS can eat and drink at the same time". I've also read elsewhere DSers saying they eat and drink at the same time and VSG is half way to DS (minus intestinal re-routing of course).

When I was first looking into GPS surgeons were saying it was OK to eat and drink at the same time, but then this advice was revised and they recommended not eating and drinking together.

Personally I'll only have a small sip at most while eating, as I prefer to try and not eat and drink from my food combining days.

I think this one's like the straw debate - some surgeons are OK with it and others aren't. Ultimately you have to do what works for you.

OK, I've done some more digging. This link I found http://drsimpson.net/07_surgery_stories%20(ss)/7_ss_02/duodenal%20switch/duodenal_switch.htm says "unlike the gastric bypass, patients with the DS can eat and drink at the same time". I've also read elsewhere DSers saying they eat and drink at the same time and VSG is half way to DS (minus intestinal re-routing of course).

When I was first looking into GPS surgeons were saying it was OK to eat and drink at the same time, but then this advice was revised and they recommended not eating and drinking together.

Personally I'll only have a small sip at most while eating, as I prefer to try and not eat and drink from my food combining days.

I think this one's like the straw debate - some surgeons are OK with it and others aren't. Ultimately you have to do what works for you.

I think you have hit on an important point, and that is that many of the rules that are imposed on some of us are a holdover from RNY experience and many surgeons still don't have enough experience with the VSG to break out a new program for it. That video link is a good demonstration as to why the non-drinking is important for the RNYers; thankfully, the pyloris is smarter than an RNY pouch. though no doubt that effect is still there to some extent. That said, my surgeon's instructions follow the general trend of avoiding drinking before, during and after eating, despite him being primarily a DS guy, though they don't seem to be as firm about it as some practices are. I don't drink the volume of Water, milk and/or tea that I used to around meals, but I can't avoid sipping some while eating.

I drink almost right up until I eat, but refrain from drinking during my meal unless it's just an occasioonal tiny sip to keep from choking. I usually keep plain Water on hand, and since i don't like plain water, this also discourages me from drinking during meals. I then set my phone alarm for 30-40 mins then start drinking. It's not that hard for me cuz I started doing it months before my surgery. Also, the amount of food is so small during my meals so I don't get overly thirsty.

:)

I went for my one week follow-up earlier this week, and I got a new list of dos and don't from the nut. The latest info I go said to avoid drinking with meals...then in parenthesis it said (no more than 1/2 cup). That made me feel a whole lot better. I can totally do that!!

I follow the " no drinks with food", but isn't something like minestrone afoot and a liquid? I've had chunky Soups with no problem and fill up quickly.

Wow, looking at your ticker you're certainly doing OK so keep doing what you're doing (just ensure you get your Protein in).

I follow the " no drinks with food", but isn't something like minestrone afoot and a liquid? I've had chunky Soups with no problem and fill up quickly.

I think, and this is just IMHO, that this is BS. I CANNOT eat and not drink, although I don't drink anywhere near as much as I used to. I used to drink 2 or 3 glasses of Water ever with every meal. Now it's maybe ONE, and consumed during the meal. IN a restaurant I usually polish of a glass of whatever I'm drinking prior to the entree being served and another glass during, I sometimes have them get me a drink to go too and sip on it for the next hour or so.

I am going on 8 months out and have lost about 150 pounds so it must be working despite my "flushing food through my stomach" . I also do not get hungry, at least like I used to. I just get a small sensation that whispers, "Hey, maybe you should eat something.", not the ravenous tummy screaming at me "FEED ME . . . NOW!".

I'm with Rootman. I tend to drink right up until it's time to eat. When I'm fixing dinner, I've got my cup of whatever. I used to seriously suck back drinks when I ate pre-sleeve. Now, I'll have a few sips if I need or want them and I'm fine. If I take too big a drink (or too much) I'm overly full. I swear, at least with my body, the no eating/drinking together has more to do with my personal comfort and NOT eating enough in protein/nutrition etc because there's already liquid there rather than it pushing the food out if that makes sense.