Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Re: Psych Eval

Dr Borao wants a psychiatric evaluation done (among other thing) before submitting to my insurance. My plan does not cover this and the Psychologist that he gave me is quite expensive, he did say I can use any licensed or registered Psychologist or Psychiatrist. My husband has a friend who is a licensed Psychologist in NY who after speaking with me has determined I am sane :banana and that I researched the band in depth and I understand the work involved to be successful as well as the risks involved. I believe this is what the insurance company is looking for. The thing is he has never done a pre surgical evaluation before and is not sure what to write or include in the letter. Does any one perhaps have a sample letter or can advise as to how it should be written

Hi Beth,

Unfortunately, the therapist my surgeon sent me to didn't share her actual letter with me. I just got a sort of pre-printed checklist on which she indicated that I was "cleared for surgery." I don't know what else she might have had to include.

I think the psych eval is more a requirement of the surgeon than the insurance company. Dr. Borao probably just wants the therapist to say that you clearly understand the risks and consequences of banding surgery and that he believes you would be compliant. If he mentions an absence of depression or any compulsive behaviors that would be a good thing too.

It makes sense that it's the surgeon who requires it because it's on his head that he's recommending you for surgery. The insurance company only wants to know that HE is declaring you fit for surgery. So the letter should be written in that vein, to Dr. Borao, about your comprehension and ability to comply.

Beth, my insurance company required my psych evaluation, not my surgeon. It is not clear to me if your insurance company is the one who requires it. If they do, you then need to ask them what they are looking for. My insurance company wanted to know the following three criteria:

1) Am I an alcoholic?

2) Am I a drug abuser?

3) Do I have any psychological disorders?

If the doctor is the only one that requires it, the only thing he/she wants to know is if you are aware of your decision and understand the ramifications and risks of the surgery. Although the fatality rate of the band is less than .01 to .02 percent, doctors still want to cover their backs.

P.S. An added note: it is my understanding that there is a legal issue in most states of having a friend or acquaintance who is a shrink or psychologist doing your evaluation. One could say that he is writing the letter and knew you had issues and is doing you a favor.I know you want to save money, so the best place to find a psychologist that supports bariatric surgery is on the website for www.obesityhelp.com. THey have a list of bariatric friendly psychologists.

My husband is going through this right now as well, too, and the surgeon is the one requiring the psych eval (as well as nutritionist eval). His doctor gave us a handout detailing exactly what needed to be addressed in the evaluation. Give your doc a call. I am sure he has a list of questions that need to be addressed.

Tami;)

I'm still confused because my GP did my psyc eval. She just wrote that I didn't have unrealistic expectations and I wasn't a psycotic (SP?) It was just included with her regular referral letter.