Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think God has opened a door :)

I have been researching WLS for a couple of years now, knowing that my husband and I could not easily afford it. It wasn't until a few months ago that I found out I could get the sleeve done in Mexico for 1/3 to 1/2 of the price. I was denied over and over again by the medical finance companies that work with the surgeons. So, I sat down and made a budget thinking that I could probably have enough money saved up in a year. I was disappointed because I just turned 29 and wanted to be near my goal weight before I turn 30 (no real reason, just a goal I had set). I told my mom and husband about the going to Mexico idea, and even though they were afraid of going there (because of the statistics of violence in the city I had chosen to have the surgery in) they were still supportive. I've been praying about the decision, wanting to make sure I am following God's plan and not my own. Then yesterday, while browsing on this forum, I found a posting about a doctor in a neighboring state that has a pretty affordable cash price for surgery. I looked up his website and he sounds like a great surgeon. The price is more expensive than in Mexico, but less than most US doctors. It would take me a little bit longer to save up, but at least he is only 4 hours away instead of over 13 hours away in Mexico (we were going to drive because we are both terrified of flying!). I told my mom about it and she was elated at hearing that I wouldn't have to go to Mexico (she is a worry wart! lol). In fact, so much that she offered to loan me $8000 of the money for the surgery. I didn't know what to do at first. I feel bad taking my mom's money. But, I then realized that maybe this is God opening a door for me. I have every intention of paying her back within a year. I'm praying that if this is the path He has chosen for me, that I follow it the way He wants me to. This all happened during a weekend, so I am dying to call the surgeon's office tomorrow morning first thing and get more information and details. I want to make sure he is the doctor for me. I am so excited for what HE has in store for me! Just wanted to give my testimony! Any prayers about this decision would be greatly appreciated :)

Prayers going up! What a blessing to have those doors opening for you.

I have been researching WLS for a couple of years now, knowing that my husband and I could not easily afford it. It wasn't until a few months ago that I found out I could get the sleeve done in Mexico for 1/3 to 1/2 of the price. I was denied over and over again by the medical finance companies that work with the surgeons. So, I sat down and made a budget thinking that I could probably have enough money saved up in a year. I was disappointed because I just turned 29 and wanted to be near my goal weight before I turn 30 (no real reason, just a goal I had set). I told my mom and husband about the going to Mexico idea, and even though they were afraid of going there (because of the statistics of violence in the city I had chosen to have the surgery in) they were still supportive. I've been praying about the decision, wanting to make sure I am following God's plan and not my own. Then yesterday, while browsing on this forum, I found a posting about a doctor in a neighboring state that has a pretty affordable cash price for surgery. I looked up his website and he sounds like a great surgeon. The price is more expensive than in Mexico, but less than most US doctors. It would take me a little bit longer to save up, but at least he is only 4 hours away instead of over 13 hours away in Mexico (we were going to drive because we are both terrified of flying!). I told my mom about it and she was elated at hearing that I wouldn't have to go to Mexico (she is a worry wart! lol). In fact, so much that she offered to loan me $8000 of the money for the surgery. I didn't know what to do at first. I feel bad taking my mom's money. But, I then realized that maybe this is God opening a door for me. I have every intention of paying her back within a year. I'm praying that if this is the path He has chosen for me, that I follow it the way He wants me to. This all happened during a weekend, so I am dying to call the surgeon's office tomorrow morning first thing and get more information and details. I want to make sure he is the doctor for me. I am so excited for what HE has in store for me! Just wanted to give my testimony! Any prayers about this decision would be greatly appreciated :)

Lifting prayers up for you... Sounds like the doors are opening; if it is God's will I pray he keeps opening the doors and that he gives you a peace about it - that everything will fall into place!

Thank you so much for that!! And hey- I just noticed we are from the same neck of the woods; I live in the Jackson area of MS :)

Prayers going up! What a blessing to have those doors opening for you.

I am on the coast :)

Thank you so much for that!! And hey- I just noticed we are from the same neck of the woods; I live in the Jackson area of MS :)

Well, it does seem that everything is falling into place! I was nervous before calling the doctor's office, (I don't know why, I guess I was afraid it all sounded too good to be true, lol). But I got all of my questions answered and even scheduled the initial visit for next month, since I am still saving up the remainder of the cost. Thank you for the prayers! God has truly answered them for me!

Just curious .. Which surgeon did you decide on ? Good luck and congratulations :)

I'm using Dr. Borland in Louisiana. I've heard really great things about him, and since I am self-pay, I love his price ($9800), lol. Thank you!

God is opening doors for you and it is such a blessing that your mom was able to help you and you can be closer to home. He always works things out. You are in my prayers!