Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I learned at my Nut Class

Surgery set for next Monday, July 11th. So today was my Pre-op and Nut class.

After surgery diet:

Stage 1 Day 1-21

Full liquid including Protein supplements (only liquids that go easily through a strainer) No Jello.

fruit juices, Protein supplements, cream Soups (thinned), broth, Skim or 1% milk, sugar free drink mixes, Water, SF popsicles, and Decaf tea/coffee.

Stage 2 Day 22-42

Soft solid foods

Stage 3 After day 43

Regular bariatric diet

Try to consume:

60 oz of liquid per day

60 gms of Protein per day

Protein supplements: per 8 oz, 200 or less calories, at least 15 gms of protein (whey, egg, casein or soy based) and less than 5 grams of sugar.

The paperworks says to AVOID alcohol, caffeine and carbonation. The nut says to NEVER have them for the rest of your life. The room of people started to freak out. NEVER, ever again???? It was almost comical.

Her reasoning is that it can cause ulcers.

Vitamins and Minerals

NO gummies. What? No gummies. I went out and bought my adult gummie Vitamins this past weekend. Now I can't have them. The thought of chewing up a chalky Vitamin just makes me gag. But I guess no choice now. Anyone have one they love? LOL

Take 2 Multivitamin per day

Take 1500-2000 mg pre day of Calcium. chewable calcium citrate plus Vitamin D and magnesium. You are only suppose to take 500 mg at a time. So take it throughout the day.

Vitamin B12: 1000 mcg sublingual once per week.

All the above vitamins are to be taken FOREVER! I guess that is when it hit me...Forever? Really? Not sure what I was thinking, but this statement made it REAL for me. Part of my stomach is removed and now I have to take this stuff forever to be healthy.

Also Decaf FOREVER!! That was kinda hard to hear for me. I can do without the soda's, but if I wanted some good coffee, it has to be decaf :(

PRE-OP class was interesting too. Like most have said, No nail polish, toes or fingers. Lots of good info on what to expect at the facility I'll be at. We also got a tour of the hospital. Oh and no straws....forever. LOL ;)

I'm still very excited about my surgery. A little more scared and nervous than before. I guess this just all made it more real for me.

I'm also interested if others surgeons or nuts gave you similar info on the above or not. I know alot of docs are different. And I know the info they gave us today was to help us work the sleeve to the best we can to not only lose the weight but to keep off the weight.

Good luck on your surgery and thanks for sharing what you are learning! I'm just beginning my journey and all the information I can gather helps!

Doctors seem to vary on strictness. Mine allows alcohol and caffeine after one year. I LOVE bubbles in drinks. I will miss that the most of anything. My Doc did warn me that some people can never have carbonated drinks again because it causes pain and others find it is no problem. But it is best to follow your Doc's advice... well at least for a year.. LOL

Khy

I went to nut class today too. We were told basically the same info, except some of our numbers are different. Calcium has to be 1200-15-- mg per day. Vitamin B12 is 2500 mcg per week. Other than that, we were about the same. Caffeine causes different issues for people. I'm thinking that after a while a cup of coffee once in a while isn't going to be too damaging. I'll suck up the Decaf if I must.. lol

Heather, its funny how the info differs from doc to doc. LOL

I think my doc is being very careful and knows for some people he has to be very strict and straight forward. It's like the people you give an inch and they take a mile or two. I get it when they say, every once in a while is ok. But for some, that once in a while turns into a daily thing and then they stall or gain.

I don't know why some doctors say no straws. Everything they brought me in the hospital came with a straw. I can't drink without a straw.

I know. There were only 2 of us in the class. The guy that was there was getting bypass, and has a different doctor. When the lady that was teaching us would mention a rule, she would look at me and say, Heather, your doctor is a little more lenient and let's her patients learn as they go. By the end of the class I think Mr. Bypass was ready to switch to MY surgeon! lol

Heather, its funny how the info differs from doc to doc. LOL

I think my doc is being very careful and knows for some people he has to be very strict and straight forward. It's like the people you give an inch and they take a mile or two. I get it when they say, every once in a while is ok. But for some, that once in a while turns into a daily thing and then they stall or gain.

Best wishes on Monday ! ! !

Most of that plan is super strict, and pretty rigid. I've been drinking caffeine since being about 6 weeks out. I drink soda and have for 18 of my 25 months post-op. All with the go-ahead from my surgeon and nutritionist. Our losing plan was strict, but maintenance is much more lax. The no caffeine rule applied only until I could drink enough clear fluids to compensate for the diuretic effect of caffeine. As for ulcers, the risk for marginal ulcers is slim to none with VSG and/or gastrectomies unless the patients has had a history of ulcerative conditions. This is well documented in studies with VSG and gastrectomy patients that did not have it performed for weight loss. The low risk of ulcers with VSG is the main reason that NSAIDS are allowed with VSG and not with RNY.

As for Vitamins, with the calcium citrate and your multi (the multi needs to have iron), do not take the citrate and multi within 2 hours of each other as the Calcium counteracts the Iron from being absorbed. I'm glad to hear your nut discourage Gummie Vitamins as they are not a complete Vitamin for most adults.

I still take chewables, not only because they work for me, but because I kind of just suck up the chalkiness and move on. They go down easily, and well, they have not ever failed me on my labs.

I choose to use Celebrate Multi complete (includes Iron), and their calcium citrate Plus 500 (which contains Vit D and Magnesium). I have been allowed to remain on this regimen in my pregnancy, and my labs have remained stellar in the pregnancy since the formulation of Celebrate actually beats some of the more potent pre-natals on Iron and Folic Acid counts.

You can order samples from Bariatric Advantage, and Celebrate Vitamins to see which ones you might like to use. I personally hated all the BA supplement/vitamins. With the Celebrate, I'm able to take (chew) just 4 chewables per day. I'm further out and only need 1000mg of Citrate, and take 2 of the Multi completes per day. Early out, I had to take 3 of Calciums because I was to take 1200-1500mg per day in the early months because my intake was so low.

I use a sublingual B12 2500mcg from Walmart, and pop one under my tonuge 3-4 days a week.

I don't remember the brand, but there's a bariatric Multivitamin that come in crystal form - you dissolve it in a small glass of Water, and if I recall correctly, it's berry flavored. I got a sample pre-op, and plan to order some soon. I hate to waste the Vitamins I bought, so I'm sucking it up until theyre gone, but I think the crystals were much easier to tolerate. Try BariatricChoice.com.

Edited: they're Bariatric Advantage. BariatricChoice doesn't appear to carry it, but other suppliers do. A bit pricey I'm afraid, but hey, we are cheap eaters these days right? :P

They say no straws because straws cause gas , And you dont want any extra gas in your tummy!. If i happen to use a straw bc I will not drink from a can and dont have a cup on hand, I just make sure to not gulp and once if goes in my mouth wait a min to swallow slowelyyyyy!!!! when i gulp which a straw has a tendency to make you do it hurts.

I don't know why some doctors say no straws. Everything they brought me in the hospital came with a straw. I can't drink without a straw.

Wow so crazy how all of these surgeons have different rules, I wonder why ? I have never heard of being able to drink soda Im my office its a huge NoNo mainly due to the carbonation I guess and what it can do to your sleeve . Glad everyththing is okay with you drinking it, I just wonder wouldnt you think there were a certain set of guidleines I guess these doctors have a us do what "they" believe is important , cuz like i said in another post I cant eat anything except stinkin broth 4 weeks post op and I thought that was crazy since I know other people on here had other stuff way before.

Best wishes on Monday ! ! !

Most of that plan is super strict, and pretty rigid. I've been drinking caffeine since being about 6 weeks out. I drink soda and have for 18 of my 25 months post-op. All with the go-ahead from my surgeon and nutritionist. Our losing plan was strict, but maintenance is much more lax. The no caffeine rule applied only until I could drink enough clear fluids to compensate for the diuretic effect of caffeine. As for ulcers, the risk for marginal ulcers is slim to none with VSG and/or gastrectomies unless the patients has had a history of ulcerative conditions. This is well documented in studies with VSG and gastrectomy patients that did not have it performed for weight loss. The low risk of ulcers with VSG is the main reason that NSAIDS are allowed with VSG and not with RNY.

As for Vitamins, with the Calcium Citrate and your multi (the multi needs to have iron), do not take the citrate and multi within 2 hours of each other as the Calcium counteracts the Iron from being absorbed. I'm glad to hear your nut discourage Gummie Vitamins as they are not a complete Vitamin for most adults.

I still take chewables, not only because they work for me, but because I kind of just suck up the chalkiness and move on. They go down easily, and well, they have not ever failed me on my labs.

I choose to use Celebrate Multi complete (includes Iron), and their calcium citrate Plus 500 (which contains Vit D and Magnesium). I have been allowed to remain on this regimen in my pregnancy, and my labs have remained stellar in the pregnancy since the formulation of Celebrate actually beats some of the more potent pre-natals on Iron and Folic Acid counts.

You can order samples from Bariatric Advantage, and Celebrate Vitamins to see which ones you might like to use. I personally hated all the BA supplement/vitamins. With the Celebrate, I'm able to take (chew) just 4 chewables per day. I'm further out and only need 1000mg of Citrate, and take 2 of the Multi completes per day. Early out, I had to take 3 of Calciums because I was to take 1200-1500mg per day in the early months because my intake was so low.

I use a sublingual B12 2500mcg from Walmart, and pop one under my tonuge 3-4 days a week.

I know. I was shocked after reading so many people on here were on liquids for weeks after surgery to find out yesterday that my surgeon wants her patients on Mushies once home from surgery!

Wow so crazy how all of these surgeons have different rules, I wonder why ? I have never heard of being able to drink soda Im my office its a huge NoNo mainly due to the carbonation I guess and what it can do to your sleeve . Glad everyththing is okay with you drinking it, I just wonder wouldnt you think there were a certain set of guidleines I guess these doctors have a us do what "they" believe is important , cuz like i said in another post I cant eat anything except stinkin broth 4 weeks post op and I thought that was crazy since I know other people on here had other stuff way before.

My nut said the same thing about straws and caffeine. The reason behind them are straws can cause gas and caffeine will slow down your healing.

I used a straw after about 3 weeks and have not had issues. I love straws!! Also wasn't supposed to chew gum, but I do! I did NOT have caffeine until yesterday and I was 8 weeks out on Monday! I had an iced tea from Starbucks with a straw in it!!!!!!!!!!

I am such a rebel!!

Kelly :D