Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!! 2weeks, no restriction and hungry!!

It will only be 2 weeks this coming wed. and I am on soft and mushy. I am still hungry after 4 oz. and I don't feel any restriction!!! What is going on? Also, stalled already. Lost 17lbs. the first week and now nothing this week. Feeling Extremely fustrated that I am the one this surgery won't work for. What do I do if I'm still hungry after 4 oz. Does everyone just eat 3 meals a day or do people still have a small healthy snack. My MD said NO to any snack but if I'm hungry???? Any help would be appreciated.

Do NOT go over your 4 ounces! You don't "feel" hungry because things are still numb there and your brain isn't getting the msg that your tummy is fully. That takes time. What I personally would do is have 5 or even 6 small meals a day. I don't go over 2 hours without putting something in my mouth. I can't eat 1/4 cup of anything still, but I make sure I take a few bites of something. So maybe you'd do better with several small meals instead of 3 "large" ones.

Keep in mind, this is my body, my sleeve and so I'm doing what feels right for ME. Whats right for you may be totally different and you may not feel comfortable going against doctors orders, and that's fine too. My doctor doesn't want me eating only 3 meals a day, he advocates eating about 5 times a day.

Renee`

You won't feel a lot of restriction until you start eating dense foods. Soft, mushy foods go straight through for the most part. That is why when you get on a full diet you really have to watch slider foods. They dont stay with you long and let you eat more.

Are you on an acid reducer/PPI??? If you have eaten and still feel hungry afterwards or too soon after eating, then it could be acid. The acid reducer helps significantly. It won't feel like heartburn, but a rumbling, hungry feeling. Keep measuring foods, as someone said, you will feel more restriction with dense Protein during solids stage. But I have to eat every 2-3 hrs too, call em meals or Snacks, but to get in the amount of protein we are suppose to get, I have to do that. Later on, it might be possible to get enough protein in 3 meals, but early out it's difficult.

:)

When u guys first started soft foods, how much did u start with? I too could probably eat / drink 4 oz Soup or liquid in one sitting. And thinking that ill be eating only 4 tablespoons seems so impossible to me.

I still only eat a few tablespoons, sometimes less depending on the food. I seriously eat on the run though. I'll take a bite as I'm passing through, then pass through again and take another bite, etc. etc. I never sit down and eat because I tend to eat to fast so even though it's 1/4 cup, I eat it to fast (or to much!) and then end up sick. Taking a bite at a time every few minutes works for me but still, yeah, only a few tablespoons at a time and then I'm done.

Renee`

Im 5 days away from being 1 month post op.... and im hungry, all the time. I dont know what the hell is going on with me but I dont like it. Im supposed to be on 2oz of full liquids 3 times a day only .. and the dr said i could start incorporating softs since his diet technically goes from full liquids directly to solids at 5 wks. So i have done soft scrambled eggs, deviled eggs, and putting crackers in my soup...... i get full but then 2 hrs later im hungry. On top of that.. 2 oz is not really filling me up. I also think Ive hit a stall as far as weight loss.. so I am really not feelin this. I cant eat what I want, nor am i losing much right now. This is a nightmare....... and honestly i am still wishing that i didnt do this!!!!!!!!!! :(

Tamz, 2oz was a starting point, if you can do more then do it. I have 8oz of Soup with Protein Powder in it or 8oz of a Protein Shake. The nut and dr hamn said 2oz is a starting point so if I could do more, great. I think you should call the office, sounds like you're not hardly getting anything in especially if you're only eating 3X day. Good luck!!!

Just following what my packet says though :( says 2oz 3 times a day for 5 wks. Plus Protein Drinks in between. . . For 5 wks. No one told me it was just a starting point :( ugh

I'm 3 weeks out and I can eat a 5oz yogurt with no problems or feelings of restriction in about 30-40 minutes. Usually when I feel what I think is faint hunger (it doesn't feel like the old hunger), I can just drink some gatorade or Water or something and the feeling goes away. If I drink and I feel it again a short time later, I assume that it must be time to eat something. I eat on a very loose schedule. My body always seems to want to be fed at around the same times. The only time that changes is if I slack off on my fluids.

When I was first out and felt hungry I had a drink of Water... still do now, a year out ... in the early days not only is your tummy healing, your body is confused and you mind is in a spin!

If it isn't 'meal time' and you get hungry, try a sip or two of water... it might not work for you but it certain;y helped me then and now.... good luck!

with so many variations in diets I find that I just do what it takes. I am still struggling with Protein, and i just can't drink another Protein Drink. I cook a piece of salmon and a piece of halibut and graze on it over the day. I take a couple of spirulina tablets. I honestly do not think you can just eat 3 times a day or even 5. i can't even fathom putting anything into my body but protein at this point, but i do use butter to cook with. a little fat is ok for you. the fish is already fatty, but i need the protein more than i need to lose weight fast. i am not anywhere near drinking 64 oz yet, and i maybe need to push things a little to see where i can go when it comes to Water. i am never hungry ever. i eat because i have to. i think you need to do whatever it is you need to do in order to get in your nutrition. i refuse to have anymore anything with artificial sweetners. this sleeve is trick, but i had to experiment.

I'm not quite 5 weeks out, and was told the usual 2 weeks Fluid, 2 weeks puree, and 2 weeks mashed - but I felt able to eat food sooner, and I have been eating normal food for the last couple of weeks. I do eat very small portions, and make a huge effort to chew it properly. The time I didn't chew my food, when I was chatting to friends at the same time as I was eating, and boy did I know about it. It felt as if it was going to come back, but didn't, and in fact I haven't been sick at all, not even after the op.

I think as long as you are sensible, and don't rush everything all at once, you can try foods a bit sooner. Listen to your sleeve, it will tell you if you do anything wrong. I eat such a small amount, I have to split my daily food up into around 5 meals. I don't actually count, but eat when I think I should. I do have a hunger, but I think it's just acid with nothing to work on.

I've been out this evening for a meal, and I had a starter portion of Stilton Mushrooms with 3 slices of french stick. I managed to eat about half, but my hubby polished off the rest for me :D I hate wasted food, but have learnt to leave some.

We are given guidance from the surgeon and team, but no one knows your body the way you do. I can't possibly have done anything wrong, as my recovery from the op has been fantastic. From day 3 after the op right up to now and eating everything I ate before, (but much much less!) I have felt brilliant.

Like June13sleever I find it difficult to get as much Protein in as I should every day. I can't do Protein shakes or bars at all, they just make me gag. I'm looking forward to some chicken livers tomorrow though, as they are good for Protein and Iron ;)