Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my docs VERY strick diet

Guest ShuzyQ

Guest ShuzyQ

I was wondering if anyone else was advised to have only Clear liquids for the first 4 weeks? I am not supposed to have soft foods until week 6 and then at week 9 I can start real food but I am only supposed to have 1 oz. (1/8 cup) 3 times a day.

It has been driving me crazy! I want to chew!! But when I look at 1/8 cup it hardly seems worth it.

I asked the patient advocate why the diet was so strick and she said they want to get the weight off as fast as possible to trick the body. Apparently the body realized it is starving and starts holding on to every little bit of weight it can.

I should mention that I am drinking 3 Protein shakes a day and taking Vitamin and mineral supliments.

This in NOT advice from Dr. Rumbaut - It is from the Dr. I see here at home.

That does seem strange losing to much wt. to fast is not good either.I thought with the band we were to lose slower and that is safer.I will be watching the posts to this as I am to be banded on Monday.My dr. said to expect to lose 1-2 lbs. a week and thats all he wanted because it is safe. i will only be on liquids 1 week after then mushy. Roxanne

It sounds to me like your doctor isn't quite sure of the differences between the lap band and the gastric bypass. That sure sounds like a bypass patient's menu to me.

I'd go with Dr. Rumbaut's menu. After all, he's one of the best surgeons out there and one of the most experienced as well. Don't forget, he also has a band. I'm following his rules! :D

I'm curious as to why you'd disregard your surgeon's rules and follow another doctor's? Especially since Dr. Rumbaut is highly experienced and even has a band himself.

Remember, this period is not about weight loss, it's about healing. Do what your *surgeon* tells you to do.

Guest ShuzyQ

The Dr. I am seeing here does bypass and lap surgery. It was his office that set me up with Dr. Rumbaut.

I think he has his lap patients follow the same plan as bypass so that they lose the weight at the same rate.

I've decided to follow a more sensible (to myself anyway) plan. I'm really not interrested in losing my hair!!!

I measured out 1/4 cup of chili last night and it filled me up nicely. It was so nice to eat real food again!

Thanks everyone!

260/249/145

Shuzy,

You need to check out one of the posts on the support forum. I think the title was something about Not losing. Someone several replys down posted a "stage" plan where the first stage is just Water, second stage is Clear Liquids, next stage is thicker liquids and so on. This person indicated that as soon as they felt they were tollerating the current stage well they could try the next. If they had trouble they were to go back a stage for a few days then try again.

I did the liquid for 2 weeks and I was starving. I was really low on energy. I started putting chicken in the blender to mush it up and then thought this is rediculous, so I just tried chewing it very slowly and I did fine. Being on solid foods and more Protein has made all the difference. Now I have all my energy back and am exercising twice a day.

I don't understand the philosophy of putting yourself in starvation mode. That defeats the purpose of eating less.

Unfortunately every doctor has a different diet for us to follow!

My surgeon also had me follow a strict RNY diet...and I was MISERABLE! Sure I lost 32lbs in the first 6 weeks, but I was not happy! The problem is that we don't have the tiny RNY pouches and most of us don't have any restriction pre-fill. So how is it that we are to live on an RNY portion of food or liquids when we don't even have the same set-up?

My surgeon and I had a real long talk about this at my 6 week postop follow-up appt. I don't think he completely saw the error of his ways, but he did change his diet requirements around for his lapband patients.

I think you need to do whatever is going to get you out of starvation mode. It isn't healthy! I had huge hairloss, low energy, and depression because of this.

We did NOT have the RNY!

Wednesday, you are my hero. WOW, I was at my pre-op consult last week, and while I was waiting, I was looking at the before and after pictures. WOW, what cna I say. You look fantastic!!! You are truly an inspiration for all of us. Congratulations!!

I also have a very strict surgeon who would like all of his patients to stay on clear liquids for 40 days. Well, that is too much, especially when most other plans are 2 weeks liquids with Protein Shakes etc. so I am following a modified plan somewhere in between the two. I have a yoghurt for Breakfast, skim milk latte mid morning, for lunch and dinner, Soup of almost any kind as long as everything in it is really well cooked and mushy. I drink a cup of soy milk a day, 1/2 cup whey Protein Drink, 1/2 c.jello, 1/2 c. nonfat pudding and all the Water, tea and crystal light I want during the day. I am at 24 days and have lost 20 pounds and feel good enough to go to work, keep up with my kids and so far no Hair loss. I believe that I know my body well enough to know when too little is really too little.

Let me guess ... you must be a Fox patient! I've spoke to others in this field and they all say the same thing, that Fox "tweaks" the diet to call it his own. I've heard his patients are more successful ... but then again ... there are many Bandster Pros out there that aren't with Fox and they've done great! Fox also says no sugar, no milk and only eat what you can fit into that tiny medicine dispenser cup ... 2 oz? I felt a few things about his plan were absurd, like staying on a liquid diet for 4 weeks post-op. Most everyone is HUNGRY and want to chew food again by that time! I know someone else that has went through him and never did stick to his "special" diet ... and she lost all her weight in a good amount of time and looks terriffic!

Lori in Oregon

Dr. Rumbaut 07/09/03

Actually, my Dr. is Dr. Leung. I am in B.C. and he is the only surgeon doing the lapband west of Toronto!

Guest ShuzyQ

I am a patient of Dr. Fox. I went off his plan the day I posted my "complaint". There is no way I would be a happy person living off protien drinks and 1oz. of food 3 times a day! In fact, I think if I was following his advice I would skip the food altogether - 1oz. would just make it all the harder not to have more!

I am still loosing weight even though every day I feel like I can eat a little bit more than the day before.

My first fill is next Monday. I am a little concerned they will make my band too tight - I will let everyone know how it goes.

They have you sign a Patient Contract at the info meeting that you will eat out of a shot glass - avoid milk and sugar and a few other things like exercise and come in for regular visits - I supposed the worst they could do is refuse to see me but I don't really think that will happen.

The one great thing about his office is if you have your surgery in Mexico they set it up for you with Dr. Rumbaut. He really is as wonderful as we all say he is!

Sue

260/235/145ish

Sorry Kathe, I should have made myself more clear that I was responding to Sue's original post. oops!

Sue ... I too attended Fox's seminar but then chose not to go through him for a few reasons and instead I directly contacted Doc Rumbaut.

I'm glad to hear you're eating and that your first fill is around the corner. I know Fox doesn't use the fluoroscopy so I'm looking forward to hearing how it all goes for you.

Lori from Oregon