Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I called the Dr.'s office today to check on some lab results. I started asking about a pre-op diet. They said Dr. Terracina was not particular about that. He would do the surgery either way. However, they did notice that those who chose to do it did better after surgery. Told me I could drink protien shakes for Breakfast and lunch and just eat dinner. Looks like I am not going to get much help on this. Can someone post daily limits on Protein, carbs and fat for a pre-op diet? Thanks for any help thrown my way!

Khy

My surgeon, for all WLS procedures, has a 2 day pre-op diet consisting of sugar free liquids only.

I did 3 Protein shakes about 30 grams and a low carb dinner. I didn't count carbs, but did no breads, potatoes, Pasta, etc. Most days I did a salad with chicken breast or chicken or tuna salad or something on it. Careful of drowning it in dressing, and no cheese/croutons. Bacon bits OK, nuts OK.

Right before surgery, I ditched the salad and only drank 3 or 4 shakes a day.

That was all I ate except sugar free Jello or sugar free popsicles. I didn't count calories or carbs and lost 35 lbs pre-op, 21 in the last 6 weeks.

I did a 2 day liquid pre-op diet. I had a pretty easy recovery (as soon as the pain meds kicked in- LOL). I would say to enjoy your favorite foods in moderation (Don't do like I did an go crazy. You don't want extra pounds to deal with).

I called the Dr.'s office today to check on some lab results. I started asking about a pre-op diet. They said Dr. Terracina was not particular about that. He would do the surgery either way. However, they did notice that those who chose to do it did better after surgery. Told me I could drink protien shakes for Breakfast and lunch and just eat dinner. Looks like I am not going to get much help on this. Can someone post daily limits on Protein, carbs and fat for a pre-op diet? Thanks for any help thrown my way!

Khy

My doctor too, did not require a pre op diet, only on the day before surgery, Clear Liquids, so I just did a preop anyhow. I just followed adkins and lost about 22 lbs before surgery. I didn't notice if i did better or not after surgery this having been my 18th major surgery I just automatically knew what to do and expect. Get up early out and walk a lot, do the incentive spirometry, and then walk more and sip sip sip, make sure i pee and get those bowels movin and thats it. . . home i went after 3 days. . . .

Here's what I am doing per my surgeon's office:

4 Protein shakes per day (powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or Nectar) - 1 scoop per 8 ounces of skim milk. If I don't use milk, then add a 5th Protein shake.

6 servings from the following per day:

1/2 cup cream of wheat or oatmeal

1 cup sugar free pudding, sugar free Gelatin or low fat custard

4-6 oz of fat-free, sugar free yogurt

1 cup low-fat Soup or broth

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 cup baby carrots, celery, cucumber, broccoli, Tomato or iceberg lettuce with 2 tablespoons fat-free dressing

48-64 oz of Water or other sugar free, non-caffinated, non-carbonated beverages each day

can have sugar free popsicles.

It's tough to get all of this in! This is my second day on it, and I have yet to eat everything as I'm just not hungry. Hope this helps.

My surgeon has me on a Medifast/Healthwise diet. I can have 5-6 of their products a day but only one of the bars. I can also have unlimited sf popcicles, Jello, and broth. Water and sf drinks too. I have about 600cals a day and less than 40carbs. Apparently my surgeon is sadistic. I will deal with it though cause he has a very LOW complication rate.