Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernias

Hi, I'm back on-line after three week or so. Still have problems eating or swallowing. I was banded May 1 and the first month was fine, but these last five weeks has been hard. I was banded in MX and so there are no lap band doctors here in Boise to follow up with. I went to my GP today and he thinks I may have a hiatal hernia and set me up to see a gastro for an upper GI but of course not for three weeks. My stomach, port, etc all feel fine, but the instant I try to eat ANYTHING my throat tightens and I get pain in my sternum. My GP could hear alot of "gurguling." He has rewritten my daily meds (anti-depressants and acid reflux) for liquid and chewables because I've had a hard time getting them down too. I'm so hungry I could chew my own leg off, but I know it would only come up and that wouldn't be pretty. :)

I'm feeling pretty run down, tired and generally blah. If I'm careful and go slow I can manage to get down a soy based protien shake.

Are hiatal hernias a common side effect of this surgery? Are they genetic? My mother is obese (the best mother in the world however) and she has suffered with hiatal hernias for a long time.

God, I need a glass of wine, and a good green chili cheesburger, but alas, that is only a dream.

Dasharoo

Paula, I am sorry you are having so much difficulty. I don't believe Lapband surgery can cause a hiatal hernia, but if you have one it can be difficult to place the band correctly. This may be why you are having so much trouble. My surgeon had me evaluated for ulcers and hiatal hernia before he would do my band.

By the way,my mother (who is also wonderful and obese) has one, too. I think there is a slight genetic component.

Good luck to you!

Have you had a recent fill? To me it sounds as if some of your symptoms might be related to restriction from the band. If you had a recent fill, maybe you need a small amount of Fluid removed from the band.

I have not had a fill yet. I haven't overeaten or any of the other things Jack mentioned. I'm not morbidly obese. In fact, I have lost 30 lbs since May 1. My current weight is 162, but I'm worried that by not eating all this time my metabolism is slowing down.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches