Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery question

I decided a few days ago to have the sleeve done in a very near future, I have been researching the procedure and have found some great information about it. What I would like to know is what to really expect the week after being discharged from the hospital, is your stomach swollen, how long does it hurt for, are you on bed rest, things like that. I know everybody is different, but I would like to have an idea of what to expect.

Thank you for taking the time to answer,

Paola

The first week was the hardest for me but truly not that bad just a generally crappy feeling. No bed rest it is best to get up and walk as much as you can. The hardest part is to get all your fluids in you pretty much have to take tiny sips all day long. I had a drain for nine days which seems to be unusual but it wasn't bad just awkward. Some people struggle with nausea and gas I had only a little. My stomach was swollen the first few days. By day 6 I felt pretty much like my self. Diarrhea is common fluids in fluids out. I had surgery on Tuesday and stopped pain meds by Saturday.

The first 3 days I had the worst gas!! It was AWFUL!! I did not have any pain other than gas pain tho. After the gas broke, I had diahreah for a couple days. Then, I was really sore! Kinda like I did 20,000 crunches. LOL

I slept a lot for about 3 days and then, I felt fine. I walked everyday a little more and more each day. That helps you to feel better and not get stiff! I did everything myself and didn't have my husband do it for me.

I went back to work on day 7 and felt tired, but I became anemic after surgery and that was a problem for about 3 weeks. Now, I am 6 weeks out and feel great!

You will do great. This surgery really doesn't produce too much pain as our stomachs do not have nerve receptors like our fingers do. Just remember that you did have MAJOR surgery and just because you feel fine, you do need to rest! That is what was said to me over and over. LOL

Good luck to you!

Kelly :D

Well, today is one week since surgery for me.

I still have mild to moderate pain in my left side through to my back. I found out today my surgeon put an extra stitch to prevent a hernia and that this is the cause of that pain. It is pretty debilitating and had me worried until I found out what was causing it.

Otherwise my pain is pretty much gone.

I was swollen until around day five.

I started passing the gas and had a functioning bowel system again by day four.

The first two to three days were pretty much miserable.

I had a drain at the hospital. They removed it before I left.

I had an On-Q pain ball that went home with me. I removed it myself when it was empty.

I am on thin liquids for three weeks. So that means two more to go. And yeah. It is hard and it sucks.

That being said, every day my scale goes down a little bit and that is great.

I would not feel ready to return to work yet, but my work is very physically demanding. I probably could go back to work if I worked a desk job.

Good luck with your decision. Hope this helps.