Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So it is Summer when are you going to have WLS

Hi Everyone,

So when are you going to have weight loss surgery? Don’t waste one more day of your life being unhealthy or unhappy with the body you are stuck in. I am almost 66 years old. 3 years ago I started to investigate the idea of having weight loss surgery. I had struggled for about 40 years of playing the same games that all of you have done—tried all the diets, had some success, and would lose it and then gain it back again. I was pretty good about losing, but just couldn’t keep it off—It was my fault I know for gaining it back—I never would change my lifestyle. Now life is so different and I know that I will ALWAYS keep it off for the rest of my life. angel.gif

I want you to know my greatest regret was that I didn’t do this much earlier in my life. I believe that things happen in your life for a reason. I think why I didn’t have weight loss surgery earlier was I needed to have my head in the right place and to find a doctor that I believed in and trusts. I found all of those things, and went for it. Believe me I asked hundreds of questions and did a lot of research before having this surgery. I had sleeve surgery on Oct 21, 2008 and Dr. Aceves was my doctor. I can’t begin to tell you how wonderful he is along with his hospital.applause.gif

I am writing this because there are sooooooooooooo many of you who are sitting out there thinking—here comes another summer and I am going to be fat AGAIN this summer, YOU ARE THINKING ALL THESE THINGS PLUS A WHOLE LOT MORE: I can’t enjoy all the things my family and friends want to do. I am the one who is taking the pictures instead of being in the pictures. I hate the summer clothes that I have. I want to be able to buy what other people are buying—you know all those cute little clothes. I am short of breath and don’t feel very good because of my limitations with my weight.confused.gif

Ok if you are one of these people there is a world of support for you here on this board. Some have already done weight loss surgery, some are about ready to have weight loss surgery and some just can’t make up their minds yet. If you are lurking out there and can’t make up your mind talk to us! We are a wealth of information and support. For the first time in your life, put YOURSELF first. Make this summer be ALL ABOUT YOU AND NO ONE ELSE.cool2.gif

You will be shocked at how much your life will change in just one short year.clap.gif

Hugs and NEVER give up on yourself—you are WORTH every bit of effort it takes.

Suzanne

105 pounds less of me-not bad of on old lady! I sure don’t feel old at

ALL and that is the best part!

It won't even take a year to see the changes! I am 3 weeks out and can already fit into things that I couldn't wear last summer!

Another great post, Mama S.!;)

It won't even take a year to see the changes! I am 3 weeks out and can already fit into things that I couldn't wear last summer!

Another great post, Mama S.!;)

Hey Sarah,

I am excited that you love your new sleeve. And you can notice in just 3 short weeks. This is amazing. My husband will still ask me aren't you hungry???--I always think to myself--NO I don't feel hungry. It is such a nice feeling to get used too.

And as time goes on it get easier because you will be eating a lot of the same things your family does, only much smaller amounts. There will be small chanlenges along the way, but I am always right here if you have a question.

Hugs and keep up the GREAT work!

Mama Sleeve

Thanks for the post! 6 more weeks and I'll be having my surgery! Super exicted to start a new chapter in my life for my son and I. :)

Thank you so much for the post. Mine is scheduled for July 11th. I'm so excited, but at the same time scared to death.

Your encouraging words really have helped put me more at ease.

My surgery is 27 days away (July 12), and every day seems like an eternity!! I'm really having to fight off depression waiting for it to get here. I'm a teacher, and I'm out of school right now which just gives me more time to dwell on it! Intellectually I know it will be here before I know it, but in the meantime I'm SO MISERABLY fat I can't stand it!! I found an old post I made last August on obesityhelp when I was thinking about surgery. I weighed 255 then. Now I weigh 282!! Unbelievable!! I've been trying to talk myself into dieting and exercising to help get myself a little closer to where I at least was then. Since that time I've developed sleep apnea and sleep with a cpap, and I just feel horrible. :(

Thanks for the post! 6 more weeks and I'll be having my surgery! Super exicted to start a new chapter in my life for my son and I. :)

Hi,

This is great news. 6 weeks will go sooooooo fast. A year from now you will be sooooooooooo amazed at how much your life has changed. You have so much to look forward too. I am excited for you. I always love to hear success stories, so please keep me posted. It is NORMAL to have all kinds of feelings and emotions before you have the surgery. Those of us who have been there ahead of you can tell you that we had all kinds of feeling. Just hang in there and talk with us if any of us can help we are here for you.

Congratulations on making a BIG change in your life.:P :P

Hugs,

Suzanne

Thank you so much for the post. Mine is scheduled for July 11th. I'm so excited, but at the same time scared to death.

Your encouraging words really have helped put me more at ease.

Hi,

I love the sound of your surgery date 7/11/11. Perfect date to change your life and all for the better. I want you to know I had all the same feeling you had happy, sad, scared, anxious, second guessed myself to death. I went by myself to Mexicali and I thought OH my gosh am I nuts?????? It was the very best thing I could have ever done. I was at peace once I was at the hospital.

So, it is really NORMAL to have all the same feelings and all at the same time. Just keep telling yourself this is the right thing to do. The 1st month will be the hardest month that you are going to ever have to do. YOU can do anything for 30 days. After that it just keeps getting better.

You are young and beautiful so hold on to your hat and enjoy the ride. The first time someone calls you skinny, you are going to look around and think are they talking about ME???? Enjoy that moment and hug who ever says it. It is a moment you will always remember.

Keep me posted,

Hugs,

Suzanne

My surgery is 27 days away (July 12), and every day seems like an eternity!! I'm really having to fight off depression waiting for it to get here. I'm a teacher, and I'm out of school right now which just gives me more time to dwell on it! Intellectually I know it will be here before I know it, but in the meantime I'm SO MISERABLY fat I can't stand it!! I found an old post I made last August on obesityhelp when I was thinking about surgery. I weighed 255 then. Now I weigh 282!! Unbelievable!! I've been trying to talk myself into dieting and exercising to help get myself a little closer to where I at least was then. Since that time I've developed sleep apnea and sleep with a cpap, and I just feel horrible. :(

Hi,

Well, I can relate to how you are feeling. I worked for a local school district for about 25 years and retired 3 years ago. I did just what you did and that was try to talk myself into losing weight before I had to go have surgery--just do the best you can and that will be OK--don't panic or worry about it. I managed to lose about 15 pounds. It was hell doing it. For your depression try taking small walks, honestly walking did help me years ago when I had depression. Spend more time on the computer just taking and reading people's posts too--it puts your mind some place else sometimes and that may help. Find a book and lose yourself in the book. Look at a catalog and dream about some of the new clothes that you want to buy 6 months from the date of your surgery. You know all the right intellectually things to think, but sometimes our brain just doesn't connect with what we know to be the right thing to do.

I am only an E-mail away, keep talking to me and telling me how your are feeling. It really might not be depression. I went through all kinds of feeling and emotions before I had weight loss surgery. I was anxious, scared, happy, sad, frustrated, asked myself a million time was I doing the right thing? So I want you to know this is quite normal.

The closer you get the harder it might become. Talk to your doctor about a little medication for help--there is nothing wrong in asking for help. This is the best thing you could ever do for yourself. You are on the right track for the first time in a very long time. You are going to be OK, and this is the surgery that is going to save your life. One day you will look back on this and wished you had done it sooner. NEVER give up on your dreams, you can do anything if you want it bad enough.:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Hugs,

Suzanne :D :D

Sometime you will strugle with sleeping, I finally gave in and asked my doctor for some meds, they work well for me.

Hi,

Well, I can relate to how you are feeling. I worked for a local school district for about 25 years and retired 3 years ago. I did just what you did and that was try to talk myself into losing weight before I had to go have surgery--just do the best you can and that will be OK--don't panic or worry about it. I managed to lose about 15 pounds. It was hell doing it. For your depression try taking small walks, honestly walking did help me years ago when I had depression. Spend more time on the computer just taking and reading people's posts too--it puts your mind some place else sometimes and that may help. Find a book and lose yourself in the book. Look at a catalog and dream about some of the new clothes that you want to buy 6 months from the date of your surgery. You know all the right intellectually things to think, but sometimes our brain just doesn't connect with what we know to be the right thing to do.

I am only an E-mail away, keep talking to me and telling me how your are feeling. It really might not be depression. I went through all kinds of feeling and emotions before I had weight loss surgery. I was anxious, scared, happy, sad, frustrated, asked myself a million time was I doing the right thing? So I want you to know this is quite normal.

The closer you get the harder it might become. Talk to your doctor about a little medication for help--there is nothing wrong in asking for help. This is the best thing you could ever do for yourself. You are on the right track for the first time in a very long time. You are going to be OK, and this is the surgery that is going to save your life. One day you will look back on this and wished you had done it sooner. NEVER give up on your dreams, you can do anything if you want it bad enough.:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Hugs,

Suzanne :D :D

Sometime you will strugle with sleeping, I finally gave in and asked my doctor for some meds, they work well for me.

Thanks so much for your input and encouragement. I really appreciate it. I also know that everything you've said is true. It's now only 26 days :) I decided last night that I would get on the treadmill for 15 minutes at a time today. Unfortunately when I tried to get on this morning, I learned it's not working properly so there goes that. :/ I may try to do wii fit or something, or take a walk outside. I'm a special education teacher, and I'm extremely patient....I'm just not good at waiting. lol

Thanks again for your kind encouragement :)

Deborah

Thanks so much for your input and encouragement. I really appreciate it. I also know that everything you've said is true. It's now only 26 days :) I decided last night that I would get on the treadmill for 15 minutes at a time today. Unfortunately when I tried to get on this morning, I learned it's not working properly so there goes that. :/ I may try to do wii fit or something, or take a walk outside. I'm a special education teacher, and I'm extremely patient....I'm just not good at waiting. lol

Thanks again for your kind encouragement :)

Deborah

Hi Deborah,

Special Ed takes a very special person to be able to do that all school year. I admire you for being able to teach this. Sounds like your head in getting to be in the right place. I know it is difficult to go walk, but honestly just a short walk is better than sitting all day. I am retired as I said, but I have been going back and working part-time at an Alternative High School. I just love these kids--most everyone has given up on the--not me, and when they graduate and see that they can be successful then I am thrilled. I gave 3 of the scholarship to start college, that is how their life is going to change. I have been teaching them 1st Aid and CPR. I did that for the entire staff and coaches when I was working. My main job was that I was the Secretary for all the nurses in the school district. It was a good job,but I love working and being around the kids more.

Being retired is the BEST job I have ever had.

I know that this is a struggle and when you don't feel good it is hard to exercise. I used to come home from who with every intention of going for a walk. Then I would sit down and that was the end of me. Now I am much better about it. Just do the best you can---stop beating yourself up. You are headed in the right direction. Relax a little and eat healthy if you can, if you don't it is OK.

Hugs,

Suzanne