Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get sick everytime they eat, no matter what it is.

My husband had gastric sleeve on Feb. 16th, at first he was fine when he ate and did not get sick at all. Six weeks after surgery he began to get sick everytime he ate.He still does, even if it is just a small protien shake, or a sip of Water he gets sick. The Dr says it is inflammation, put him on several medications, and that has not helped. One other patient has had this same thing, and spoke to my dh after the Dr asked if she would talk to him, and said if she eats Doritos a small amount they settle her stomach, so dh has tried this and it works, but to me this is terribly wrong and he will never loose all his weight. He has lost 90 lbs so far and has another about 60 to go. But with doritos he will never get there. Any suggestions?

Anyone else had this complication. I am totally frustrated and he is more than this!! It makes for a not very pleasant life when he gets sick each time he tries to eat.

I can't believe his doctor does not want to run any tests. If he had surgery in February, he should be healed by now.

I have not heard of anyone having trouble every single time they eat. I would insist on some sort of test to make sure everything is okay in there. I've heard of

saltine crackers settling the stomach, but not Doritos!

I can't believe his doctor does not want to run any tests. If he had surgery in February, he should be healed by now.

I have not heard of anyone having trouble every single time they eat. I would insist on some sort of test to make sure everything is okay in there. I've heard of

saltine crackers settling the stomach, but not Doritos!

They did a scope, so the Dr has been very proactive in this. They found inflammation and actually have the pictures that show it. He gave him meds to heal it but to this point it is not working. Saltines don't do the trick, he tried that too, the weirdest thing is the Doritos, and he is not at all thrilled with having to do that. Such a mystery.

I would insist that the Dr. find out what is going on or get a new one that will!!

WTF is wrong with people??? It makes me so angry that people just settle for second class Dr.'s that don't do their jobs! I would never go back to a Dr. that let me sit around and puke my brains out and did not offer to fix the problem! WTH!!!!

Get a new Dr. ASAP!

Kelly :angry:

They did a scope, so the Dr has been very proactive in this. They found inflammation and actually have the pictures that show it. He gave him meds to heal it but to this point it is not working. Saltines don't do the trick, he tried that too, the weirdest thing is the Doritos, and he is not at all thrilled with having to do that. Such a mystery.

I reeeallllly feel for your hubby! ~ Hopefully all will work out soon! I've only "slimed" a few times: A few after I was first sleeved and TODAY for some reason. All was due to eating [chicken] too fast...it certainly is not a pleasant experience.

I reeeallllly feel for your hubby! ~ Hopefully all will work out soon! I've only "slimed" a few times: A few after I was first sleeved and TODAY for some reason. All was due to eating [chicken] too fast...it certainly is not a pleasant experience.

Thanks, and he has an amazing Dr. Kelly, we have the best surgeon available in a several state region and a certified hospital for the gastric sleeve. We did our homework and found the best Dr., with the best credentials and the top recommendations. The Dr has been proactive, but we must all remember they are human just like we are. He is still loosing weight, and is careful to stop when he feels the least bit full. Soup is the best for him and he loves Soup, so that is good. One other patient has this problem and they cannot figure it out either. The scope shows inflammation, and he is on medication for it. Time, maybe.

Thanks For the Response.

Is he on prilosec or something for acid?? Something has to be causing the inflammation. I agree he may need a second opinion.

That's horrible. Definitely do not be afraid or intimidated to be your own advocate and insist on agressive investigation into what's going on.

WHen you say "sick" do you mean he is throwing up? Or do you mean something else? Sick can be a LOT of things...

BTW, eating a small amount of Doritos won't cause your husband to "never get there" with his weightloss. It's a game of moderation. If he can eat them, and they keep him from getting sick, then long live (small amounts of) Doritos. Honestly, nothing is horrible in moderation.

Have you thought about B6/50mg to settle the stomach. I used it during the time I was preggers. I had the worst morning sickness but I could not live without my B6. The only one that worked for me was from Vitaminworld.com. I hope this helps. There is nothing like a sick belly.

My husband had gastric sleeve on Feb. 16th, at first he was fine when he ate and did not get sick at all. Six weeks after surgery he began to get sick everytime he ate.He still does, even if it is just a small protien shake, or a sip of Water he gets sick. The Dr says it is inflammation, put him on several medications, and that has not helped. One other patient has had this same thing, and spoke to my dh after the Dr asked if she would talk to him, and said if she eats Doritos a small amount they settle her stomach, so dh has tried this and it works, but to me this is terribly wrong and he will never loose all his weight. He has lost 90 lbs so far and has another about 60 to go. But with doritos he will never get there. Any suggestions?

Anyone else had this complication. I am totally frustrated and he is more than this!! It makes for a not very pleasant life when he gets sick each time he tries to eat.

Have you thought about B6/50mg to settle the stomach. I used it during the time I was preggers. I had the worst morning sickness but I could not live without my B6. The only one that worked for me was from Vitaminworld.com. I hope this helps. There is nothing like a sick belly.

Thank you so much! We will pick some up tomorrow. Hopefully it will help....

I had my sleeve in June of 2010. A year later I began having severe symptoms. Turns out I also have inflammation, but it is from bile and not acid. My stomach was apparently full of bile. We are now trying to schedule surgery in order to do a roux-en-Y on my small intestine. I am very anxious about this as I already have osteoporosis due to Vitamin D deficiency and I don't want to make it worse.

I would suggest that your husband ask his surgeon if the inflammation could be from bile and not acid as this requires a different approach, both medically and surgically. My surgeon put me on Carafate which helps a little, but is not a long term solution for me. Hope this helps!

I had my sleeve in June of 2010. A year later I began having severe symptoms. Turns out I also have inflammation, but it is from bile and not acid. My stomach was apparently full of bile. We are now trying to schedule surgery in order to do a roux-en-Y on my small intestine. I am very anxious about this as I already have osteoporosis due to Vitamin D deficiency and I don't want to make it worse.

I would suggest that your husband ask his surgeon if the inflammation could be from bile and not acid as this requires a different approach, both medically and surgically. My surgeon put me on Carafate which helps a little, but is not a long term solution for me. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much, I will tell him and we will see what his surgeon says, he has an appointment a week from this coming Monday. It's worth a try!!

Thanks, Tina

I haven't tried this since surgery, but baked potato chips work to settle my stomach. Perhaps they will work and may be fewer calories.

Ok I thought I was the only one getting sick..I'm on mushies but it doesn't matter what I eat or drink I get super nauseated and just feel sick!! My doc gave me Zofran to take and it helps but not enough...I was wondering if there were any home remedies I could try..this is terrible!!

Its a long shot but they make suckers and stuff for preg women with morning sickness called "preggie pops" ( I will get the link for you). They have all kinds of herbs and Vitamins and stuff in them that settle the stomach. It might be worth a try. Hope he can find something that helps!

Preggie Pops