Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me anticipate the "real" differences from AGB to VSG

BTW Tiffykins, I just noticed your pregnancy ticker. Congratulations! MY DH and I TTC for a while, and never quite got it. Until the lapband. As soon as I hit about 130 lbs gone, -poof- there it was. Right when we stopped trying & decided to take some time off. I couldn't believe it. About 4 years of trying, and about 2 years before that of "whatever happens happens" -- I took 8 home pregnancy tests, and then went to my doctor for a REAL test. :) Your first?

• I've read many reports of consistent restriction from VSG vs. tha random restriction I had from AGB. Is your restriction consistent? Is it consistent both in terms of times of day you can eat and types of food you can eat? Does VSG seem to be effected by the same variables as AGB? (e.g. flying, stress, humidity, PMS/water retention...) My restriction is consistent except that I do notice that right before my period, I seem to be able to eat a little bit more (or maybe it is that I want to due to hormones).
  • With AGB "stuck" foods caused me discomfort or pain, often quite a bit of pain, and often for a fairly long time. Does food stick with VSG? I've read about people brining stuff up, but is this because of failure to pass through some stoma, or is it because of eating more than you can hold? Or both? Does it hurt like it did with your band? When it comes up, is it "saliva + stuck bits" like with the band, or is it actual vomit? I hated being stuck with the band! I have never had anything get stuck with the sleeve. Sometimes, when I eat out, I may take that one bite too many and I feel extremely full. So full that I don't even want to think about food or be around it. That is what has allowed my great success though! I can only eat at small amount at a time~
  • I know some dumping can occur with VSG - do you dump? Is it on specific foods, or random? The only time I get that feeling is if I eat Cereal with milk. I am not sure if it is the the milk or that the Cereal swells in my stomach, but I feel sick and like I need to lay down. I don't usually eat cereal becasue of this. If I drink milk alone or in something, I am fine.
  • What period is the greatest risk for developing a leak? I see references to 2 weeks, 2 months...I am not sure but my doctor did say to follow the post op diet closely to avoid putting stress on the staple line and which can cause a leak.
  • Is leak the (currently known) most likely complication of VSG? I see people talking about leaks, and pOuch stretching, but that's about it. Surely there's something else out there...You can have issues with Calcium absorption which can cause problems with your bones and teeth. You have to take Calcium citirate regularly.
  • WIthout the need for fills, what does your post-op care look like? Do you have periodoc leak tests as a bandster might have period fluoro or xray? I have just had blood tests and check ups. So easy and nice! I hated getting fills.
  • What do you like best about your VSG? It works! I feel amazing. I can't sabotoge myself anymore with food. Food doesn't control me.
  • What do you like least about your VSG? Maybe the scars, but I love the sleeve itself. I really feel it is one of the best decisions of my life!
  • What did you not know going in, that you wish you did? I wish I had asked for the morphine pump for when I woke up after surgery. I didn't discuss it with my doctor because I just thought everyone got one. OUCH! I was fine once they started giving me pain meds through my IV though.
  • I keep reading "recovery is a lot harder than with the band," but no one really elaborates. Can someone please share their comparison of recovery? I actually thought they were about the same. I didn't have a drain with my band and I did with the sleeve. I did not like the drain, but it is there to detect leaks. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
  • How hard did you find the transition in terns of behavior? I'm assuming there are shared rules such as chewing to goo, small bites, waiting between bites, etc. My band never really worked right, so it is hard to compare. I know I always had to worry about getting stuck at the most inconvient times, like at a restaurant. I would have to run to the bathroom and pray no one else was in there when I slimed. With the sleeve I have restriction all the time. I do have to focus on Protein first, but I really can eat anything, just smaller amounts.
  • Do you have a "soft stop" with VSG? (I never had one with AGB, but I'm wondering if it exists with VSG) I just have to stop at the first sign of fullness. Just one bite over my sleeve capacity and I am miserable from fullness.
  • Did anyone out thyere have a difficult revision due to scar tissue/etc. with the band?I had some soreness where the port was, but that is gone now.
  • Any bathroom problems? (e.g. the terrible stinkies DSers are known for) Nope
  • It seems like most people encounter significant heartburn. Is reflux an issue with VSG? Is the heartburn long term, or does it resolve after a while? I get hearburn with certain foods (spicy usually). I had it a little the first three months after surgery and took my prescription. Now it is just on an as need basis. I rarely get heartburn.
  • Are your food intolerances (if any) the same as with your AGB?For some reason, hamburger meat in the patty form does not agree with my sleeve. I have thrown up three times trying to eat it. I just avoid it now! I can eat it if it is ground up like taco meat. The three times I tried hamburger patties are the only times I have thrown up with the sleeve. Otherwise, nothing else has caused this issued.

I LOVE the sleeve! Good luck with your revision~