Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance wait is half way over!

My 6 month wait is half over! Im a 23 year old male that has struggle with my weight my whole life. I have done a lot of research and was going to go with the lap-band but then I found out about the sleeve and think that option is 100% better. Now for what I need help with, I soooo nervous about having this done. Am I going to be "normal" after? What is life like after surgery with going out to eat? Has anyone told themselves that you didnt need surgery that you could do it alone? Which I know I can do because ive done it before, but can not keep it off. I wish this last 3 month wait would rush by. Anyone have any advise? Words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Doug

I am right there with ya, Doug. And it will go by faster than either you or I think. The forum here is super welcoming, so don't be afraid to ask questions. You can just start searching through the forums for what you want to find. I especially recommend looking through the Post-Op and Pre-Op forums for food and information about the surgery. Also, look up Tiffykins for some good resources.

Um, I don't think many come on here who haven't been where we are at and who haven't been yo-yo dieting for most of his or her life. Just read the stories and read the profiles, and you will see.

Thanks for the support! I swear I have memorized most of the posting on this site. Ive been reading it for weeks now. The process just seems so long, partly due to I have to drive over an hour one way to the nearest hospital that does this surgery and I had to undergo extra testing on my heart (heart problems run big in my family.) Ive only mentioned surgery to a couple people and have gotten bad reactions from everyone. I don't think they understand the procedure at all. I think everyone is just use to seeing me heavy so they think im a healthy weight because that's all they have ever known. Don't mean to rant on here.

Lol, I totally understand. Ever since I joined I was reading, searching, and even more reading. Both you and I will already have tons of information available when we have questions, and we already know who we can turn to. Only three more months! I keep looking at my ticker, and it gives me hope it will be my turn eventually.

Aw, I am sorry that you don't have people in your life being supportive, but everyone on this forum is rooting for you and will be there if you need them.

Oh, I totally understand the lifelong weight issues. I was obese before I even knew what the word was, and I have been dieting since my early preteens. I am doing this surgery for me and future health. I do not want to wait until I have the diabetes, heart disease, and health issues that run in my family hit me. I want to get healthy. Just keep up the positive energy, and if nothing else, there is always Mexico. :)

I've been dieting off and on for years, and yeah, I may loose some weight, but it never stays off and when it comes back, it brings friends. :(

Unfortunately many people tend to think of WLS as the "easy way out" mainly because they do not understand it. It's not an easy road and does require lifestyle changes. The WLS is a tool to help with those changes (at least that's how I see it). Since my stomach is only going to be about 20-30% of it's original size, it makes it more difficult for me to eat the massively oversized portions that I am used to. Could I make that change on my own? Well, maybe - but I have 38 years of not being able to do that under my ever expanding belt. That's one reason why I am electing to do the surgery. I will not be telling my sister about this though. She's a RN and teaches nursing, but is dead set against any type of WLS. According to her it isn't safe nor effective. Well, statistics don't lie. She thinks that I should be just like her and have the "willpower" to loose it on my own. Thankfully, I am not my sister.

As for anyone else who doesn't like it, well, the only opinion that truly matters is my own. I am doing what I need to for ME and not for anyone else. If they don't like that, then so be it.