Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many steps to your program's diet?

How many steps does your program run you through between surgery and being on your new normal diet?

I just learned today there's one more step to my program and it's really set me back in terms of tolerance and attitude. I've tried very hard to be patient, as my program seems to advance people slower than others do. In these first 3 weeks when most of the healing takes place I'm fine with it. In fact, when I read stories about people who are on regular foods at 5 or 6 weeks, it sort of takes my breath that they are that brave..or able. But then today I learned that "mushies" and "soft" are two different stages in my program, each 3 weeks long. So after surgery:

3 days clear liquid

3 weeks full liquid

3 weeks mushies (this means puree and thin everything with the food less watered down than full liquid)

3 weeks soft food (this is what I thought was combined with mushies and means all 'soft' food, not treated to soften it in any way. Something like sweet potato. You should still have very little chewing.)

Then finally -

Slowly advance to full food, adding 1 new food per day to your diet.

Does anyone else have 9+ weeks between their surgery and being able to eat something like a boiled egg? That's not considered "soft" because it would need considerable chewing. I think this is overly cautious. Or am I wrong and does everyone have these two steps of mushies and soft?

Thanks. Now that I've learned I have 3 extra weeks before I can throw caution to the wind and eat a slice of deli chicken I see some cheating on the horizon.

How many steps does your program run you through between surgery and being on your new normal diet?

I just learned today there's one more step to my program and it's really set me back in terms of tolerance and attitude. I've tried very hard to be patient, as my program seems to advance people slower than others do. In these first 3 weeks when most of the healing takes place I'm fine with it. In fact, when I read stories about people who are on regular foods at 5 or 6 weeks, it sort of takes my breath that they are that brave..or able. But then today I learned that "mushies" and "soft" are two different stages in my program, each 3 weeks long. So after surgery:

3 days clear liquid

3 weeks full liquid

3 weeks mushies (this means puree and thin everything with the food less watered down than full liquid)

3 weeks soft food (this is what I thought was combined with mushies and means all 'soft' food, not treated to soften it in any way. Something like sweet potato. You should still have very little chewing.)

Then finally -

Does anyone else have 9+ weeks between their surgery and being able to eat something like a boiled egg? That's not considered "soft" because it would need considerable chewing. I think this is overly cautious. Or am I wrong and does everyone have these two steps of mushies and soft?

Thanks. Now that I've learned I have 3 extra weeks before I can throw caution to the wind and eat a slice of deli chicken I see some cheating on the horizon.

Yes, my doctor is the same.

2wks Clear Liquids

2wks full liquids

2wks pureed

2wks soft

Then finally regular food...

So, you are not alone!! And trust me, you don't want to cheat. I tried egg salad while on full liquids and got a bad case of dumping syndrom and was ill all day long!! Totally not fun. Sick with the plan and you will do fine!!

Mine has NO clears! Really! I have thin liquids, including a chocolate or vanilla Protein shake to start out. I checked twice with the dietician because I read on here that everyone has Clear Liquids. My plan is as follows:

7 days thin liquids

14 days thin and thick liquids

7 days puree - no pieces

7 days puree with pieces

then introduce real foods slowly

Thanks all.

While I had/have no intention of pushing it while I am in the first 7 weeks, I really think that week 8 and 9 I will probably start adding a touch of regular food back in occasionally. I really think 9 weeks + is overkill. I just wanted to make sure.

I actually think it will be good for me to begin the process of actually chewing food again very slowing, maybe just one small item a day in that 8th and 9th week. I think if I was so long before I get back to the texture of real food, when in my mind it's a go, I might fall into the habit of eating too fast or not chewing enough. I actually think that if I creep into it when I think of it as "cheating", I'll do a better job of being careful.

[[Template forums/front/topics/postContainer is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mine is a bit shorter...

2 days clear liquids

2 weeks full liquids

2 weeks mushies

2 weeks soft solids (I'm here now and had 1/2 of a soft, mushy burger with some melted cheese on it).

It's still very small portions (max 4 oz.) but there is some variety in this current phase.

3 days clear liquid

3 weeks full liquid

Then finally -