Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heparin Bruises....is it normal for them to get bigger?

My entire stomach, hip to hip, looked a lot like that about 2 days after the last shot. I saw the doctor a couple days later and he wasn't concerned. It's now been 4 more days and they are starting to get that yellow healing look. I was also concerned because I had the occasional pinch type discomfort but they didn't seem to think anything of it.

This is not to say you should not check with your doctor. Believe me, if you learn nothing here it's that each program and each surgeon has very different standards.

I had to do the heparin shots for four weeks after I left the hospital, and my stomach really started to look like I'd been savagely beaten. It was sooo ugly and tender to the touch as well. It all cleared up after a week or so after the shots ended.

Does everyone require these shots for the VSG surgery? I have not read about this until recently. Is it up to the surgeon or is this a pretty normal thing with all surgeries? I have read where some will get it in the hospital but not have to self-inject once they leave the hospital, what determines this. I am also traveling a distance after my surgery, I was told I could wear compression socks and to get out and walk around every hour to help with circulation and prevent clotting. Please reply and let me know if everyone had to get this medicine and if it was just in the hospital or at home as well.

Thanks.

Hi MeggieP.... mine looked a lot like yours.... they were massive... after my doctor touched one and i yelled cuz it hurt so bad, he took me off of heparin... (at first i told him that the injection sites hurt and he said that is normal and that all the patients complain that it hurts more than the surgery,,,, then he told me to let him have a look... I lifted up my shirt and he gasped... I asked "is that normal??" and he said "NO... no more heparin for you!!!"....

Under each of my bruises was a knot (hematoma) of blood that had to be re-absorbed by my body... They were so bloody painful... http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/gallery/album/841-my-heparin-bruises/

I have bruising all across my belly but they are pale in color not as dense as the ones seen in the pictures here. I have been giving myself the lovenox shots since I left the hospital, only 4 more to go. I still have all the bruises, although somewhat faded, from being their pin cushion when they couldn't get an IV line into me up and down my arms.

I had Lovenox (sp?) in the hospital for my VSG and only until I was up and walking around (so a total of 3 injections)

Heparin's function is to stop blood clots from forming, so it would make sense for bruises to continue to get larger because the blood isn't coagulating like it normally would.

I personally think it's ridiculous and extremely dangerous for someone to take heparin long term who does not have a clotting disorder, or who is not completely bed ridden and at risk of developing blood clots in their legs. If my surgeon had sent me home on Heparin I would have told him no way Jose!

My Experience with Heparin was when I had my 4th child by unplanned c-section. The hospitals policy was for all c/section moms to be given Heparin until Discharge. Well that policy nearly killed me...I had a slow bleed in my belly, and ended up needing 4 transfusions, probably would have needed more if I hadn't told them NO on the Heparin 3 days after surgery...I spent a total of 5 days in the hospital recovering.

Does everyone require these shots for the VSG surgery? I have not read about this until recently. Is it up to the surgeon or is this a pretty normal thing with all surgeries? I have read where some will get it in the hospital but not have to self-inject once they leave the hospital, what determines this. I am also traveling a distance after my surgery, I was told I could wear compression socks and to get out and walk around every hour to help with circulation and prevent clotting. Please reply and let me know if everyone had to get this medicine and if it was just in the hospital or at home as well.

Thanks.

I am in Ohio and I talked with 4 programs before making a decision and they all sent you home with luvonox (sp?) injections. The number of days was what varied. The program I ended up doing required 7 days of shots, 2 in the hospital so 9 total. I'd never injected myself before and wondered how it would go but it was easy. Small needles that slide right in. I was bruised hip to hip because I moved each shot over 2 inches each day. They told me that for mine the abdomen was the most effective place to inject.

Some of this will depend on your medical history, BMI, how much you've lost, and how physically fit you are in spite of the obesity. But I would be concerned about a program if they are telling you that they do not order these shots for anyone because that does not sound right.

Regarding the socks, make sure the ones they give you fit before you leave with them. Mine were too big and spend most of the time around my ankles. If you are planning to rely on them, make sure they compress.

Because of the internal bleeding I had they stopped the hep shots on surgery day, but I did notice that the one shot I had did give me a bruise. Hope it gets better Meggie!

Meggie, I was not sleeved yet, but...with 16 other abdominal sugeries, I can tell u I have had bruises like that. My entire stomach on the bottom was completely black purple, and I mean bad!!!! so I can say that is normal, but........I am no doctor, nor am I a nurse, so have someone check it out, JUUUUUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE, but my guess is, it's normal :) Feel better

First of all nothing anyone says here will serve as my medical advice! I also think every once in a while we can be calmed down when in a heightened state to realize we actually do not need medical advice!

In the hospital I had six heparin shots in my stomach- and every time they did it in a different area. Of course the level of skill in giving them varied widely!

There are bruises, some much bigger than others, and a particularly big one on my left side. Since coming home I have been lying on my left side to sleep- going back and forth from that to my back. Left side is my sleep side, normally.

Today I noticed the left side is more painful than the right (well that is where my sleeve is right?) But tonight looking in the mirror I thought maybe the biggest bruise had grown and perhaps met the others- my husband thought so too though we have not truly had that good a look since I got home as I was too busy desperately trying to get fluids in!

Anyway the bruise surrounds one of my incisions too- does that affect anything?

I know nothing about heparin so I don't know if lying on this is causing it to bleed more, etc.

I can also send this photo to the doctor on call but wondering if there is any reason...

My abdomen is also bloated and I am thinking that will cause pressure on the bruise and incisions.

Ths photo is right under my left breast on my upper abdomen and stretches around.

post-7262-13813656620516_thumb.jpeg

I hope they fade soom, mine were pretty bad and my right side hurt more than my left too. But today is day 13 and the bruises are just slightly visable still and no soreness.

But on a brighter note, my insicion site look, flipping amazing!!! The 'super glue' and scabs are pretty much gone, only a slight crease and pinkness remain. the one at the very top (I have six incisions total) looks like I may have a slight dimple/pucker scar, but nothing I can't deal with or fill with spackle, LOL. I also have a little hardening under all my incisions, but i her those 'Hemotomas' will breakup and fade also. But at least they done itch anymore! How are your scars doing?

I was over at my doctors for a CBC since my low energy level is of concern- and while I was there the nurse looked at my stomach and said though a little out of norm it was nothing to worry about. Whew.

I was over at my doctors for a CBC since my low energy level is of concern- and while I was there the nurse looked at my stomach and said though a little out of norm it was nothing to worry about. Whew.

For some reason, this just made me think of the last time I was in hospital (no surgery) when the vein my IV was in blew. OMG, I had a hematoma the size of a baseball on my arm -- purple-ish black and hurt like a bitch. Took a couple of months for it to go away and I to this day still have the faintest outline of it on my arm. Sometimes we just get lucky, eh? :D

I'm so grateful that all my Lovenox shots were given in my thighs. I had bruising, but nothing close to what you've experienced. I had read everyone got them on their tummies, and I was paranoid since I had such a huge belly. Luckily, my surgeon chooses to do these injections far away from the surgical sites, and he said his reasoning is to decrease the amount of anticoagulants around his surgery site.