Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a little sugar...

You are absolutely an inspiration Meggie. I am so glad that I went to youtube and saw your videos and am able to follow you through this journey. I only wish I could take away your pain.

I thought about the fibro and cfs because those are the reasons I'm doing it. I've been almost bedridden for years now and I want my life back. To do that I know I have to go through some suffering and even then there's no guarantee. Something I'm willing to chance. I take so many meds that I had to ask Drs about how the heck I was going to do that after surgery.

Are you having any problems taking your pills? I'm so scared. I know I'll be ok and like you, I'll get through it but dag, I've gotta admit, i'm scared.

I hope you're getting the rest you need. I left you a msg with my phone number in it so if you need to talk, vent, scream or cry, call me. I promise I'll even try not to make you giggle cause that will hurt. ;)

XOXO Renee`

You are so right! i have had to beg my husband and son NOT to make me laugh! I am pretty tired tonight, for sure. I find it too hard to hold the phone up! But we can be sleeve buddies for sure. I will prop me up in a little bit to do a video too so everyone knows I survived!

RE Meds- the first day was tough. I cut things in half with a pill cutter if they are larger as my doc says to do that for larger than pea size. I take them first thing in the morning with some warm tea and hope for the best. I got my acid med in a Gelatin capsule- that goes down well.

I am very lucky as both of my pain meds are ideally suited for the sleeve. I use the fentanyl patch, lightest dose-12, and that requires no swallowing. For breakthrough pain I have dilaudid 2mg- a teensy weensie pill- again ideal. In the hospital my doc used dilaudid iv for my pain pump so it was familiar- though man it works fast IV! When I have pain at home I wish I could get it to work so fast!

So far no pill has caused me to vomit at home. The only time that happened was when they crushed one n the hospital, and gave me a powder in Water. GAG!

Give yourself space and time to adapt and as I have learned this week- don't be hard on yourself if you don't progress as fat as others- they don't face the challenges you do.

Hugs sweetie! This will be behind you soon enough and you will be so happy!

You brought tears to my eyes. You're a special person Meggie and I seriously hope your pain lessens very very soon.

*hugs*

XOXO Renee`

By all means, if you are vomiting in your tea, and if you cannot stomach unsweetened tea, tea with lemon, or plain Water to hydrate, then for heaven's sake.......throw caution to the wind and add sugar!

I have no suggestions. I don't drink stuff with artificial sweeteners, but for different reasons; I suffer from Migraines and the blue and pink stuff trigger them. Only Stivia is "safe" for me. So....that is what I use. For some reason tea doesn't taste good to me with Stivia in it since I had surgery, go figure. I drink it plain or with lemon. Water, plain or with lemon or lime. Water in a big glass pitcher in the frig and several slices of cucumber is refreshing, believe it or not. (A suggestion from Tiffikins) I drink 2 glasses of milk a day.....16 oz of liquid and 16 oz of Protein. I've done the milk thing this since I was about where you are now. I discovered the Protein Shots, little 3.5 oz things from GNC, a couple sips in the morning, a couple at noon and finish it off later in the day. Hold your nose and rinse your mouth out afterwards. Beats the hell out of nursing a big Protein shake for two hours....GAGGING it down the entire time. Yuck!!! Those bullets saved me. They're not something you're going to belly up to a bar and order....but it beats a nasty Protein Powder any day of the week.

In good conscience I have to ask, have you spoken to YOUR doctor or dietitian? You are on a forum asking strangers, and I dare say, none of us are bariatric dietitans, bariatric nurses or doctors. All we can tell you is what we do, what we've been instructed to do and what has worked or not worked for us. Opinions are kind of like...well, you know.

I do concede, I am a bit harsh.

That just may help!

I am not going to push myself until I can drink more without pain. Today has been much better for fluids, and one 30 grams of Protein Shake. With setting my iPhone I think I pulled myself back from the brink of dehydration though my urine is quite dark so I will be closely monitoring.

As prepared and researched as I was, you don't really know how it is until you are in it- and also everyone has a different degree of difficulty during healing. WIth my fibromyalgia I should have realized I might have some problems! D'uh!

And the Propel grape water is excellent!

No one knows all of that more than me! Very similar things have been posted by me to others. Here's the thing- I tried countless samples and used my two weeks of liquids to find the best Protein shakes for me. I found five different ones that were palatable and I got some of each to have here waiting for me. And so far, four days after surgery, all of them made me vomit.

I am not talking about my approach to life when I am able to eat. I plan to count carbs, and I WILL make the most of this losing phase.

But have a heart girl- you are being a bit harsh when I am vomiting and fighting dehydration, still feeling pain on swallowing, and my careful research was for naught.

And where is your suggestion for what I might do to solve this?

RIght now I need to get through this few weeks and heal my sleeve and move forward. No need to imply I am making excuses or sabotaging.

I will try a different stevia but so far it made me vomit in my tea yesterday.

Yep. Fatal in large quantities. Plus once they taste even a smidgen they then crave it- lethal combo of circumstances.

You're absolutely correct, everyone is different - if every single brand of stivia is unappealing and no artifical sweetener will do, then by all means, use sugar.

Stevia might be your friend but that does not mean everyone likes it or can even tolerate it. Preparing for surgery ahead of time has nothing to do with it. I have never been able to eat or drink artificial sweeteners or the new "natural" sweeteners like stevia (which has the exact same disgusting aftertaste) in my life, so researching and/or "life changes" weren't going to change that fact. Everyone is different. This is not a one size fits all lifestyle.smile.gif

By all means, if you are vomiting in your tea, and if you cannot stomach unsweetened tea, tea with lemon, or plain Water to hydrate, then for heaven's sake.......throw caution to the wind and add sugar!

I have no suggestions. I don't drink stuff with artificial sweeteners, but for different reasons; I suffer from Migraines and the blue and pink stuff trigger them. Only Stivia is "safe" for me. So....that is what I use. For some reason tea doesn't taste good to me with Stivia in it since I had surgery, go figure. I drink it plain or with lemon. Water, plain or with lemon or lime. Water in a big glass pitcher in the frig and several slices of cucumber is refreshing, believe it or not. (A suggestion from Tiffikins) I drink 2 glasses of milk a day.....16 oz of liquid and 16 oz of Protein. I've done the milk thing this since I was about where you are now. I discovered the Protein Shots, little 3.5 oz things from GNC, a couple sips in the morning, a couple at noon and finish it off later in the day. Hold your nose and rinse your mouth out afterwards. Beats the hell out of nursing a big Protein shake for two hours....GAGGING it down the entire time. Yuck!!! Those bullets saved me. They're not something you're going to belly up to a bar and order....but it beats a nasty Protein Powder any day of the week.

In good conscience I have to ask, have you spoken to YOUR doctor or dietitian? You are on a forum asking strangers, and I dare say, none of us are bariatric dietitans, bariatric nurses or doctors. All we can tell you is what we do, what we've been instructed to do and what has worked or not worked for us. Opinions are kind of like...well, you know.

I do concede, I am a bit harsh.

Yes I have a call in to my dietician.

TIffykins said that the protein in thos shots is a different kind of protein and not digested in the same way. My. doctor does not recommend them. In any case- I am in no condition to try and quickly get something gross down while everything hurts goin in. There is pain on swallowing anything right now and slow sipping is all I can do.

Unfortunately our brita filter water made me puke too. Smart water turned out to work, but slowly, and it hurts. I am shockd at the change in taste buds.

I am not allowed milk- I am allowed Clear Liquids and Protein drinks for three weeks. It has been difficult. I guess my point would be to look beyond your own experience and know that everyone has their own, and it might be completely different from yours. And not because of a mistake they made, or lack of preparation, but simply because they are different.

Today was better -hooray!- my husband made wonderful chicken broth while I was in the hospital and strained it, chilled it skimmed off the fat, and made ice cubes for me to use- I added unjury unflavored powder and it worked- it hurt- and took forever!- but I got it down.

Day by day! That is all we can do.

I hesitate to add anything unhelpful...but I'm hoping this could maybe add a new perspective. In this small European country in which I live, I am part of a bariatric practice that is very academically respected and one of the top clinics in Europe. They are not only treating many, many patients over the years, they have also conducted a number of studies -- they know what works and what doesn't (this is why they discontinued doing the band already since a couple years ago).

As with most practices, they do a lot of testing up front. This includes measuring your basal metabolic rate and extensive research into how you eat, drink, exercise, and what caused you to get fat in the first place. Then they treat everyone according to those differences. One size does NOT fit all, indeed.

However, some things are pretty standard: There is no liquid phase, before or after surgery. People don't live on shakes or supplements, ever. Everyone moves to solid food (well, well chewed of course -- this was a major part of our 'training' lol) on the third or fourth day after surgery. Though they sort of encourage using diet products with artificial sweeteners, they are not at all insisting on it -- because there is general dislike of artificial sweeteners here anyhow. They do warn the GBS patients to avoid dumping by not eating more than 15g of sugar at one go. Nothing is forbidden, but things that are empty calories are recommended to be infrequent and in small amounts -- ie, moderation. Carbs are required on the eating plan -- Protein, fruit/veg, + carbs (pasta, potatoes, bread). Calories are not counted, nor are grams of anything. Just a well-balanced eating approach, which is pretty closely supervised, so they can see if someone's missing something important.

Bottom line is, they have a very different approach. Where you wouldn't be stressing so much over whether to use sugar -- many patients here do, in their coffee and jogurt, etc. And in the end, they have just as much success with their patients as the US and Mexico practices do. There is more than one way to skin a fat cat. ;)

I understand the strict plans and the people who follow them religiously. I get that, I really do. It's just not the only way. I think the best thing about this more holistic, flexible approach is that it can deal with difference -- it can handle that someone's not tolerating carbs, for instance, and just do a work-around. It doesn't say try 15 different shakes or supplements and just pound sand if they don't work, because you can't eat anything but these clear things for three weeks. That's not an approach that is going to help someone who's having difficulties, and that's exactly where I part ways with the strict/religious approach. There has to be a way to accommodate different needs -- because having different needs doesn't make you wrong or bad or defective, it just means one size doesn't fit all. Hell, we fatties should know that more than anyone. :D

MeggieP, I just hope you find something that works. And I hope you trust your smart brain, your new angry tummy, and your body, enough to hear what it needs to help it through this rough patch. Feel better, and take it easy. :)

Meggie,

I'm so sorry you are struggling. I've been following your posts (even though I don't post much, I read here alot) and you definitely tried as hard as anyone to be fully prepared. I'm sure you'll get it all figured out.

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a Protein drink that I found at GNC. You actually posted in the thread that it has too many carbs to be approved by your doc, but if you are really desperate, it actually is sweetened with cane juice. If you decide (alone or with the advice of the dietitian) that you can be ok with a few extra bits of sugar/carbs in order to get your Protein in, definitely give this a shot. I find it is light-years ahead of any others in terms of taste.

And I swear I'm not paid anything to say that.

here's the post I originally made:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/16293-yummy-yummy-protein/

Oh, and I"m also a fan of xylitol. I had a dental hygienist recommend it to me because it is actualy GOOD for your teeth. Best taken in small doses because it can cause the bowels to become a bit weak. But it might be a good thing to add to tea. It really doesn't taste at all like artificial sweetener (and I can't stand Stevia).

whey Protein has milk in it: Whey Protein is a high quality protein powder from cow's milk. Every dietitian is different; Mine considered skim milk a clear liquid. I think if sugar sweetened tea sits well, but Water makes you sick - there may be a medical problem - in my humble opinon. Medical attention may be needed. If there is pain when you swallow - he did nothing to your throat unless something was damaged during surgery.

Slowly sipping is normal at this time, and will be for a while. Tea and Decaf coffee tasted funny to me for approx. three months.

The protein bullets are NOT 'the best' source of protein, but alas, they did not make me sick and I didn't really taste them when holding my breath and nose. Being from Texas and very vain, I had two goals, losing weight and not losing my hair. Mission accomplished. I knew I needed to get the protein in and could not and would not be able to do it with whey, soy or any kind of protein shake. I couldn't stomach them before sugery, I knew afterwards would be impossible. I did try for a few days and it took HOURS of nursing one, it would get warm, I'd add ice, it would milk and the dang thing did nothing but "grow". More to drink!! Yep, we're all different.

Whoever said they started solids at three days....I can't imagine any reputable doctor in OUR country recommending putting solids in our new tummies at day 3 or 4; We are stitched and full of staples, but I guess you never know, there are quacks, we all know that. You can't drink Water, imagine eating baked chicken or a sirloin; nobody wants to risk a leak! I cannot believe doctors nation wide have these diet rules to be 'mean'. A conspiracy? Oh my!

At our seminar, what did catch my attention, and stuck with me is: "This is not a diet, this is a way of life" I like that, it's hard to wrap your head around it and not worry about regaining, but it's possible. About the sugar thing and finding something to drink, I looked in what I call my 'bariatric Bible' the book they gave us at the seminar and what it says is look for things, food and drinks that have no more than 10 gr per serving, but SF is preferable. It is some times hard to do, but possible with 100% fruit juices and other drinks. I cannot remember what, but there are drinks out there.

The first two weeks when I was allowed broth, we went out to eat several times and I'd order Soup and just sip the broth. The BEST was a Mexican food restaurant in Dallas - El Fenix, the tortilla Soup. Real food....seasoned perfectly but just the broth, I left the solids. Another good one was the chicken noodle at Panera bread. Just suggestions for something different. You'll have plenty left over to take home. I would call the doctor about the pain if it continues, seriously.

Yes I have a call in to my dietician.

TIffykins said that the protein in thos shots is a different kind of protein and not digested in the same way. My. doctor does not recommend them. In any case- I am in no condition to try and quickly get something gross down while everything hurts goin in. There is pain on swallowing anything right now and slow sipping is all I can do.

Unfortunately our brita filter water made me puke too. Smart water turned out to work, but slowly, and it hurts. I am shockd at the change in taste buds.

I am not allowed milk- I am allowed Clear Liquids and Protein Drinks for three weeks. It has been difficult. I guess my point would be to look beyond your own experience and know that everyone has their own, and it might be completely different from yours. And not because of a mistake they made, or lack of preparation, but simply because they are different.

Today was better -hooray!- my husband made wonderful chicken broth while I was in the hospital and strained it, chilled it skimmed off the fat, and made ice cubes for me to use- I added unjury unflavored powder and it worked- it hurt- and took forever!- but I got it down.

Day by day! That is all we can do.

I hesitate to add anything unhelpful...but I'm hoping this could maybe add a new perspective. In this small European country in which I live, I am part of a bariatric practice that is very academically respected and one of the top clinics in Europe. They are not only treating many, many patients over the years, they have also conducted a number of studies -- they know what works and what doesn't (this is why they discontinued doing the band already since a couple years ago).

As with most practices, they do a lot of testing up front. This includes measuring your basal metabolic rate and extensive research into how you eat, drink, exercise, and what caused you to get fat in the first place. Then they treat everyone according to those differences. One size does NOT fit all, indeed.

However, some things are pretty standard: There is no liquid phase, before or after surgery. People don't live on shakes or supplements, ever. Everyone moves to solid food (well, well chewed of course -- this was a major part of our 'training' lol) on the third or fourth day after surgery. Though they sort of encourage using diet products with artificial sweeteners, they are not at all insisting on it -- because there is general dislike of artificial sweeteners here anyhow. They do warn the GBS patients to avoid dumping by not eating more than 15g of sugar at one go. Nothing is forbidden, but things that are empty calories are recommended to be infrequent and in small amounts -- ie, moderation. Carbs are required on the eating plan -- Protein, fruit/veg, + carbs (pasta, potatoes, bread). Calories are not counted, nor are grams of anything. Just a well-balanced eating approach, which is pretty closely supervised, so they can see if someone's missing something important.

Bottom line is, they have a very different approach. Where you wouldn't be stressing so much over whether to use sugar -- many patients here do, in their coffee and jogurt, etc. And in the end, they have just as much success with their patients as the US and Mexico practices do. There is more than one way to skin a fat cat. ;)

I understand the strict plans and the people who follow them religiously. I get that, I really do. It's just not the only way. I think the best thing about this more holistic, flexible approach is that it can deal with difference -- it can handle that someone's not tolerating carbs, for instance, and just do a work-around. It doesn't say try 15 different shakes or supplements and just pound sand if they don't work, because you can't eat anything but these clear things for three weeks. That's not an approach that is going to help someone who's having difficulties, and that's exactly where I part ways with the strict/religious approach. There has to be a way to accommodate different needs -- because having different needs doesn't make you wrong or bad or defective, it just means one size doesn't fit all. Hell, we fatties should know that more than anyone. :D

MeggieP, I just hope you find something that works. And I hope you trust your smart brain, your new angry tummy, and your body, enough to hear what it needs to help it through this rough patch. Feel better, and take it easy. :)

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this! I love hearing about the European approach- and am sorry another poster had to be so arrogant and demeaning to you and call them quacks .

I figure we all find our way on this journey with a lot of help along the way from doctor, support groups, forums, friends and family. In the end we disseminate everything we hear and choose our own path.

It is probably frustrating to most of us that there is not ONE true way- an exact pre-op and post-op path to follow to weight loss nirvana.

By providing the general approach in Europe you have greatly enriched my choices! Thank you.

Meggie,

I'm so sorry you are struggling. I've been following your posts (even though I don't post much, I read here alot) and you definitely tried as hard as anyone to be fully prepared. I'm sure you'll get it all figured out.

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a Protein Drink that I found at GNC. You actually posted in the thread that it has too many carbs to be approved by your doc, but if you are really desperate, it actually is sweetened with cane juice. If you decide (alone or with the advice of the dietitian) that you can be ok with a few extra bits of sugar/carbs in order to get your Protein in, definitely give this a shot. I find it is light-years ahead of any others in terms of taste.

And I swear I'm not paid anything to say that.

here's the post I originally made:

http://www.verticals...-yummy-protein/

Oh, and I"m also a fan of xylitol. I had a dental hygienist recommend it to me because it is actualy GOOD for your teeth. Best taken in small doses because it can cause the bowels to become a bit weak. But it might be a good thing to add to tea. It really doesn't taste at all like artificial sweetener (and I can't stand Stevia).

I remember! You are right, now that I am experimenting with where I go from here in terms of my choices I will have another look at the shake you love and the xylitol. We can all use some choices!

Than you.

Whey protein has milk in it: Whey protein is a high quality protein powder from cow's milk. Every dietitian is different; Mine considered skim milk a clear liquid. I think if sugar sweetened tea sits well, but Water makes you sick - there may be a medical problem - in my humble opinon. Medical attention may be needed. If there is pain when you swallow - he did nothing to your throat unless something was damaged during surgery.

Slowly sipping is normal at this time, and will be for a while. Tea and Decaf coffee tasted funny to me for approx. three months.

The protein bullets are NOT 'the best' source of protein, but alas, they did not make me sick and I didn't really taste them when holding my breath and nose. Being from Texas and very vain, I had two goals, losing weight and not losing my hair. Mission accomplished. I knew I needed to get the protein in and could not and would not be able to do it with Whey, soy or any kind of Protein Shake. I couldn't stomach them before sugery, I knew afterwards would be impossible. I did try for a few days and it took HOURS of nursing one, it would get warm, I'd add ice, it would milk and the dang thing did nothing but "grow". More to drink!! Yep, we're all different.

Whoever said they started solids at three days....I can't imagine any reputable doctor in OUR country recommending putting solids in our new tummies at day 3 or 4; We are stitched and full of staples, but I guess you never know, there are quacks, we all know that. You can't drink Water, imagine eating baked chicken or a sirloin; nobody wants to risk a leak! I cannot believe doctors nation wide have these diet rules to be 'mean'. A conspiracy? Oh my!

At our seminar, what did catch my attention, and stuck with me is: "This is not a diet, this is a way of life" I like that, it's hard to wrap your head around it and not worry about regaining, but it's possible. About the sugar thing and finding something to drink, I looked in what I call my 'bariatric Bible' the book they gave us at the seminar and what it says is look for things, food and drinks that have no more than 10 gr per serving, but SF is preferable. It is some times hard to do, but possible with 100% fruit juices and other drinks. I cannot remember what, but there are drinks out there.

The first two weeks when I was allowed broth, we went out to eat several times and I'd order Soup and just sip the broth. The BEST was a Mexican food restaurant in Dallas - El Fenix, the tortilla soup. Real food....seasoned perfectly but just the broth, I left the solids. Another good one was the chicken noodle at Panera bread. Just suggestions for something different. You'll have plenty left over to take home. I would call the doctor about the pain if it continues, seriously.

Seriously- did you read this? You actually called the doctors in Europe quacks because of their approach to this surgery? Seriously? American arrogance personified.

BTW- how do you think the bougie gets in to your stomach? Do some research. How about this video -

Check that out at about 2:45 if you do not want to watch the whole thing.

Many surgeries pass a scope or tool through the throat.

Lots of people awaken with a huge sore throat.

In addition , pain swallowing and drinking is VERY common after surgery. No, I do not have a medical problem with this. It is now day six and I am drinking fine, if slowly and small amounts.

Truly, I will as kindly as possible say I do not need any more advice from you.I am very pleased you reached your goal and are easily maintaining. You have done well with that but you do have a way of being rude to people while also trumpeting your success. I do not find it helpful so for me, at least, it is not needed.

Peace.

You can get off your high horse; I believe I said "I can't imagine any reputable doctor in OUR country recommending putting solids in our new tummies at day 3 or 4; We are stitched and full of staples, but I guess you never know, there are quacks, we all know that" referring to 'over there' as well as here in the good ol' US of A. I do believe any surgeon that moves straight to solid food, although well chewed "of course" is probably not a "Center of Excellence" doctor - that's my opinion. Nothing I've ever read or any video I've ever seen ever suggested that was in any plan. I did extensive, obsessive research for six months prior to surgery....at least that is what some have accused me of. I know exactly how that handy, dandy little tool gets into our tummy, but gee, thanks for the lesson - i didn't think it just magically got there. I appreciate the link, you can never see too much now, can you! Don't worry, no more advice from me. It is apparent you wanted sympathy, not advice. If you really wanted answers, you'd call your physician. Peace out right back at ya.

Seriously- did you read this? You actually called the doctors in Europe quacks because of their approach to this surgery? Seriously? American arrogance personified.

BTW- how do you think the bougie gets in to your stomach? Do some research. How about this video -

"he did nothing to your throat"

Your words- your "advice" was that there must be a medical problem if my throat hurt when I swallowed. I have read countless times how many people come out of surgery with very very sore throats.

When you say "reputable" doctor your opinion is obvious. Then you add quack to the mix. Don't try to dial it back as if you were not insulting the policies of a reputable hospital. Compared to many surgeries this is newer than some- and obviously from the extremely different approaches of all the different doctors even at centers of excellence- there is no one approach.

We each have to weigh the different options and find our own way.

I did NOT come here for sympathy- I came for GOOD ADVICE. I don;t even want sympathy- I am a very lucky woman to have had this surgery and to be given a chance to go for life. And to have it covered by my insurance too

All I got from you was rudeness, superiority, and an inability to see beyond your own experience to that of another. Another word for the ability to do that is compassion and I think you need to practice it. Have a look, truly, at all the posts you made in this thread from telling me I did not prepare adequately for my surgery, to telling me my throat would not hurt after surgery unless I have a medical problem, to this last choice bit. I started this thread for some comments and advice. I got great advice, but NOT FROM YOU. Instead of being willing to look inward at your own self you just have to keep leveling out the same harshness. You really seem to have forgotten what life was like in the first week.

Meggie, breathe hun...remember you are recovering from a major surgery and you absolutely don't need this stress. Just know that we love you and are behind you 100%. Now concentrate on making yourself well and not wasting your breath.

Hope you're feeling better today

XOXO Renee`

Meggie, breathe hun...remember you are recovering from a major surgery and you absolutely don't need this stress. Just know that we love you and are behind you 100%. Now concentrate on making yourself well and not wasting your breath.

Hope you're feeling better today

XOXO Renee`

LOL! My release from the nastiness was to go post for you over in pre-op! xoxoxo

whatever works and THANK YOU! Now go give your son a huge hug from me because he's just so darn adorable and I gotta love a kid that so adoringly loves and supports his momma! Ok and your hubby is pretty cool too, you can give him a hug from me, give the puppy / baby lots of kisses because puppy kisses are the best stress relievers EVER!

XOXO Renee`

There's a distinct difference between a sore throat and "puking and vomiting" - (your words) - with just about everything that passes your lips. First you asked about sugar....then we digressed to nothing with artifical sweetener will do. The aftertaste is too horrible...obviously developing a taste for it is out of the question. Water makes you 'puke' - seriously now, really??!! All this from what?

Please do NOT insult me, or try to....I am not dialing "it" back at all. I stand by every single thing I said. Call a spade a spade, a quack a quack, I don't give a rat's rear end where he/she is located. If starting solids a few days after having 85% of your stomach removed is common 'over there' - then YES, I will shout it and post it.......QUACKS!!!!! If we have doctors here that do that.....then, quack, quack. BTW, they've been doing this surgery for years and years...before it was being done for the first part of a 2 part WLS (DS) it was being done, (removing all or part of the stomach) for ulcers and cancer. My step-mother had a large portion of her tummy taken out over 30 years ago.....weight loss was just a bonus, she lost 45 lbs, not that she needed to....and remains thin to this day.

I remember exactly what it was like at week 1 and week 2. I sat around with a heating pad, walked a lot around the house; tried my hardest to drink HALF the Water they wanted me to. Slept with a flat pillow under my tummy because it hurt to turn over. Stopped pain meds after a few days. I only took it at night anyway. I really had no issues except getting enough liquids in. I felt good except when I coughed....I needed a pillow to hold against my tummy. Every day I felt better. My memory sucks, but I remember....I also remember giving birth to my children.

I really don't agree with you, I don't think I'm arrogant, but that doesn't offend me. I'm pretty thick skinned. I've said what works for me. Take it or leave it. People ask for advice, I can only tell you my story. Some times people ask questions and they really don't want answers....or they already KNOW the answer.

"he did nothing to your throat"

Your words- your "advice" was that there must be a medical problem if my throat hurt when I swallowed. I have read countless times how many people come out of surgery with very very sore throats.

When you say "reputable" doctor your opinion is obvious. Then you add quack to the mix. Don't try to dial it back as if you were not insulting the policies of a reputable hospital. Compared to many surgeries this is newer than some- and obviously from the extremely different approaches of all the different doctors even at centers of excellence- there is no one approach.

We each have to weigh the different options and find our own way.

I did NOT come here for sympathy- I came for GOOD ADVICE. I don;t even want sympathy- I am a very lucky woman to have had this surgery and to be given a chance to go for life. And to have it covered by my insurance too

All I got from you was rudeness, superiority, and an inability to see beyond your own experience to that of another. Another word for the ability to do that is compassion and I think you need to practice it. Have a look, truly, at all the posts you made in this thread from telling me I did not prepare adequately for my surgery, to telling me my throat would not hurt after surgery unless I have a medical problem, to this last choice bit. I started this thread for some comments and advice. I got great advice, but NOT FROM YOU. Instead of being willing to look inward at your own self you just have to keep leveling out the same harshness. You really seem to have forgotten what life was like in the first week.