Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a little sugar...

Jay Robb Protein drinks are made with Stevia. Are you against Stevia too? It's a plant. The Vitamin Shoppe sells individual packets so you can try it without buying a canister. It's 19.99 for not a very big can.

A lot of people really like the Jay Robb .

You might want to try "ideal" sweetener It's Xylitol the same sweetener used in many sugar free gums now. It's good for your teeth and tastes pretty good IMO http://www.idealsweet.com/ It is VERY sweet so a tiny bit is more than enough (one packet is the sweetness equivelant to 2 ts of sugar)

Take care with the Xylitol, it is poison to dogs. It is safe for people.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

http://www.snopes.co...der/xylitol.asp

oh man that stuff makes me run, not walk, to the bathroom! I bought some chocolates that were sugar free / low carb with xylitol in them one time and my family wanted to kill me. "sorry kids! Mom was TRYING to make us healthy..." my son from the bathroom "I didn't have problems going to the bathroom! THANKS MOM! " oops...

It's kinda like make up, a little is good, too much is well...too much. LOL

XOXO Renee`

Jay Robb Protein drinks are made with Stevia. Are you against Stevia too? It's a plant. The Vitamin Shoppe sells individual packets so you can try it without buying a canister. It's 19.99 for not a very big can.

A lot of people really like the Jay Robb .

I will definitely try one- I did NOT like stevia used in my tea but maybe it is more artfully used in the Jay Robbs- others have mentioned them.

Ye- that is another reason I hate having introduced artificial sweeteners into our home- most of them are toxic to dogs and my dog is a light in my life .

Here is where I stand today- I have decided to do a balance of full sugar and artificial. Today my formerly very fave chocolate Protein Powder tasted halfway decent with Decaf coffee and ice blended into it. I think I can get it down as long as it is early in the day. The Dreyer's fruit popsicles I can also handle- in fact I LOVE them! (EDY's on the East Coast). But I will also allow myself a little sugar and my focus will be Protein, and fluids, at least for this three weeks.

I saw on youtube someone froze their Protein shakes into little popsicles and actually had better luck with them. Have you tried that? When I read this post I hadn't realized you were having such a hard time with it but since watching the videos I get it a bit more now.

Renee`

My dietitian would ask "why would you want to sabotage yourself?" You know the answer or you wouldn't be on here asking us. Your in the honeymoon stage....your chance for the biggest weight loss in the least amount of time is in the first 12 months. I didn't 'cheat' at all during the losing stage. I treated this as the most important diet of my life. Nothing sweet passed my lips. Stivia is my friend, I love it, it's been a life saver. (GNC has the best) I don't care for the blue, pink or yellow either. Now I'm learning to live as a thin person, which is the difficult part.

Life changes should have been made before surgery. This is why people are on message boards and forums whining about regaining or not losing quickly enough........I'm just sayin'

So... I have never used artificial sweetener, never in my 57 years except when I was in my teens and TAB was made with cyclamates- the best artificial sweetener ever.

I just can't stand the after taste. In addition, everything made with them is sickeningly sweet. Though I did find a couple of Protein drinks I can tolerate in general I just can't stomach them.

Naturally that is even more true post surgery, unfortunately. At the hospital the Protein Drink I got was ghastly. Since the Decaf tea came with those usual blue and pin packets I drank it unsweetened and I hated it. The broth was only slightly more palatable- at least it wasn;t sweet. I really had trouble getting liquids in in general. I actually was forced to spend a second night in hospital due to not getting enough liquids i what with the chest and stomach pain, gas, etc.

SO I am home now, on my own territory, with three full weeks on full liquids ahead of me- fortunately that includes cottage cheese, cream Soups, and other savory stuffs but I am still let with the fluids issue. I plan to try sugar free pudding Jello, and popsicles but I fear them totally. I am doing a lot of warm Water but- really is putting a half a teaspoon of sugar in 24 ounces of Water going to ruin my success with the sleeve? As long as I include them in my carb count does it really matter? I am a complier but I nee a great reason for the things I do.

chocolate is poison to dogs too.

I have had stevia that is good and stevia that is bitter.. I think they are doing a better job with the refining thing these days, Trader Joes has packets that are pretty good. I got an ice cream maker to try Eggfaces Protein ice cream recipe... will try the soon and report back. Chikes banana might make some great ice cream!

I saw on youtube someone froze their Protein shakes into little popsicles and actually had better luck with them. Have you tried that? When I read this post I hadn't realized you were having such a hard time with it but since watching the videos I get it a bit more now.

Renee`

That just may help!

I am not going to push myself until I can drink more without pain. Today has been much better for fluids, and one 30 grams of Protein shake. With setting my iPhone I think I pulled myself back from the brink of dehydration though my urine is quite dark so I will be closely monitoring.

As prepared and researched as I was, you don't really know how it is until you are in it- and also everyone has a different degree of difficulty during healing. WIth my fibromyalgia I should have realized I might have some problems! D'uh!

And the Propel grape Water is excellent!

My dietitian would ask "why would you want to sabotage yourself?" You know the answer or you wouldn't be on here asking us. Your in the honeymoon stage....your chance for the biggest weight loss in the least amount of time is in the first 12 months. I didn't 'cheat' at all during the losing stage. I treated this as the most important diet of my life. Nothing sweet passed my lips. Stivia is my friend, I love it, it's been a life saver. (GNC has the best) I don't care for the blue, pink or yellow either. Now I'm learning to live as a thin person, which is the difficult part.

Life changes should have been made before surgery. This is why people are on message boards and forums whining about regaining or not losing quickly enough........I'm just sayin'

No one knows all of that more than me! Very similar things have been posted by me to others. Here's the thing- I tried countless samples and used my two weeks of liquids to find the best Protein Shakes for me. I found five different ones that were palatable and I got some of each to have here waiting for me. And so far, four days after surgery, all of them made me vomit.

I am not talking about my approach to life when I am able to eat. I plan to count carbs, and I WILL make the most of this losing phase.

But have a heart girl- you are being a bit harsh when I am vomiting and fighting dehydration, still feeling pain on swallowing, and my careful research was for naught.

And where is your suggestion for what I might do to solve this?

RIght now I need to get through this few weeks and heal my sleeve and move forward. No need to imply I am making excuses or sabotaging.

I will try a different stevia but so far it made me vomit in my tea yesterday.

chocolate is poison to dogs too.

Yep. Fatal in large quantities. Plus once they taste even a smidgen they then crave it- lethal combo of circumstances.

Stevia might be your friend but that does not mean everyone likes it or can even tolerate it. Preparing for surgery ahead of time has nothing to do with it. I have never been able to eat or drink artificial sweeteners or the new "natural" sweeteners like stevia (which has the exact same disgusting aftertaste) in my life, so researching and/or "life changes" weren't going to change that fact. Everyone is different. This is not a one size fits all lifestyle.smile.gif

I can't help but come back to your post.

Seriously this was just plain insulting. I did thorough research and made life changes months ago .

Stevia worked for YOU. YOU hit your goal in five months. YOU had no problems with any of the phases, apparently

However I have news for you- it is not because of your superior preparation before. Surely in reading here on the forums you have seen that everyone experience is different. You can do everything you can to make your post op easy and hope that following all the golden rules (Protein, Water, exercise, low carbs, supplements) is effortless because of what you KNOW- However, your new tiny tummy does not always know what you know.

I have fibromyalgia and my body already had a history of betraying me on occasion. I hoped for the best and right now I am scrambling to figure out what I can do that works. I asked about sugar because the other options were not working. Not because I am dumb, unprepared, etc. I am FOUR days post surgery. Perhaps you have forgotten how that felt.

I had my surgery with Dr Aceves on May 2. Since then, I have lost 20 lbs + feel great.

The first 10 days, I drank 2 Isopure Zero Carb [get @ GNC] per day. That gave me 80 g of Protein / day and 40 of the 64 oz of Fluid that i needed.

Then I got the Imagine chicken Free Range chicken broth [comes in a box] 2 for $5.00--delicious.

And do avoid artificial sweetners--trust your INTUITION.

STEVIA comes in many forms at the grocery story. It appear expensive, and you may be tempted to use an entire packet--put try 1/4 packet. Stevia is a plant that you can grow in your garden, it is dried and then put into powder form. IF 1/4 is not enough, add from their.

You are retraining your Mouth, your Mind, your Mood in this WL journey.

Please stop this. You have no idea who Meggie is or what she's going through right now, you're only posting to advertise and it's disgusting. I hope that Dr. Aceves' office does something about it because this is NEGATIVE advertising.

Meggie, drink what makes YOUR tummy happy girl! You'll get through this, I don't need to tell you that, you know after reading up for so long it can be rough at first. I say drink whatever you can to get fluids in and screw anyone that doesn't like it. I'm so upset right now over this and I know I shouldn't be. Way over emotional over what you're drinking lol dumb, eh?

What you drink doesn't matter right now as long as you get something in. If you need someone to talk to, I can give you my phone number. Either way, please don't get discouraged. I know you're hurting and feel awful, just keep sipping.

XOXO Renee`

\

I can't help but come back to your post.

Seriously this was just plain insulting. I did thorough research and made life changes months ago .

Stevia worked for YOU. YOU hit your goal in five months. YOU had no problems with any of the phases, apparently

However I have news for you- it is not because of your superior preparation before. Surely in reading here on the forums you have seen that everyone experience is different. You can do everything you can to make your post op easy and hope that following all the golden rules (Protein, Water, exercise, low carbs, supplements) is effortless because of what you KNOW- However, your new tiny tummy does not always know what you know.

I have fibromyalgia and my body already had a history of betraying me on occasion. I hoped for the best and right now I am scrambling to figure out what I can do that works. I asked about sugar because the other options were not working. Not because I am dumb, unprepared, etc. I am FOUR days post surgery. Perhaps you have forgotten how that felt.

I also suffer from severe fibro and cfs and you're right, no one does understand what happens when your body absolutely is pissed off at you and won't relent. Yes, it was insensitive and thoughtless, we've all been guilty of it. Just like wls, education is key.

You did the research, you participated in the forums and were totally prepared. NO ONE can prepare your body when you have fibro. It's one of my biggest fears going through this. I wish I could make this easier for you, seriously, if you need someone to talk to, call anytime.

Renee`

Please stop this. You have no idea who Meggie is or what she's going through right now, you're only posting to advertise and it's disgusting. I hope that Dr. Aceves' office does something about it because this is NEGATIVE advertising.

Meggie, drink what makes YOUR tummy happy girl! You'll get through this, I don't need to tell you that, you know after reading up for so long it can be rough at first. I say drink whatever you can to get fluids in and screw anyone that doesn't like it. I'm so upset right now over this and I know I shouldn't be. Way over emotional over what you're drinking lol dumb, eh?

What you drink doesn't matter right now as long as you get something in. If you need someone to talk to, I can give you my phone number. Either way, please don't get discouraged. I know you're hurting and feel awful, just keep sipping.

XOXO Renee`

\

I do appreciate them saying to listen to my intuition about artificial sweeteners. But being as I had my sleeve already I certainly do not need a referral!

I also suffer from severe fibro and cfs and you're right, no one does understand what happens when your body absolutely is pissed off at you and won't relent. Yes, it was insensitive and thoughtless, we've all been guilty of it. Just like wls, education is key.

You did the research, you participated in the forums and were totally prepared. NO ONE can prepare your body when you have fibro. It's one of my biggest fears going through this. I wish I could make this easier for you, seriously, if you need someone to talk to, call anytime.

Renee`

I'll tell you something Renee- as prepared as I was I didn't think about my fibro for a moment! D'uh! Other than the fact that I believe taking the weight off this body of mine will dramatically benefit all my conditions- including my fibro. You need to put those fear aside- fear serves no purpose! Remember that even though I can hardly hold my head up right now (late afternoon early evening is a low energy time!) I would not change a thing.

I am even too tired to post but giant hugs to you and you have a friend here to help you through your surgery when the time comes- it is great I will be a little bit ahead of you so you can have hope!

You are absolutely an inspiration Meggie. I am so glad that I went to youtube and saw your videos and am able to follow you through this journey. I only wish I could take away your pain.

I thought about the fibro and cfs because those are the reasons I'm doing it. I've been almost bedridden for years now and I want my life back. To do that I know I have to go through some suffering and even then there's no guarantee. Something I'm willing to chance. I take so many meds that I had to ask Drs about how the heck I was going to do that after surgery.

Are you having any problems taking your pills? I'm so scared. I know I'll be ok and like you, I'll get through it but dag, I've gotta admit, i'm scared.

I hope you're getting the rest you need. I left you a msg with my phone number in it so if you need to talk, vent, scream or cry, call me. I promise I'll even try not to make you giggle cause that will hurt. ;)

XOXO Renee`