Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where should I have sleeve surgery?

Hey Everyone,

The difference in where you have your surgery

I have been doing a little information gathering in the past few days. I live in the state of Oregon and in the city of Eugene. I have discovered that they do NOT have anyone in my city to do WLSbarf.gif.

I spoke with someone who was going to have to drive to a smaller city than we live in to have her sleeve WLS. Then I was shocked when she said they are doing it as DAY SURGERY and the doctor wants her to go stay in a hotel close to the hospital once they release her from Day Surgery—just in case something goes wrong she can return to the hospital quickly. The doctors have only asked her to say in a hotel for one (1) night then she can come back home—about 60 miles away from where she had the surgery. I was SHOCKED to hear that she is going to receive so little care from the doctor or hospital.beatup.gif

This just reaffirms why I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. I was cared for so differently. I spent part of one day getting all my tests done—which I am sure in the US they do the same thing. I had the opportunity to see the hospital and I also saw how often and how much they cleaned just being there for 3 hours for the tests. I was given paper work to fill out the night before surgery (which they must have you do in Oregon). I met with a doctor the night before (he comes to the Hotel you are staying in) the doctor who explained the surgery and how it is done went into great detail and asked if I had any questions and then spent more time answering my questions.

angel.gif

In the morning, I was assigned my very own nurse who was taking care of me—she got me ready for the surgery. That morning I saw the two surgeons, and the anesthesiologist, who again answered ALL my questions that I forgot to ask the night before. They explain exactly what they were going to do and what I would feel like when I woke up.

They would have NEVER sent me to a hotel to recover. I spent 4 days and nights in the complete fully equipped hospital seeing two doctors 3 times a day. I was given a battery of test before they would consider sending me home. On the 5th day, I was driven to the San Diego Airport and I flew home. heart.gif

This is the kind of care you should EXPECT AND DEMAND if you are having this kind of surgery. You need to be doing your recovery in a HOSPITAL. So the next time someone makes the comment to me about why would I go outside of the US for this kind of surgery this is EXACTLY WHY. When you want the best you do your research and find the best. That is just what I did.gossip.gif

Now I can’t speak for other doctors in the US or other hospitals, only what I learned while doing a bit of research here in Eugene, OR If you are having WLS PLEASE ask the doctors, the hospital and those involved what their care is like, and what they will be providing you during your WLS. dance.gif

YOU have the right to have the best care possible. You NEED to be your own advocate when it comes to your Health Care. NEVER SETTLE for anything less than the best when it comes to your health. cool2.gif

Well... I was going to post something like "usually they do the sleeve surgery in the stomach area". But after reading the entire post that seams like a silly comment

Well... I was going to post something like "usually they do the sleeve surgery in the stomach area". But after reading the entire post that seams like a silly comment

Hi,

You made me smile. Glad to see that you have a great sense of humor! Always keep your great sense of humor!

Hugs,:D :D

Suzanne

I traveled from Wisconsin to Texas for my surgery. I was a cash pay patient and the cost included up to two nights in the hospital. I had surgery at 7 am on a Friday and was discharged Saturday at 5 PM. I could have stayed the second night, but chose to go to my dad's house. I had to stay in the state for two weeks because Dr. Davidson takes a few of the staples out at the one week follow up and the the last few out at the two week check up. There is also a three month check up. (he does labs at that time) All of this is included in the price. He likes to see his patients at 6, 9 and 12 months. Yearly after that. Those are not included. He does labs yearly.

I traveled from Wisconsin to Texas for my surgery. I was a cash pay patient and the cost included up to two nights in the hospital. I had surgery at 7 am on a Friday and was discharged Saturday at 5 PM. I could have stayed the second night, but chose to go to my dad's house. I had to stay in the state for two weeks because Dr. Davidson takes a few of the staples out at the one week follow up and the the last few out at the two week check up. There is also a three month check up. (he does labs at that time) All of this is included in the price. He likes to see his patients at 6, 9 and 12 months. Yearly after that. Those are not included. He does labs yearly.

Hi,

It sounds like you had excellent care and I am so happy for you. All I could compare is what I found out about my own city. Thanks for letting me know. I wish you great success in your weight loss journey.

Hugs,

Suzanne

You too Suzanne!! Good luck and have a great day!! Stacy

Hi,

It sounds like you had excellent care and I am so happy for you. All I could compare is what I found out about my own city. Thanks for letting me know. I wish you great success in your weight loss journey.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I haven't heard of the staples being removed...Is this standard procedure?

Many surgeons use staples with the incisions on lap. surgery. It's not uncommon and not painful at all to have them removed as I had feared it might be.

Oh, and some use stitches, some use glue. I am certain mine uses staples to make surewe come back for the follow up visits so he can make sure we are progressing as we should.To make sure we are doing ok. LoL