Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ July Chat

Hello Maysters,

Haven't posted in awhile. Was banded May 17,2006. Down 24 pounds since surgery. I want in on the Sept challenge. -30 lbs by 9/13. I know we all can do it with our "bands" help. :) . The support here is awesome. Thanks to all of you guys for all the positive things. I know that it helps me alot. Good luck to you all!!

Hi Maysters! Thank you 3Loves for setting this up and keeping it going. OK. I accept the challenge. 20 lbs by September 13th. Horseback riding on the beach, here I come!

Jolyow, Don't be discouraged. You lost a lot of weight at the beginning. I think maybe your body is adjusting to everything. Are you excersising everyday? If your Dr. says you can start real food, I would do it. I too didn'f feel any restriction in the beginning as long as I stayed with the puddings, broth, protien shakes, etc. When I went to real food, I soon found that I had limits I didn't have before (some negative reinforcement from my body as well). What does your Dr. say? All my best for you!

Jolyow I have only lost about 18 lbs since May 3rd (that is when I started my preop diet). But that's okay (says laughingly because I wouldn't have lost this without getting banded). I didn't gain the weight overnight and I am not going to lose it overnight. We are really just now getting out of the healing phase anyway. I go for my first fill next week. But I have a VG band and know it may take a few months to reach optimal restriction.

Don't be discouraged. Just stay focused and time will do the rest.

I would probably up my calories to 1000 - 1200 a day. Sometimes when you drop to a low level of calorie intake it will stall your weightloss.

Myra

Jolyow,

I did the same thing when I started mushy food. I actually started losing again after increasing my calorie intake to between 1200 - 1400 per day. I can get enough Protein in without shakes and solid food sticks wiht me a lot longer.

Good luck and don't lose hope. You'll do better once you have healed and can start having fills.

It was the same with me, but my nutritionist has told me I need to eat more. :) I'm sure once you get onto more solid food you'll notice a dramatic change. Little and often or your metabolism goes into starvation mode and stops burning fat. Since eventually doing as I'm told the weight loss has picked up. :girl_hug:

I'm in on the challenge at least 20lbs off forever by 13th Sept :clap2: :clap2:

Jolyow - go for the solid foods! I started them on Monday and have lost three lbs since then! They really stick with you! I agree that you may not be consuming enough calories. I think that anything below 1000 calories puts your body at risk of going into "starvation mode" and thats not good! Try tuna salads, chicken salads, moist chicken ground beef, well cooked veggies. just, CHEW CHEW CHEW!!! I'm loving being able to eat solid foods again! Best of luck to you!

Also! Try to exercise everyday if you can. I've started doing deep-Water Water aerobics for about 45 minutes every evening, and that has really made the difference. Do you have access to a pool, or do you like bike riding or walking or do you have access to a gym? Best of Luck to you! Don't worry, you will start losing again!

Mvpo - Yes I do and that's all I'm saying! :biggrin1:

Christy - You look great! I can really tell in your face and the loose jeans don't lie!

Oooooh, Christy! You are lookin' REALLY GOOD!!!!!

Good job! Those jeans will be falling off you soon!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Hello everyone, It has been a very long time since I posted. Although I come here daily to find out how the rest of the May bandsters are doing. You guys are all great, and very inspirational. I did have my first fill yesterday, It has been 7 weeks since surgery. Dr said I was doing great and to keep up the good work. He put 2.25 of saline in the band yesterday. So for the next 48 hours I am on Clear Liquids. For those worried about their first fill, I was a little nervous, but it is really painless. Really nothing to worry about. I just wanted to thank all of you, Everyone is doing a great job. I am up for the challenge for September would like to be down another 30 pounds by then. Good luck to everyone, use the tool that will all have now to reach all your goals. Will try to post more often. So I can be accountable for the challenge.

Hi everyone! I'm glad to see everybody doing so well!

Like Missy, I've been lurking a lot but not posting. I'm doing pretty well - down 34 pounds so far. I had restriction right away after the surgery, but I'm a lot less restricted now. I'm not eating more, than I should but I'm taking much bigger bites and not chewing enough before swallowing. My first fill is on 7/5. Methinks that will put an immediate stop to that behavior! In a way, I'm looking forward to going back on liquids so I can take a break from food for a while.

I continue to struggle with the mental aspect of this whole thing. Half of me is saying "way to go, girl" Unfortunately, the other half of me is saying I may have lost some weight, but I'm still the fat girl in the room. That part of me often whispers that one day the band will stop working, or I'll turn into a turtle, or hit a major plateau or something else bad will happen. Then I'll start gaining weight AGAIN. Be disappointed AGAIN. Feel like a failure AGAIN. Pull out the fat clothes that I could never quite bring myself to throw away. Thankfully, I have an excellent shrink who is helping me through this process or else I would've gone bananas long before now.