Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. C. is my brain being affected??

I have been dieting and trying to lose as much as possible before being banded. I am on an all liquid diet that is high in Protein and low in carbs (I am getting about 30g a day) until my surgery on July 10th. I have been noticing some things going on with my mind since I started.

Let me preface by saying I am working quite hard currently to make up for the lack of time put in while I am in Mexico. I have been putting in at least 14 hours a day, and my job is graphics design in front of the computer here at home.

Something I have noticed is that my spelling and typing has diminished greatly. Words I used to know how to spell I have to look up. no joke. I have dictionary.com in my favorites now. And I am speaking of simple words sometimes. I do not know if it is my being overworked, or if it is something going on with my brain because of my diet. Is there something I might be missing in my diet that could be affecting my brain functions? This worries me because, while I hate bad spelling, it could lead to other things. I have also noticed that when I am typing, not only do I misspell words, but I have to retype words because I am hitting the keys in the wrong order.

Any insight is appreciated. I am hoping it is just work related and will go away once my stress is gone, but if diet can affect your brain functions then I want to make sure i am getting the right nutrients to combat this. Now and after I am banded.

Thanks so much!! I appreciate your being here. You have such a positive view point on the band, and seem to really care about making sure that your patients and others here are doing the right thing!! That is awesome!!

I am not so low that I am in ketosis, but I am sure that something is going on. I have been between 30-50g a day for a while now. My carbs come from milk, fruit and veggies. I haven't had any bread in forever, nor have i had any sugar rich food. I don't know how long it would take for those brain issues to develop, but this is just in the last week or so that I have been experiencing this.

Funny: I did the same thing. I was beginning to think that I had a brain tumor. I even had a cat scan... I was having headaches too. I am typing my words backwards, you know getting the (ltetters confuesd.) Of course I have been having 600 calories a day for a couple fo (that one was for real)weeks.... Could be no brain food...... Good luck ....

Hello FunnyDuddies,

hm I just wondering whats your cal intake? Cause I read an article where it is stated that if you eat less than 900-1000cals a day your brain is being affected,it basically goes to stand by mode.Try DMAO its some kind of brain food pill,you can concentrate better and it helps while working.

I sometimes get what you describe and now I know its cause I dont have enough sugar (carbs) so sometimes it helps to drink one glass of some sweet jucie or lemonade.

It might be a combination of factors--stress, low carbs, fatigue, etc...

I would highly suggest you get a quick checkup with your PCP, especially since you're going to Mexico, just to make sure it isn't something wierd that might make complications during surgery more likely.

Good luck,

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I am not so low that I am in ketosis, but I am sure that something is going on. I have been between 30-50g a day for a while now. My carbs come from milk, fruit and veggies. I haven't had any bread in forever, nor have i had any sugar rich food. I don't know how long it would take for those brain issues to develop, but this is just in the last week or so that I have been experiencing this.

Amy, I'm banded 2 years now, but have had the same thing going on the last 2 months. I was talking to my mom about it, and she said that she went through the same thing during a very stressful time, and thought she was just 'getting old'. But when she climbed on top of things after the stressful time was over, she got her 'quickness' back. I was every so glad to hear this!

So, here's to both of us being able to spell again!!

LOL I hate it when I misspell words. And it frustrates me when I switch letters around, erase the word, try again only to find that I have done it again. LOL

Thank you Dr. C. I had an appt with my pcp about a week ago, and mentioned it to him. He said it was stress, but seriously said "I don't know how your diet would effect your thinking" Jeez doc...have you been eating much lately? LOL

I will give him a call again though, just to make sure things are good. Thanks for the help you guys. Some good information here. My caloric intake has been betweek 500 and 1000 cals a day lately. I have been switching it up to optimize my weight loss.

Interesting. I had many changes like this happen to me over the past few years. More than diet, I relate it to my constant use of a computer. I no longer read like I used to. I can't concentrate like I used to, my spelling is off and mathematical skills too. It's very very frustrating. :grouphug:

In the 80's I took a health class in college and our instructor told us that being in "ketosis" (little or no carbs) negatively impacts the brain and can give you leg cramps.