Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am officially REVISED to a SLEEVE!

Hi All!

Got home from 3 days and nights in the hospital this morning after undergoing a band to sleeve revision on Tuesday. I had some pretty adverse reactions to the pain meds...I'd have been better off sticking with Tylenol!! Anyway, I have done well...no nausea while in the hospital and am still sip, sip, sipping. Am going to try my first post surgery Protein Shake for dinner.

A few questions:

1) Did anyone come home with a drain? I had one on my stomach side that was removed this morning. Had a fatty tumor (lypoma) removed Tuesday, too. It ended up being quite an ordeal and I still have a tube in it. I knew it was big, but it ended up the size of a small loaf of bread and was sending fingers down to the major muscles! Wow!

2) When did you guys start drinking shakes?

3) On returning home did you go straight to 60 grams of Protein per day?

4) All suggestions are welcome!

So happy to join the Sleeve Society!

Cheers~

Barb

Congrats!!!! And WELCOME BACK HOME:)

I cant answer ur first question they got mine out at my 3rd day at the hospital

I was allowed to Protein Shakes by the 2nd week post op, but each doctor got his plan.. did u give u some guidlines on ur way home?
On returning home did you go straight to 60 grams of Protein per day?

First week protein intake wasnt a big deal for my doctor, all he cared about that I stay hydrated! at least 1.5- 2 litre of Water a day.. Although he told me that broth of chicken or beef gives u some protein .. Milk is an awesome source of protein too.

My suggestion is that u try to SIP SIP SIP!! hydration is the key of surviving the first few days.. and every week will bring u more surprises with all the swelling going down u will be able to drink easier and more.. BEST OF LUCK !!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! My Dr. and Nutritionist had said to keep the liquids up and to sip, sip, sip! I, also, saw on the post op diet that Protein shakes were suggested in the first 2 weeka out. I drank about 2 oz and my tummy started rumbling so I am back to Water, etc. and sugar free popsicles.

I am very excited. Actually feel quite good. Glad to be home, for sure!

Barb

oh yeah the first celebration is getting home!! and especially to ur own comfort zone:)

Well, try the Protein shake by the start of week 2 again, if it gives u the same feeling then postpone it but if it gave u the same feeling on ur 3rd week then I suggest trying a new one.

What kind of Protein Shake are using?

some people become lactose intolerance after the surgery for quiet sometimes.

For me I handled my Protein Shake sooo well, I add some yogurt and milk then blend blend! Protein protein! LOL

So excited for u!! Keep up this positive spirit :)

Hydration is more important in the beginning than Protein. You will be able to nourish your body soon but keep on sip sip sipping and walk walk walking to help get rid of the gas. I stayed on clear fluids for the first 10 days. I had some Protein drinks that were clear (nectar drinks) and chicken broths. The next 10 days I was on full liquids and did well on that. I was happy to see mushies I must say.

I had a drain for the first couple of days but my doctor has a drain on every patient. Take your time and if your tummy gives you grief about a new food just stay away from that food for a little while and try it again later.

Congratulations on your surgery!!!!

Yay Congrats Barb on your revision!!! I'm glad to see you are doing good :) Get plenty of rest, walk and sip the Water. Wishing you well!

Congrats and so glad you are home! I stuck with liquids for the first ten days, then I started shakes. I found that warm drinks (hot tea and diet hot chocolate) made it easier for me to drink at first. I had my drain removed before I left the hospital. Those drains are very annoying! I hope you have a great recovery. So glad everything went well! You are going to see how awesome the sleeve is in comparison to the band.

First off, let me just say CONGRADULATIONS! My revision has been the best thing I have ever done for myself and you will feel the same way after you get through the first couple days. As for your questions:

1) Did anyone come home with a drain? I had one on my stomach side that was removed this morning. Had a fatty tumor (lypoma) removed Tuesday, too. It ended up being quite an ordeal and I still have a tube in it. I knew it was big, but it ended up the size of a small loaf of bread and was sending fingers down to the major muscles! Wow!

Wow! Sorry, I can't help you with this cause I did not have a drain...

It was several days before I could stomach a Protein shake, for some reason, they all tasted and smelled disgusting to me, just focus on staying hydrated and you will know when you are ready for Protein.< /span>

3) On returning home did you go straight to 60 grams of protein per day?

No, it was several days before I could really get any protein in and I don't think it was any where near 60 grams, don't stress about the protein your first week. After that, you will probably feel good enough to start incorporating it into your diet.

4) All suggestions are welcome!

Just try and stay positive through this first week... I know I had the 'WTF did I do to myself?' moment several times, but everyday will get easier and you will be able to eat a little more. You can do this! Good luck and best wishes! :hug:

Hi All!

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! I am feeling good today! Had a "gusher" where the drain had been, so I called my Dr he said not to worry, just to use a washcloth or something similar to catch the drainage. I have been taking the meds that were prescribed for stomach spasms...decided better safe than sorry also taking an occational pain pill. I really do feel good. Just a little stiff when I get up from sitting lying down. This is one time that I am wishing the time away as I am looking forward to these 2 weeks being behind me. I think it makes it easier having gone through the band surgery. I realize that it does take time and that you have to pamper yourself with plenty of fluids and rest. The best is yet to come!

I am so happy to have found you all! It is great to have a group of like minded folks to share the journey!

Thanks again! Nap time ZZZZzzzzzzz

Barb