Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you thankful for after WLS?

The things I like the best are being able to tie my shoes without having to pull my feet up by my pant leg, the feeling my body has after showering after a good workout, Not having to take meds, not having to take my blood glucose every day. Not having to pay a gardener to mow my lawn, looking down and seeing a penis. Having limitless energy, Fitting in the shower of my RV with room to spare, my Harley handling a lot better and going a lot faster. Looking at the looks on peoples faces when I show them my ID and they ask, " is that really you?" My pcp telling me we can uncheck the Diabetes, Hypertension and Obesity boxes on my medical chart. Buying off the rack clothes that actually fit right, packing for a trip and having extra room because my clothes take up so much less room. Size small underwear. Sexual function and stamina . The list goes on and on. BTW, I am also shocked when someone calls me a small guy or thin. In my head I am always going to be the fat guy.

Hi Kurt,

What a GREAT list of things to be thankful for. Most of us are women that get on here and write these things. I am soooooooooooo impressed with ALL the things you said. I loved it when you said someone call you small and thin.

For a guy it must feel fabulous. Congratulations on your success. Enjoy the Harley.:D

Hugs,

Suzanne

for the first time in my life i feel like i'm in control of my body now, rather than it controlling me.

Hi,

You are no longer living to JUST eat. You now eat healthy to live a good life. This is a real advancement in your way of thinking. Congratulations to you.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I am thankful for;

My wonderful husband coming along on this journey with me (including a trip abroad, a loan, and ultimately changing something which wasn't an issue in his mind)

My brilliant mum, who loaned me the money, and supported me 100% despite crying when I told her what I wanted to do, because she was sad that I had to go to such extremes to feel happy in my own body.

Being able to throw out 4 larger sizes of clothes, and now being officially the UK "average"

Being told by my husband that I should wear A: Nicer underwear, and B: More fitted outer clothes, because I should show off the body that I have, and my curves, and feel good about what I have achieved

Buying designer brands of clothing (Even if they are still L and XL)

My 7 year old hugging me, and being able to reach all the way around

Being able to wear a swimsuit in public without blushing

Going on fairground rides with a weight limit, and not having to walk away after queing for ages!

Being invited on to the work's dragon boat racing team, and not being panic stricken that I'll sink the boat.

Sitting in the "Sports" seats of our new car without them pinching the sides of my bum

lying in the bath and having just my knee caps stick out of the Water instead of my belly

Having my in-laws (Who don't know about my surgery, but have HATED my weight problems for the last 12 years) sit me down, and congratulate me on my weight loss, saying that they understand how difficult it is, and really respect me for the change I am making

Having people I went to school with post on Facebook that I'm looking good these days

Having the energy and confidence to play hide and seek with my children, and nimbly climbing into play equipment without the fear of it collapsing, or of me getting stuck.

Being able to shave my bikini line without getting breathless!

Being able to go clothes shopping with friends, and being able to shop in the same section as them!

Being told that at work that I no longer appear to have low confidence or assertiveness issues

Being overweight and no longer obese

For reducing my chances of type 2 diabetes from over 80% to normal risk levels

In fact, now I think about it I am thankful for every day of the new me! :D

I am thankful for;

My wonderful husband coming along on this journey with me (including a trip abroad, a loan, and ultimately changing something which wasn't an issue in his mind)

My brilliant mum, who loaned me the money, and supported me 100% despite crying when I told her what I wanted to do, because she was sad that I had to go to such extremes to feel happy in my own body.

Being able to throw out 4 larger sizes of clothes, and now being officially the UK "average"

Being told by my husband that I should wear A: Nicer underwear, and B: More fitted outer clothes, because I should show off the body that I have, and my curves, and feel good about what I have achieved

Buying designer brands of clothing (Even if they are still L and XL)

My 7 year old hugging me, and being able to reach all the way around

Being able to wear a swimsuit in public without blushing

Going on fairground rides with a weight limit, and not having to walk away after queing for ages!

Being invited on to the work's dragon boat racing team, and not being panic stricken that I'll sink the boat.

Sitting in the "Sports" seats of our new car without them pinching the sides of my bum

lying in the bath and having just my knee caps stick out of the Water instead of my belly

Having my in-laws (Who don't know about my surgery, but have HATED my weight problems for the last 12 years) sit me down, and congratulate me on my weight loss, saying that they understand how difficult it is, and really respect me for the change I am making

Having people I went to school with post on Facebook that I'm looking good these days

Having the energy and confidence to play hide and seek with my children, and nimbly climbing into play equipment without the fear of it collapsing, or of me getting stuck.

Being able to shave my bikini line without getting breathless!

Being able to go clothes shopping with friends, and being able to shop in the same section as them!

Being told that at work that I no longer appear to have low confidence or assertiveness issues

Being overweight and no longer obese

For reducing my chances of type 2 diabetes from over 80% to normal risk levels

In fact, now I think about it I am thankful for every day of the new me! :D

Hi,

I LOVED EVERYTHING you are thankful, and I read each and everyone of them, and smiled all the way through my reading of them. YOU are really doing an excellent job and I am so very proud of you.:rolleyes:

I can tell from the way you write that you are not from the US and it is delightful to read how you write. It will just keep getting better each and every month until you reach your goal. :D

We are coming to Europe in Sept 2011 and we start out in London. :heart: Where do you live? It would be fun to meet you if we are going to be any place close to where you live. I would love to stay in touch with you. I wrote this because I wanted to share how it has changed my life, but I can tell you it has made me feel GREAT reading everyone else's reasons why they are thankful too. You had sooooooooo many GREAT things to say.

Congratulations on your success you look great!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Hugs,

Suzanne

I'm thankful for the opportunity to finally be able to have control over food, rather than food controlling me.

I'm thankful for being allowed an opportunity to concentrate on things more important than guilt, weight and health.......I can now concentrate more on God, Family and Life!!!! (This was something that just snuck up on me and it's FABULOUS!!!!!) I wasn't aware of how obsessed I was about the other things before!!!

I'm thankful for my husband who has supported me 100% and loves me no matter what I look like, and who has even started his own self imposed weight loss because he wants to feel as good as I do!

I'm thankful for my WLS because not only is my husband making good changes for himself, but my father in law is striving harder to eat right as well and has lost 8 lbs and hoping to get off of his diabetic meds eventually.

I never thought that my decision would have such a positive effect on the people around me. Again, this was a side effect I never even dreamed of before surgery that in the aftermath is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

I thank God every day for this gift!!!!!

I'm thankful for the opportunity to finally be able to have control over food, rather than food controlling me.

I'm thankful for being allowed an opportunity to concentrate on things more important than guilt, weight and health.......I can now concentrate more on God, Family and Life!!!! (This was something that just snuck up on me and it's FABULOUS!!!!!) I wasn't aware of how obsessed I was about the other things before!!!

I'm thankful for my husband who has supported me 100% and loves me no matter what I look like, and who has even started his own self imposed weight loss because he wants to feel as good as I do!

I'm thankful for my WLS because not only is my husband making good changes for himself, but my father in law is striving harder to eat right as well and has lost 8 lbs and hoping to get off of his diabetic meds eventually.

I never thought that my decision would have such a positive effect on the people around me. Again, this was a side effect I never even dreamed of before surgery that in the aftermath is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

I thank God every day for this gift!!!!!

Hi,

What great things to be thankful for.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: And to have changed the people's lives around you because they saw what you are doing is just FANTASTIC!

My husband lost 25 pounds because he started eating what I was eating, :P however he ate more than I did. We share meal when we go out an eat, because we know that neither on of us NEED all the food they give you.

You really are heading in the right direction and you are going to be very successful. Just think if you would have never done this you would still be spinning wheels.

Congratulations to you on your success. :cheer2: :cheer2: NEVER give up on yourself ever again. You now control food instead of the food controlling you.

Hugs,

Suzanne

That when I just ate dinner and still want to eat but my sleeve wont! I love it! This is the best thing I ever did

Hi,

Amen sister to that thought! Those are the things that I am so used to now that I don't even think about them anymore. It is like someone sitting on my shoulder and saying "hey enough; you are full now." It is easy to stop eating when you know you are full, you have had enough food and you can do this for the rest of your life.:rolleyes:

Congratulations on learning this! It took ALL of us to have WLS before we could learn this. That is the beauty of it.:P :P :P

Have great day tomorrow.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I am thankful so far t(hree wks almost after surgery) that I can easily Reach n wipe my butt :0/ well, it's the truth.

Hi, Everyone

I hear so many common threads here. Most of all it is about our health and feeling good again. Have more energy, loving where we are in life now. I smiled when one of you said you could tie your shoes again--I hear you on that one. Other things I hear are that we are in control of food instead of food controlling us.

Welcome to my world. I am so lucky to be in this place and have so many of you in the very same place with me. We are the survivors!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL of you.

Hugs,

Suzanne