Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice after 6 months

I had my surgery 6 months ago and I have lost a total of 63 pounds (7 lbs pre op), my weight loss is slow but consistent. I started at 274 pounds and now I’m 212. I am seldom hungry and eat around 850 calories a day of mostly healthy foods, my carbs are about 65 grams or less. So as far my eating I think I’m doing good. What I think I am doing wrong is I drink to much coffee, not enough Water and I just started exercising. I’m worried now that I’m 6 months out that I will stop losing all together. I’m wondering how peoples weight loss was after 6 months. Did it slow down, stop or hopefully some started losing faster? I’ve read in a post that many seem they are close to goal while I still have around 60 pounds to go.

Thank you, Janine

Hey Janine -- I'm 8 mos. out today -- :) My weight loss has slowed down, but not drastically -- instead of 15-12 lbs a month, I lose about 8 - 10 lbs a month. Not horrible. I do exercise (about 3 hours worth a week) and I drink 96 oz. of Water a day. I find when I don't drink, I don't lose as much. As far as food, I'm still keeping my carbs below 30 (some days I might get to 40) and I eat around 800 cal. a day. And I'll keep doing that until I get to goal and then modify slowly from there. Hope that helps!

As the fat melts away, its REALLY nice to have some muscles there waiting for you underneath! Exercise, it is one of the traits of those that keep the weight off best....

I just want to say thank you, you are all right about the exercise even my kids keep telling me. Its time to get my butt moving, for real this time: ) Janine

I'm 6months out and I have stopped losing for the last 3 weeks. No gain, but at that dreaded plateau and it is keeping me from my 1st mile stone of 100 pounds. I have not really exercised either and I was at 362 before surgery. My Fluid in take has been off, but I'm now really watching it and my Protein.

I start my exercise next monday, althought I have been in herab since may of last year it has just been strengthening, now I will walk with out a walker and do some lite aerobics.

All in all I think you doing wonderful I agree that exercise is the key. Good luck.

I just want to say thank you, you are all right about the exercise even my kids keep telling me. Its time to get my butt moving, for real this time: ) Janine

Hello! First off, congrats on the weight loss! I can't wait to be there myself :). I just wanted to say, the best way to exercise is to find something you enjoy doing! I noticed you said that you have kids... do you have a wii? If you do, I *highly* recommend wii fit. If you don't want to pay for it, then I highly recommend this one game, that can be used with or without the board. It is actually the Wii Fit Nickelodeon for kids game... but it is really fun! My mom (she is 41, but don't tell her I blabbed) even has fun with it.

I know I still have all my weight to lose, but one thing I am good at is figuring out how to exercise without hitting the gym ;) So, at least to start off with I would find something that doesn't feel like "exercise" to you and then gradually start in with real exercise time focusing on cardio and weights.. cause if you try to go straight into an exercise program without guidance first... you won't keep it up. I found that after a little while I actually started to enjoy how I felt after my workouts. If you had told me that at the beginning I would have laughed at you... in fact I did laugh when the guide told me that but he ended up being right rolleyes.gif.

Good luck!

I take dance classes.The time flies by and I just LOVE it. I have made friends with a bunch of gals, and we have a blast! My new class, Tango is a real challenge... I do like it though, and can see doing it into the future, when I am even older...(Im 57 now). Tai Chi(spelling?) is a good one for growing old with too...

I had my surgery 6 months ago and I have lost a total of 63 pounds (7 lbs pre op), my weight loss is slow but consistent. I started at 274 pounds and now I’m 212. I am seldom hungry and eat around 850 calories a day of mostly healthy foods, my carbs are about 65 grams or less. So as far my eating I think I’m doing good. What I think I am doing wrong is I drink to much coffee, not enough Water and I just started exercising. I’m worried now that I’m 6 months out that I will stop losing all together. I’m wondering how peoples weight loss was after 6 months. Did it slow down, stop or hopefully some started losing faster? I’ve read in a post that many seem they are close to goal while I still have around 60 pounds to go.

Thank you, Janine

Hiya Janine,

congrats on your excellent weight loss to date! You are doing a great job and so far so good. Try not to compare yourself with others as it is a complete head blow. I used to do it all the time and it drove me crazy!

You have rec'd some good advise already and I can only echo that.

I am a REAL slow loser and I tick all the boxes 95% of the time (the remaining 5% I am just being human!)

I am 10mths out now and since christmas I have lost just 14lb but I am still losing and as along as it is slow but sure I will be happy; over the last mth or so it has really got me down, but I have shifted my mindset and my focus is to remain positive and keep doing what I am doing. I just have to have confidence in my self and my sleeve. Patience needs to be my new friend...lol

I exercise a lot now... I started exercising at 8weeks post op because I used to love the feeling and I wanted to get that part back into my life. I have achieved that now! I vary my exercise from walking to boxing and different things inbetween. Although I have a fair amount of weight left to go, I can feel the muscle underneath the fat now and that is a great NSV!! I am starting to feel strong again, if that makes sense.

It sounds to me that you are doing everything right with your food intake; I agree with the Water though... try to drink as much as you can; aim for about 64oz and anything more is a bonus! As far as exercise goes, do what you LIKE and what is comfortable with your body...once you get a taste for it and you start to see the benefits - especially in the way your clothes fit - you can up it and change it to suit your needs.

Good luck and let us know how you get on... =]

Coops I agree, I really don't mind seeing the scale move slowly down. It is hard sometimes feeling like everyone is losing so fast while I am losing 6 to 8 pounds a months. One good thing I learned in weight watchers is if you have a lot of weight to lose and you lose it slow and consistent you are better able to keep your good habits. Which makes sense. And you are right we just have to stay postive. At least with the sleeve I know we all will make it to goal as long as we follow our guidelines. Good luck: )

Emily- you made me smile saying your mom even has fun with the wii, I'm 2 years older than your mom. I do have the wii and the board but my system broke a few months ago. Right when I needed it most.

For mother's day I promised my kids we will go for a walk around this lake they always want me to go to. I figure it would be a good day to start a healthy habit. By the way Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's: )