Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved on April 8th and had complications

As I was a self pay on this surgery, I am not sure what my insurance will cover out of all of this complication expense. I am worried, but am happy to be alive and getting better.

I do understand the word of mouth on the doctors also, so if anyone wants a personal message with me, please feel free.

I am so glad you are getting things taken care of close to home now, so important and it all could have turned out so much worse - thankful for a competent doctor here who did not turn his back when someone needed him after another surgeon performed the initial surgery.

I am concerned that you don't mention who the Dr is - I know there are some on here who tout their Mexico Surgeons as never having a leak or complication - no one is perfect and unfortunately we have to rely on word of mouth about foreign surgeons and hospitals to know their good and bad.

I am actually an International Claims Examiner for BCBS and it seems very common for hospitals to demand payment before allowing you to leave (and many times a deposit before they treat you at all, even emergency) - which is usually doable for a few hundred dollars but I have seen claims upwards of $200,000 - how very scary that would be! Not just Mexico but Europe, Canada, Asia, everywhere.

Had my tests today and I think they turned out good. I haven't heard from the doc yet, but the tech said he couldn't see anymore leak. Yay !!!!!!! Now all I have to do is wait on the doc to let me know.:lol:

YAY YAY Jen ! ! ! I'm so elated for you. Let me know what's going on. I'll be at a ball game tonight, but message me on FB and let me know.

Wow, you are just the strongest person! I'm so glad you are getting good care now and it sounds like things are going in the right direction.

All of my tests turned out good. There is no more leaking. I still have to remain on TPN another week to make sure I continue to heal. I also asked my doc to show me what he felt went wrong with my surgery. So he did a diagram for me. After the staples and the sutures for my sleeve were put in place they had to cauterize the arteries that lined the stomach just below the suture line. He said while doing so it got too hot and the heat caused an ulcer. So it wasn't an ulcer I already had but one created during surgery. He also said when my surgeon went back in to fix it, it would have probably been fine if I would have stayed off of liquids longer. Enough for it to have healed more.

So when I came back to the states and started doing the liquids, it started to leak.

All in all, I feel like I have some closure on the true "Ulcer" word.

My surgeon wasn't actually lying, but not actually telling the truth. Except when he said that the cancer meds I take usually cause ulcers. I told him I discontinued my HR med to prepare for my surgery. So I had already been off for a bit.

Anyhow, all of this has been one heck of and adventure I wouldn't wish on anyone else.

Good note is, I am on my way to recovery. Yay !!!!!

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Wow, you are just the strongest person! I'm so glad you are getting good care now and it sounds like things are going in the right direction.

Actually I'd like to know who the surgeon is, just in case others are considering going there, myself included. I think it would help more in our continual research to find the best surgeon we can afford. just my thoughts. Feeling any better today?

I am so glad to hear your leak is healed and that there was an ulcer - just wish he had been more straightforward with you.

I am feeling much better. Thank you for asking.

I'm just ready to get this pic line and tube out so I can start being somewhat normal again. lol

Actually I'd like to know who the surgeon is, just in case others are considering going there, myself included. I think it would help more in our continual research to find the best surgeon we can afford. just my thoughts. Feeling any better today?

Jen, I just found this post.

Although u emailed me, i had no idea how bad the situation was. Or of your previous health trouble. You are so strong and brave, I dont know what i would have done in your situation apart from crumble!

I am soooo sorry it had to happen to you, i bet you feel that you are being tested just now. Although ive not had serious health problems, ive been tested in other areas: lost my parents at young age, horrific upbringing with adoptive auntie etc. so i can relate to how you must be feeling. This is just something else here to test what an amazing person you must be. You have proved it!! The only way is up.

Hugs, here if you need me.

xxx

I didn't want to believe the situation was as bad as it was.

Trying to figure out what went wrong was the hardest part. No one wants to be the 1% that leaks. I know my surgeon didn't want to believe there was a leak either. But it is what it is. I am grateful your surgery came out good and I will be right there with you soon.

God only gives us what we can handle and I am handling it.

Each day gets better.

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Cheers to the "only way is up"

By losing your parents and being brought up horrificly, I know you can relate. That is tough, if not tougher. Hugs to you too !!

Jen, I just found this post.

Although u emailed me, i had no idea how bad the situation was. Or of your previous health trouble. You are so strong and brave, I dont know what i would have done in your situation apart from crumble!

I am soooo sorry it had to happen to you, i bet you feel that you are being tested just now. Although ive not had serious health problems, ive been tested in other areas: lost my parents at young age, horrific upbringing with adoptive auntie etc. so i can relate to how you must be feeling. This is just something else here to test what an amazing person you must be. You have proved it!! The only way is up.

Hugs, here if you need me.

xxx

Hi Jen, well I just read this entire thread, and not something I do normally. I'm so very glad to hear you are doing much better than you were a few weeks ago!! I pray you continue to get healthier and this scare can be behind you soon. I also pray that someday you can still come to truly love your sleeve, regardless of your setbacks.

You surely are a very strong lady!! Big hugs to you!!