Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was curious about Dumping Syndrom. How long until we dont have to worry about this? I am 7 weeks out and went to McDonalds. I got a strawberry banana smoothie because I thought it would be a good choice. Well ab an hour later my stomach started its thing and off to the restroom I went. I was so mad!! I looked it up and those things have TONS of surgar in them!! My stomach couldnt handle it at all. So what do yall thing. Will there be a time when we can have sugary stuff again and not have to worry about having any EPISODES I call them??

Early out, sugar really did me dirty. I had eaten a Protein Bar that had too much in it (and I had gotten this one at my surgeon's office!) and my belly said no way, girlie.

I tried again at about 3 months out and I could handle sugar but it makes me feel weird. Hard to describe the feeling but it is almost enough to make me completely avoid it. Almost. I used to have a piece of dark chocolate every day to satisfy the head hunger (50 calories) but in the last week, I feel like I have eaten a pound of it after the first bite. Good timing, too, with all these easter baskets around!

I was curious about Dumping Syndrom. How long until we dont have to worry about this? I am 7 weeks out and went to McDonalds. I got a strawberry banana smoothie because I thought it would be a good choice. Well ab an hour later my stomach started its thing and off to the restroom I went. I was so mad!! I looked it up and those things have TONS of surgar in them!! My stomach couldnt handle it at all. So what do yall thing. Will there be a time when we can have sugary stuff again and not have to worry about having any EPISODES I call them??

And my place tells me they've never had anyone sleeved who experienced dumping. (They have done 160+ at this time.) So this is interesting.

So can I be blunt? Did it come back up or out really fast? And was it a full Monty dump complete with the shakes and sweats? Or sort of a mini "stop putting that in me" dump?

Mine came out the other end, with shakes, sweating, weakness and nausea. This has happened to me many times before surgery and has even happened to my husband and son! Just didn't know what caused it then...

... it could have been the milk as well as the sugar. To the point...Why is it again that you want to be able to eat all the crap that you did before surgery? This is a great opportunity to use the sick feeling to gain some avoidance of such behavior. I can eat sugar, and I even do every so often, about a teaspoon, and along with Protein so I don't get a blood sugar spike right after. Indulging in those Mcdonalds type habits on a regular basis is part of how I got fatter and fatter in the first place.

It could also be lactose intolerance with the milk in the smoothie. I can't stand artificial sweeteners so I have been eating full sugar foods from day one and have had nothing resembling 'dumping' syndrome, but I was lactose intolerant before surgery and so that's what I get when I drink a smoothie or chocolate milk, etc.

I guess if a person has not eaten ANY sugar since the day of surgery and then eats a bunch of it, like in that smoothie, it might have the 'dumping' effect on them. That's why I'm glad I always included real sugar daily from the beginning, since there will always be an occasion to eat it. Like birthday parties, weddings, etc. and it might pop up somewhere unexpectedly like a smoothie! Sorry this happened to you.sad.gif

Yup....you don't dump with the sleeve. Why do you care when you can start having sugary stuff again? Isn't that why you had the sleeve...to help you avoid that stuff and be healthy?

I have found that if I eat something with too much FAT in it I will be in the bathroom A LOT and painful cramping and such the next day but nothing because of sugar! So far the only thing that does it for me is regular ice cream (and it's not the milk because I drink milk EVERYday!)

I had that reaction (dumping syndrome) before my sleeve if I drank milk or ate ice cream. I can tolerate cheese, cottage cheese and yougurt in small amounts (14 - 1/2 cup). I imagine if I did milk or ice cream, I would get full blown dumping syndrome. Good reason not to eat that stuff.

Dumping can happen even with people that do NOT have any type of bariatric surgery. It is a very slim chance that it was dumping around 5% of sleeve patients dump. I can tell you that I never experienced dumping, but what I did experience was lactose intolerance. Some surgeons have tied dumping to transit times, other say that it's because we avoid sugar and high fat content for many weeks to months, and then we dump that crap into our bodies, our bodies react negatively to it. My body did the same thing with fried foods pre-op. I literally rarely (maybe once or twice a year) would eat a chicken fried steak, or chicken fried chicken and every time I did it, I'd puke and have to run to the bathroom within 20-30 minutes because it's be running out of me. A lot of the times, a lot of sleeve patients react negatively to high milk fat products like buttercream icing on that tiny cupcake, or that 1/2 cup of regular ice cream, but they have zero issue with Cookies, yogurt, or sorbet (which is all loaded with sugar).

The only safe thing at McDonald's the unsweet tea (at least early out).

Thanks to all with your help and information. I really appreciate the different views and experiences yall have had. To the two on here that questioned my choice today..... Fast food and sugary stuff was never MY issue. So that is one thing I dont have to worry about in my VSG journey. I just dont want to be surprised by something that was supposed to be a healthier choice but ended up not being at all, for me.

Well I must be in that 5% of sleevers that dump . Because my body cannot tolerate sugar at all. I am positive it is dumping, due to the symptoms. Sweats, dizzyness, diarrhea, nausea and horrid cramping. So beware....dumping can occur. Just depends on the individual person.

When I tried Icecream I dont think my body liked it at all!! I got such a tummy ache and didnt feel well... I think too I hadnt had anything like that in so long that when that was the first naughty thing I had it hit me hard... I have had a few bites of icecream since with no issue...

I have to agree with Michelle. It DOES happen. I have had it since my surgery last year whenever I have certain things that are high in sugar. I don't mean like a BOWL of ice cream, I mean like two tiny bites and I feel as though my body goes into shock. I shake, go pale, sweat, feel super hot and sick to my stomach, my head is super foggy so I don't always make sense, terrible diarrhea. That is a short list compared to all of the symptoms, the symptoms hit you like a truck all at once and there is just no mistaking it for anything else.

It isn't dairy related (for me anyway), although ice cream for me is a sure fire way to feel it. I also tried a very tiny bite of "apple butter bar" in the fall which I later learned has TONS of sugar in addition to apple butter which I know has lots of sugar as well. This was the first time I experienced these symptoms and had no idea why it had happened, the next day I had another bite of that bar and the same thing happened to me.

Over the year it's happened maybe 5 times and each time I can remember clearly... it's no fun at all!