Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why don't people support me

Hi,

I had weight loss surgery when I was 63 and I am now 65 :rolleyes: . I have been sleeved of 2 1/2 years. I lost 105 pounds on my journey. So I do know a little about what I am going to say. I have done what you want to do or have already done.

So I have been thinking about this. WHY do so many of our friends not say Yay! or I am happy for you? :angry: :angry: :angry:

1. They know NOTHING about weight loss surgery let alone when we say we are have the "sleeve" done?:rolleyes:

2. They have not heard of any positive things about WLS.

3. They are scared for us because we are having some kind of surgery they no nothing about.:unsure:

4. They think we are having gastric bypass (we know it isn't but they don't) and they have heard nothing but bad thing when it comes to this surgery. Dumping, malnutrition, people gaining weight back again, because they have stretched out their pouch.

5. The are sure we are going to die during the surgery.:thumbs_down:

6. They have never had a weight problem in their life.:censored:

7. They view this as the easy way out--it take more courage to have this surgery than to do nothing at all, but they beleive it is the easy way out.

8. How will you stop losing weight.

9. Is this healthy--they are sure it isn't.:hurt:

10. It cost too much money and you will never keep the weight off and WHY if you are over 60 would you want to do this to yourself?

So those are the top ten reason I can think of that the people are thinking all these things. I think if we are willing to talk more about it to them "AFTER" we have had the surgery and explain things to them--I say educate the uneducated friends that we have, they may be more willing to listen. There are so many people that just can't image that we would have surgery to lose weight, so they really have to see with their own eyes that you are OK and healthy and this is working for you. I know you want their support, but honestly sometimes it is just not going to happen.

This isn't something that we just woke up one morning and said hey I think I will have someone remove 80% of my stomach and then I will solve all my weight issues. We thought about this for a long time, we did some research, we checked with other people and joined web sites to educated ourselves.

So, don't let the uneducated people in your life stop you from doing what you know is right for you.

If you had a tooth ache you would go see a dentist to get it fixed--and they would think that is the right thing to do. We have an addiction to food and an emotional connection to food. What is wrong with going and getting the help we need to stop our addiction. This is our tool that we are going to use to accomplish the weight loss with.

It isn't a magical cure by any means. It takes time, work and effort on our part to become successful. A little support along the way also helps a heap!

Finding the right doctor to trust our life with and one who is highly skilled in the field of WLS is the next step. For me that was Dr. Aceves, and I can't say enough kind words about him and his skills and he GREAT staff and wonderful hospital.

I knew at 63 if I was going to take this giant step, it had to be with someone that I trusted and that had done a lot of these with no complications and was a skilled surgeon.

So when the next person you talk to rolls their eyes around because you are over 60 and going to have weight loss surgery, please just have some patients with them. The are very UNEDUCATED. We will work at educating them and letting them know that this really isn't about them at all. It is ALL about you and you have earned and deserved the right to have this surgery.

You will be making a lifestyle change and not be on a diet any more. You are going to put yourself first, for the first time in a long time. I want you to feel good about what you are doing because it is going to be a life changing event that is going to be so fabulous. Someone is going to call your "skinny" for the first time and you are going to smile and say "yes" I did it.

I am here every step of the way to assist, you and help you. I will answer your million questions you may have and help you deal with the emotions ;) that you are feeling. I want you to know that you are doing the right thing by wanting to become healthy and add years to your life.

Hugs to you and you go for what you want in life. If not now then WHEN????

Suzanne

Thank you for this post! It its the perfect way to start my day! I am very open and want to tell everyone what I am going to do, but I know I can't educate everyone... I go to the gym full of women who have never been over weight o or out of shape and they thing out should just fall off by exercising... I did lose 20 pounds since january but ghats only an average of 5 per monthand I can gain more than 5 in a weekend :( I am ready for my sleeve so I can show people how healthy I am going to get.

Thank you for this post! It its the perfect way to start my day! I am very open and want to tell everyone what I am going to do, but I know I can't educate everyone... I go to the gym full of women who have never been over weight o or out of shape and they thing out should just fall off by exercising... I did lose 20 pounds since January but ghats only an average of 5 per monthand I can gain more than 5 in a weekend :( I am ready for my sleeve so I can show people how healthy I am going to get.

Hi Ashley,

I am excited for you. This is going to be a life changing event in your life. You will never have one regret. You are right you can not educate everyone, but if people see you are dropping the pounds, they will ask you "how" are you doing this. This is your opportunity to start educating them. Some will listen, some will be turned off by your choice. But, those who are turned off at first sometimes come around. The will do what I call the Yo Yo--lose the weight regain the weight. After a little while they will start asking you AGAIN how did you lose the weight? So it take patients to educate our family and friends. But, I feel it is my opportunity to always be willing to tell people what I have done. You are going to be really healthy.

Congratulations to your for taking control over your weight and not letting it control you.

Hugs,:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That was beautiful - thank you!!!

I don't think 60 is too old for the surgery - what a nice way to start the next chapter of your life!!

Congrats and thanks for the post-

Lara

I don't think 60 is too old for the surgery - what a nice way to start the next chapter of your life!!

Lara

Hi,

Oh you are sooooo right about this. The last part of my life is some much better than the middle of my life was. I fell in love with a wonderful man, we lived together for 5 year (he loved me when I was fat) and he loves me just as much or more now. We got married a year ago. I am retired and I love life.

I want others to know that this is possible for them too! If you want something bad enough you should NEVER give up until you get it.

Hugs.:P :P

Not only a great next chapter, but a healthier one with more mobility, less meds and better quality of life!!! Why NOT at 60 I would ask...

Lara

I figured old age is not for sissies, and I needed to get down to fighting weight so I could make the best of my later years... I want to keep the adventures up! This in itself has been an adventure!

I figured old age is not for sissies, and I needed to get down to fighting weight so I could make the best of my later years... I want to keep the adventures up! This in itself has been an adventure!

Hi,

I loved your comments--and we are not sissies at all. We are bright, intellighent, beautiful inside and out and we have NO fears. Congratulations to you and I wish you great success.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Hi,

I loved your comments--and we are not sissies at all. We are bright, intellighent, beautiful inside and out and we have NO fears. Congratulations to you and I wish you great success.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne!