Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out (Slightly)

HI all,

Have my appt w/ surgeon tomorrow. DH going with me. Have my questions all ready. Hopefully will have surgery late July or early August.

You guys have been great and I have asked some really "stoopid" questions.

My problem is-I have all the info from you all and my hospital (3 months worth of psychologists, nutrionists, exercise guy and group) so I have all the facts.

But... I am a control freak. Never having had surgery since I was 5 the whole anesthesia thing is still freaking me out. Now I had 2 colonoscopies, didn't feel or remember a thing- great drugs! I don't have a fear of needles at all but I am claustrophobic and have apnea (no cpap though-won't use it). When I start reading or hearing about "you can't breath by yourself because they pump you full of air" I get the willies. Usually I am not squeamish at all. The mask idea is not a fun thing for me. But they can lay me out naked to the world I just am getting scared.

As the time approaches I am getting a little more nervous. I know its probably normal. That you all have certainly lived through it.

Do they put you out before taking you into the operating room? If they do then I am freaked I'll be out and they might lose me or take me into the wrong operation (yeah, I know that is by far the stoopidist thing to think). If I am not out before getting into the operating room then I am afraid I will freak so bad my blood pressure will soar and they might stop the operation!

So.. I am completely nuts. I wish wish wish wish they could do it with a local like a c-section. But I know they cannot.

Just venting, just whining, just slightly freaking

Thank you all for listening. :nervous

Diva if your scared of the wrong operation then write on yourself with a black magic marker the surgery that you are having.

I specifically requested my port to be placed on my right side and wrote on my stomach "port right side please" per my surgeons request. ;)

Myra

You will be fine, they gave me my drugs just before going to the OR. Let me tell you my nurses were the best. The anesthesiaologist (sp) is my best freind.....he gives you the good stuff so you won't be able to freak.....you are just goint to feel goooooood. Relax, remember why you are doing this.

Hello Diva,

I had my op 4/24/06 so I still rember it quite well:-) Everything was ok, before they take you to the surgery room they give you some drugs,you are still conscious (spelling?) but its like being a bit drunk and feeling fine. Then you just switch the tables (from bed to table) and before they start doing anything with you they put you out.So I didnt know about any gas mask (although probably there was one) Then they put you into the intensive care (for an hour or two until you wake up)-thats how they do it here in Czech rep. Europe. The only uncomfortable thing was the pressure monitor, because it was pressing my arm so hard.

I woke up with oxygen mask but pulled it off right away, from what the surgeon said they dont give it normally but I guess my oxygen level was low,cause I was told to breathe a lot...lol (I dont have asthma)

Other than that it was ok, I did ask for some painkillers, cause the scar right under the port was hurting a lot, but I was told it normally doesnt hurt,but I had some bigger bleeding on that side so they had to put inside some stitches and some on the top.

Dont worry you will be fine, the surgeons are great and they deal with us (fat people-might occure some complications) all the time.So they are prepared for everything.

Good luck and let us know how it goes:-)

Eva

Not to worry....I never had anything before going to the OR, they walked me in, I got up on the OR table and in less than 5 minutes I was out. They worked so fast that I didn't have time to think about what was going on. I had 3 of them working on me at the same time....one on the arm, one with a mask, and one putting massage pads on my legs. Next thing I remember was the Recovery nurse waking me up, she comes several times just to make sure you are okay, then finally she tries to get you to your feet, I made it first try.

You'll be fine.

Carol

;) OH Diva..I can totally relate. I had never been put under until my surgery on Friday and was very nervous about it. But it was sooo easy.. I had just a little something to relax me before surgery, then was wheeled in and had to transfer myself to the OR table. The anesthesiologist put a little something in my IV and before I knew it I was OUT. Dont remember anything else but waking in recovery.....what a breeze!! So..dont panic...all will go smooth. Also...I have been nearly pain free the whole time other than a little shoulder gas pain for the first three days. Good luck on your road to a new, better life!!:)

it will happen soooooooooooo fast you won't even know they've begun!! You won't have time to panic!!!!

I'm going to be honest here with you but I don't want to scare you with what I'm going to say. I had watched Dateline just one too many times before my procedure. Those reports about people waking up during surgery but not being able to move and feeling everything freaked me out. :) I cried about it. I had deep talks about my concerns with the doctor, the nurse and the anesthesiologist. They all assured me it would be fine, and it was! :party:

I remember entering the operating room (BOY WAS IT COLD! :) ), sliding from the gurney to a narrow bed, laying down and then that was all she wrote. A friend of mine who had gastric told me the last thing I'd remember was the light but I didn't even make it that far! LOL! :party: No light! The next thing I knew the nurses were waking me up.

That stuff they give you works gooooood. :clap2:

You will be fine! ;) It's normal to be nervous. They won't lose you , they tag you with that Bracelet in registration and I agree about writing the procedure on your stomach if you want to be safe. My doctor came to see me right before they wheeled me in so I wasn't worried at all. You'll be fine! You'll be more than fine because you are having these concerns beforehand and you can address them and make sure nothing goes wrong. :hug:

Thank you guys. I have tears in my eyes. What an amazing group to reach out to a stranger like this. I know in my head I'll be fine, my nerves just have to catch up with my head!

I wish it was over with. As much as I am scared I want the date already. I need my life back, its been too long.