Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Months Out and Having Trouble!

Hi everyone! I had my surgery just about ten months ago. I was a "lightweight" to start with- probably around 190-ish on surgery day (after liquids only for a week though). My high pre-surgery weight was around 200lbs, give or take. Since then, I am hovering around 165lbs (varies between 160-170, depending on how "hard" I'm trying). My problem is that I can simply eat way too much. Even the "dense" Proteins that should stop me in my tracks are no match for me. I find that, at best, I eat "normal-sized" meals and it has been a constant struggle to even stay at my current weight.

My diabetes is under more control than it has ever been- even on my worst binge days (and when I say binge, I mean like a pre-surgery binge) my blood glucose levels are never getting to dangerous levels anymore. I also have PCOS and insane insulin resistance. I blame a lot of my problems on the insulin resistance- I'm fairly certain it's the root cause of my binging. I've started low-carbing to try and get back on track. I mean, I know there's a problem when I can take down two slices of NY-style pizza (not those little Dominos sized slices) in one sitting.

I very deeply suspect that my pouch is larger than it should have been- partially due to my height (5'7" and a half) and large frame and partially due to the fact that I don't think the surgeon believed I needed to lose much weight to begin with. (My short-term goal is 159 at night, fully dressed and long term I would like to be around 140 or so.)

Is anyone having this kind of problem? I find it very unfair that the capacity of my stomach is so large, especially since I discovered this months ago. I fear I may have irrevocably stretched my poor stomach back out. I just do not get those "full" signals, not physically nor mentally. I am astonished when I read about those of you that get full from half an egg or a tablespoon of yogurt! I've even been taking Prilosec every morning in case I have acid (yeah, I tried to quit it, but that's when I really went off the rails).

Yes, I understand you get out of this what you put in. I get that I have to work at this and make lifestyle changes. What I'm having trouble with is never feeling full, no matter what I eat. I do not drink before, after or during meals. I never expected to be able to eat cake all day and lose weight, but I did expect to feel more restriction. Will I have to eat low-carb for the rest of my life? If that's honestly the case, why is the surgery even necessary? I could have white-knuckled my way through the rest of my life without shelling out 5k, you know?

Sorry for the long post; I'm just disappointed and need to vent a bit. I'd love to hear from anyone having similar issues and whether someone has tips for overcoming this. I'm wondering if I should convert to a full DS (Does anyone know how much cash I'd be looking at for something like that? I was self-pay because I wasn't "fat" enough according to my insurance company-- yet I'm sure I've saved them the cost of my surgery tenfold by not needing constant hospitalization and a zillion different medications/insulin for diabetes/PCOS/high blood pressure/high cholesterol, etc...)

I am wondering whether you have spoken to your surgeon...as a self-pay patient it is in their best interests to have a happy patient post-surgery. Do you know what size bougie or guide was used? Have you asked for their assistance? That's where I would start before considering the DS. Since the sleeve is the first part of the DS, if your sleeve is too big you will be relying on the malabsorption component alone. It's a complex and drastic surgery to contemplate on someone who is 6 pounds away from their short-term goal and 25 lbs from their long-term goal.

Are you logging your food and counting calories? I don't mean to be harsh, but why would you eat two slices of NY pizza? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I am glad you came here to ask for assistance and I think you should be proud of your weight loss so far. It appears to have been difficult for you and it may continue to be difficult but with determination I know you can succeed.

I am wondering whether you have spoken to your surgeon...as a self-pay patient it is in their best interests to have a happy patient post-surgery. Do you know what size bougie or guide was used? Have you asked for their assistance? That's where I would start before considering the DS. Since the sleeve is the first part of the DS, if your sleeve is too big you will be relying on the malabsorption component alone. It's a complex and drastic surgery to contemplate on someone who is 6 pounds away from their short-term goal and 25 lbs from their long-term goal.

Are you logging your food and counting calories? I don't mean to be harsh, but why would you eat two slices of NY pizza? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I am glad you came here to ask for assistance and I think you should be proud of your weight loss so far. It appears to have been difficult for you and it may continue to be difficult but with determination I know you can succeed.

Hi Foxbins! You know, I have no idea what size bougie was used on me- there was kind of a language barrier since I had my surgery in Mexico... They were not very communicative. The main reason I was considering completing a DS is because of the research I've seen showing how effective it is with the diabetes. I am very proud of my weight loss and the general improvement in my health. I think I'd be a millionaire if I could figure out why anyone would eat two slices of pizza just because they can. :-/ Maybe I'll see if I can get in touch with my surgeon's office and see if I can drag some info out of them about my bougie!

That sounds very frustrating. I know that I get the best restriction when I am eating mostly Protein. I would suggest trying to stick to protein as much as possible. It should give you better restriction, and it should also help with the insulin resistance. Also, definitely talk to your surgeon if you can and find out what size bougie he used.

I agree that communication with you and the surgeon is key. Even if there is a bit of a language barrier. Warm/Hot fluids tend to help with the hunger feelings. Also, you might try doing the 5 Day Pouch test to get you back on track. I know it is used mostly by RNY patients, but it would help rid your body of the carb cravings, etc.

You might find that it all boils down to self control... I know that doesnt sound fair, since you went through the surgery. But...this is just a tool.

Keep your head up, and your mind open

:rolleyes:

Go back to basics. Protein first. Then healthy carbs. Measure what you eat if you still don't have or recognize your full signals. Be sure to continue the Prilosec or other acid meds cuz many report false hunger from acid.

Most healthy eating plans involve some kind of carb restriction. Especially in regards to healthy carbs vs junk. Carbs. If you are eating most of your carbs in veggies, you shouldn't have trouble continuing to lose or maintain. The sleeve helps because if you follow the protein first rule, you aren't gonna be able to fit much else in and you should feel satisfied. As you said in your post, your diabetes has improved. You have lost weight. And you've done all that by not even being as strict as most. Imagine if you were really working your tool? And my opinion is no on a revision. Any of the wls require protein first to be successful. With the DS you would have to be sure to be 100% compliant on taking 10-20 Vitamins a day, no exceptions, or you will have extreme health problems or even die. Even the ones who are taking them as they are suppose to sometimes have Vitamin deficiencies. A lot of them have to have Iron infusions via IV at a hospital on a reg basis. And if you think it's difficult for Sleevers to get all their protein in, the DSers have to get even more protein in

Don't forget the folks who get full from half an egg are probably a few weeks out! Your pouch will definitely stretch out to some extent. I'm 8 months out and I can eat about 1/2 or 2/3 of a Subway sandwich (6"), or an entire bfast sandwich from the likes of McDs or Tim Hortons, to give you an idea. I'll feel comfortably full on half that sandwich, but yes, I can eat a whole one, so I just have to take care to throw out the other half or save it for later. I couldn't eat 2 large pizza slices, but I can eat 1 - I'm 2.5" shorter than you, so height may explain some of the difference. I just don't want you to think that everyone out there is living on an egg a day!

Do you work out at all? I find that as long as I work out, I can definitely eat whatever I want. It will help change your body composition, too - in the end, it's less about weight and more about lean body mass, which is why you see people who are pure flab at 130 lbs, yet there are some hard-bodied women who are 150. And having more muscle will rev up your metabolism. One of the reasons people regain weight so easily after losing a lot is because they lose so much muscle mass, and their metabolism slows down to match. Eventually, it requires an inordinate amount of self-control just to maintain the new weight, forget about losing more! I don't really track my calories, but I definitely have days when I eat 2000 calories - which is what someone my current size should be eating to maintain, anyway! So yes, you can lose/maintain weight if you eat more than a tablespoon of yogurt per meal, but it may involve working out regularly. For all I know, maybe I could maintain my weight without working out - I enjoy exercise and do it for health benefits, so I wouldn't quit it regardless, but it'd be interesting to know.

Last but not least, I think you should get some counselling for binge eating....and if that's not affordable now, there's a great book called "Overcoming Binge Eating." It's written for patients, but all the suggestions in there are the exact same that a psychologist or psychiatrist would be giving you, you just won't have the accountability to others. You may also benefit from some medication to help you with the binging, as I'm sure there's an element of depression, anxiety, or some other mood disorder that's contributing to your binging. It's worth looking into these options!

Don't forget the folks who get full from half an egg are probably a few weeks out! Your pouch will definitely stretch out to some extent. I'm 8 months out and I can eat about 1/2 or 2/3 of a Subway sandwich (6"), or an entire bfast sandwich from the likes of McDs or Tim Hortons, to give you an idea. I'll feel comfortably full on half that sandwich, but yes, I can eat a whole one, so I just have to take care to throw out the other half or save it for later. I couldn't eat 2 large pizza slices, but I can eat 1 - I'm 2.5" shorter than you, so height may explain some of the difference. I just don't want you to think that everyone out there is living on an egg a day!

Do you work out at all? I find that as long as I work out, I can definitely eat whatever I want. It will help change your body composition, too - in the end, it's less about weight and more about lean body mass, which is why you see people who are pure flab at 130 lbs, yet there are some hard-bodied women who are 150. And having more muscle will rev up your metabolism. One of the reasons people regain weight so easily after losing a lot is because they lose so much muscle mass, and their metabolism slows down to match. Eventually, it requires an inordinate amount of self-control just to maintain the new weight, forget about losing more! I don't really track my calories, but I definitely have days when I eat 2000 calories - which is what someone my current size should be eating to maintain, anyway! So yes, you can lose/maintain weight if you eat more than a tablespoon of yogurt per meal, but it may involve working out regularly. For all I know, maybe I could maintain my weight without working out - I enjoy exercise and do it for health benefits, so I wouldn't quit it regardless, but it'd be interesting to know.

Last but not least, I think you should get some counselling for binge eating....and if that's not affordable now, there's a great book called "Overcoming Binge Eating." It's written for patients, but all the suggestions in there are the exact same that a psychologist or psychiatrist would be giving you, you just won't have the accountability to others. You may also benefit from some medication to help you with the binging, as I'm sure there's an element of depression, anxiety, or some other mood disorder that's contributing to your binging. It's worth looking into these options!

BlackberryJuice, I think you're right about stress, etc. contributing to the binge eating, I often discuss these issues with my friend, who is a habitual binge eater, far worse than I am, but without the co-morbities (thankfully). She has clinical anxiety disorders and eating (poorly and in large quanities) is sort of like her drug of choice, which I totally understand. Who doesn't feel better, at least for a little while, while chowing down on cheesecake? When I am calm and stress-free, I can control myself far better than when I am under pressure from work or family problems, naturally. I will look into the book you recommended, thank you. I probably will see a doctor soon because along with everything else, I've been having difficulty sleeping,

I've begun, more or less, the five-day pouch test to try and detox these carbs from my system. I have not been good about getting excersize lately, which I can easily blame on my utter lack of energy. I'm trying to break the cycle because I know for a fact that excersize makes me feel wonderful, once I get off my butt and do it. I was once an avid cyclist and was in better physical shape in my teens (at 220lbs) than I am now.