Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DR OZ FINALLY approached weight loss surgery.

Well he did it, but he talked only about lap band :( I went to his web site and left a comment about he the fact he really owes it to the public to review the pros and cons off ALL WL surgeries! I feel his show today did a dis service to public.

You can watch the clips on his website if you missed it. The interesting thing was that the experts said lapband only shows a 17-20% rate of weight loss long term (2 years + out). Why is that successful? I agree he should expose all weight loss surgeries, especially the sleeve.

Disappointed in Dr. Oz especially since so many viewers consider his word the final advice. Obviously his assistants did not do thourogh research with options.

Good news - The Dr's talked about Vertical Sleeve Gasterectomy back in Nov 8, 2010. Follow link to watch show which has a disclaimer since is can be graphic (not like YouTube though). http://www.thedoctor...re&init_id=2870

Here is an article about SPIDER weight loss surgery.

On an episode of the TV show The Doctor’s, they had as their guest Dr. Brain B. Quebbemann, a bariatric surgeon explaining a new surgery called the Spider System. This new weight loss procedure reduces the size of a patient’s stomach.Conventional laparoscopic techniques and equipment, which have been used in the past requires up to five separate incisions in a patient’s abdomen. With Doctors_thumb.jpgthe Spider technique only one incision in the belly button is necessary.

Doctor Quebbemann surgical director, of a program called N.E.W. in Newport Beach California, was the first surgeon to perform the vertical sleeve gastrectomy, Spider technique.

The Spider System surgery is unlike any other weight loss surgery to date. The instruments used during the procedure are uniquely flexible. The Spider instrument rotates 360 degrees allowing the surgeon to perform the surgery at angles much like those performed during the traditional laparoscopic surgery, with more access and dexterity.

The new weight loss Spider System is catching on quickly, with only one incision and a small amount of down time, doctors are starting to recommend the surgery to their obese patient’s as an alternative, to other weight loss procedures.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was happy he talked about WLS... but I think it SUCKED that it ONLY talked about Lapband.

I feel like the sleeve is HARDLY ever mentioned.... and people NEVER get to hear ALL sides of WLS.

However, I do think they did a good job at staying positive about going the WLS route.

I kept hearing ITS A TOOL! IT needs to be worked. Rather than what I expected... bashing people who decide to go through WLS

Yeah I watched that show too and was hoping to hear about the sleeve on TV and nope just the band. It's interesting that many surgeons are now choosing to NOT perfom the band anymore on theor patients and yet that was the focus of the segment on weight loss surgery. :(

I think the reason the band was focused on is because they lowered the BMI to enable smaller people to get the procedure. So many people see it as "less invasive" because that is how it's described and advertised. They aren't on these boards seeing how many problems and revisions that we see. I don't understand why this info isn't coming out in studies anywhere. I have relatives that suggested I do it rather than the sleeve due to it's "safety".