Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so tired of everyone at work telling me not to do it!

Ah I'm so tired of everyone at work telling me not to get the vsg surgery! No I'm not too young,I'm not making a mistakke and no its not your life to decide if I should get this surgery or not no matter how stupid they think it is. No one understands here that diet and exercise alone doesn't work for me wls is not just my first option I've tried everything sooo if I wanted everyone at work to have a input in what I should do then I would have asked =) just had to vent a little bit. Anyone else going through this?

Some people tend to talk before they think.

Now that you have told everyone, office feels they can discuss your pro/cons of decision. It is your decision, not theirs. You sound like you have already made up your mind, so now when everyone is giving you unsolicted "advice" politely say thank you for sharing and do not discuss anymore. If you discuss youa re leaving room for them to debate thier opinion. No ones opinion matters at the office, right? Furthermore, a new topic will come up and your WLS news will be long forgotten. Hugs to you. Be confident in your choices and others opinions will no longer matter.

Ah I'm so tired of everyone at work telling me not to get the vsg surgery! No I'm not too young,I'm not making a mistakke and no its not your life to decide if I should get this surgery or not no matter how stupid they think it is. No one understands here that diet and exercise alone doesn't work for me wls is not just my first option I've tried everything sooo if I wanted everyone at work to have a input in what I should do then I would have asked =) just had to vent a little bit. Anyone else going through this?

As I mentioned in my post over in pre-surgery- it is two of my siblings and a couple of nieces- they have called to do interventions, ad one nice actually sent me a powerpoint of her research of all the things she figured I did not know about the VSG. She figured wrong, I knew it all and a lot more. They are treating me as if I am just in la la land thinking this will solve all my problems and then will find out it was a mistake. They are violently anti medical model and they also have not lived near me for many years so really do not know me, my life, and the prison my body has become for me.

I had to tell them that I do not need info from them- I have plenty of that- I need love and support and if they can;t do that I wont be telling them any more about the process.

This weekend I was so happy as I finished every single pre requirement this Friday and it was so hard not to call them when I usually would share happy things with them. They wont think of it that way.

Luckily I - and you- have place like this for support. My husband and son are also totally on team Meggie! I feel for you.

Thank y'all so much for the feed back I needed it, I don't think there is 1 time that I don't come to work and someone has something to say about it lol so its just 100% negative feedback at work but I have a supportive boyfriend and a mom that just had the surgery 7 weeks ago so I know what is to be expected!

They will just be jealous watching you bloom!

Well I really tried to tell a couple of ones at work that I considered friends and one of them back fired and said I shouldn't do it. I made the decesion that if they wanted to know they would have to ask another person I told what was going on with me.. People tend to ask questions when you out of work for sugery for a couple of weeks.. I guess the best way to gett the message across is to say I told you so that you can support me. I didn't tell you for your opinion. I have already made my mind up and smile. They tend to get the point really fast.

You need to tell them that you regret letting any of them know about it, that you're proceeding with it no matter what, you don't need their negativity, and that you won't be discussing it with them at work at all from now on... and then stick to it. When they ask questions later on ("So how much have you lost?") give a quick vague answer and move on... let your results and your further actions speak for themselves--that'll shut them up. ;)

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this sweetie. I know it sucks. Just know, that alot of people don't really understand the sleeve either so just smile and nod.

I would just say to them when they start up. Im sorry when did you become an allmighty powerful God that you have any input or say into what I do with MY body! Maybe you might want to concentrate on your own life and let me concentrate on mine.

Ok maybe I am sarcastic but I get sick an tired of thes "know-it-alls" that know what you should do with your life and theirs is not perfect. Hope things settle down for you. I made a conscience decision to not tell anyone but my immediate family for these vary same reasons.

This surgery is not easy and definitely not the "quick fix" that so many people assume it is. Do what your led to do and let the workies know that the last thing you need is their negativity, you appreciate that they care (yea right), but you've made up your mind regardless of what they say. PS Be prepared to be watched very carefully after surgery- everything you put in your mouth, someone @ work will be watching, but it's awesome when they finally start seeing the results of the lifestyle change that YOU made!! Best Wishes!!!!

I had some opposition, mainly from my mother of all people! Follow your heart, and your gut. Do what is RIGHT for YOU!!! Everyone else does not have to live your life, live in your body or feel your feelings! I did it and DO NOT regret it! For me this is a forever permanent rest of my life problem, so I went for the forever permanent treatment! GREAT LUCK TO YOU!

I actually did NOT have to deal with anyone giving me a hard time. I told everyone in my immediate family plus a few other in my extended family...and in-laws. I told a handful of friends and I personally KNOW quite a few people from my hometown that have had WLS, I contacted four of them, even though we're not close friends, just to ask them questions. All of them had RNY, but still, I knew they'd have some insight.

Anyway, nobody discouraged me. The sarcastic side of me would advise a sarcastic come back....something like "As fun as the gym is, and as successful as I've been with doing w3ight watchers in the past, I've decided that having 85% of my tummy removed is the easy way out" Being from the south, you can always add a "Bless your heart" at the beginnig; prefaced with a bless your heart, you can say just about anything and not insult the person!! ;)

Haha yeah I'm in the South too. I love using the "bless your heart" when I really wanna call someone a clueless idiot. It kills me that 1) they think I would do this without researching it fully. 2). That I should take their advice when they don't struggle with my health issues or weight problem. 3) that they think their opinion or approval means anything to me. I would like family and friends support, but I'm not asking for their approval.

Kelly - the proof is in the pudding, so to speak! What you've done is great, it's a wise decision, I'm certain of it. I know you'll be successful!!! You're self confidence is going soar, you'll "feel" good and your energy level, even if you're like I was and thought it was good...........will be sooooo much better!!!

I feel great, and let me tell you, NOTHING tastes as good as being thin feels!!! I use to hate going shopping - NOW, it is so fun. I love it. I told my sister-in-law, there is a difference between buying something because it fits, and buying something that fits!! It's weird getting clothes that that are fitted, show my shape. Heck, it took a while to get use to actually going from the women's dept. to the misses dept.

Where are you? We are from Texas, misplaced Texans right now. Our house is for sale and we'll be moving to Dallas as soon as it sells. It will be nice to get back 'home'!!!!!!

Haha yeah I'm in the South too. I love using the "bless your heart" when I really wanna call someone a clueless idiot. It kills me that 1) they think I would do this without researching it fully. 2). That I should take their advice when they don't struggle with my health issues or weight problem. 3) that they think their opinion or approval means anything to me. I would like family and friends support, but I'm not asking for their approval.

I am in NW Alabama! You are right, their jaws are gonna drop when they see the lbs melting off of us. I think with some folks it is concern but some are just fearful we'll look better than them!

I believe you on the energy and feeling good. I've lost 30 lbs and it's amazing just what that amt has made on me. I can do so much more. Can't wait to shed the rest of this fat suit that I've been wearing too long!

I am looking forward to enjoying clothes shopping so much. Being able to buy things that are cute and fit good will be so awesome.