Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wil I ever be able to eat and drink at the same time again?

Can anyone tell me..will I ever be able to eat a meal and drink Water at the same time again? I am sooo concerned about this. I get really thirsty while I am eating and can't imagine having to wait 20 minutes or so AFTER a meal to take a sip of water...is this a forever thing?

Thanks guys!!

Yep, it's a forever thing. Once trick I've picked up on the Boards is to have a few slices of a juicy fruit to end the meal (half of a small orange, a few large grapes). I was trying that pre-op and it worked pretty well.

There's a big difference between drinking and taking a couple of sips to wet your whistle. I can and do sip with my meals, but to this very day, I can NOT drink with my meals. If I do 1 of 2 things will happen, I'll either puke or it hurts tremendously. If I drink too soon after eating (especially dense protein), it immediately hurts.

The liquids mush the food up and can cause food to empty faster thus leading to hunger, and being able to fit more food in which defeats the purpose of having a dietary guidelines.

Can anyone tell me..will I ever be able to eat a meal and drink Water at the same time again? I am sooo concerned about this. I get really thirsty while I am eating and can't imagine having to wait 20 minutes or so AFTER a meal to take a sip of water...is this a forever thing?

Thanks guys!!

I am glad you asked this question but this one haunts me. I am in the approval phase and have tried not drinking with meals. It is very hard for me. I find myself wanting to gulp down water; almost like I am dehydrated or something. (Not actually dehydrated though.) So I take a few sips like Tiffy said, then find myself gulping again after the meal. UGH!! I have to keep trying this so I don't mess up post op and hurt myself.

Funny thing, I am making my kids stop gulping during meals too. LOL It sure is easier to stop them than to stop myself hehehe!!! Either way, it is a good lesson to learn early - even without WLS.

:dance: :boink:

Thanks for the juicy fruit tip!! Amazing idea!! (And, daydreamer, I am a gulper too..lol!!!) I really worry about this but I gues like everything else we will adapt-they say in 3 weeks you can kick a bad habit, right? Maybe this will be mastered in our first three weeks! :P

I was a chronic drinker with meals too. Mainly because I needed to belch. After 7 weeks, I've finally learned not to drink with my meals. It sounds impossible, but it is doable. After awhile, you don't really think about it.

You will get through this!!

again speaking from a band experience!! I had my first year drinking through meals!!"yes no one told me about the rule.. I was so unlucky"

and then when I learned.. it was hard t first! I was screaming for water! as I get disgustingly thirsty after a bite or two!! but now! It is a piece of cake! I can wait more than an hour after my meals to have water!

It needs a little practice! my key was to distract my self for an hour after my meals!! and the feeling went off like this!!

I still feel thirsty but not crazy thirsty!! and when u find how good it is to not drink while meals ur brain will always think this way!! and tells u to stay away:)

It takes a little practice and u will get there:) best of luck:)

If your doctor allows gum and if you're a gum chewer I find that popping a piece of hydrating gum after a meal helps that dry mouth feeling, just don't swallow it lol

It IS a forever thing. Something that really concerned me, but it is a non-issue. I'm like Tiff, if I DO take a drink with some 'real' food, it is uncomfortable, I've never thrown up, but it hurts. I really don't remember why I've even done, it but I have a few times. Anyway, the point is, I'm a Texas girl, we drink iced tea with lunch and dinner.....I'd have three glasses each meal. I thought it would be a huge problem and it is not! The only time I even take a sip is when it feels like something is 'stuck' in my throat. Normally it does not help, but I do try. We need to keep the 'protein' in there to keep us full for as long as possible, plus it just doesn't feel good!! The one time I can and do drink and nibble at the same time without problems is when we go to Star Bucks and have coffee and I split a piece of pumpkin bread with my husband. Nice and slow.....now initially it was not good either, but over time, it is fine. I think because it is soft and I take itty bitty bites! Just to let you know, I did NOT have the pumpkin bread or mix coffee with anything until AFTER I had reached goal. Now I use it on Fridays to add to the calories I struggle to get in to keep from losing MORE weight!

Thanks guys!!

It is a habit and once you get the hang of it, it isn't that hard. You will find in the beginning that you can only fit a small amount of anything in your stomach and you will not want the Water in there increasing the pressure. The first couple of weeks you can't gulp at all, regardless of whether you just ate. You'll get used to the routine and it won't be so scary.

I have been using Biotene mouthwash to help me when I feel dry mouth, but haven't waited long enough to drink. It helps!

Lara

I chew a piece of gum a few minutes after eating. The saliva helps me NOT be so thirsty.

Before surgery I worried a lot about this because I was always thirsty and could down a bottle of Water like there was no tomorrow. But, after surgery I have found that I am not really thirsty. Granted, I am on full fluids still, but it is a huge difference in making myself drink it. I am still nervous about not being able to drink anything with my meals because I love my Mexican food. It's hard to imagine not being able to drink with my hot sauce (salsa). I laughingly told my husband I was going to have to get a spittoon so I can rinse my mouth out if it gets too hot!!

A few other changes I have noticed as well. 1) High blood pressure was never an issue for me. Mine always hovered around 120/80-135/80. Funny thing is, I went to my PCP to get a diabetes kit because shortly before surgery he diagnosed me with diabetes. While there they took my blood pressure and it was 110/80...she said, "let me take that again." Well she did and it was still the same. Wild! Maybe that explains why I'm not burning up all the time like before. I was so very hot natured before surgery, but I feel pretty comfortable now. Sometimes I'm even a little chilled. 2) She gave me a crash course in checking my blood sugars and when it came time to check it, it was 118. Normal! She told me maybe I won't have to start my meds after all. She said to check my blood every other morning for 2 weeks and we would go from there. Praise the Lord!! I am sooo loving my sleeve!!!

By the way...I am 15 days post-op and down a total of 24 lbs!

I sip during my meals, no pain, no nausea. Now mind you my sipping equals about 1/8th a full glass of ice tea or Water.< /p>

I chew gum immediately after eating and it really helps with thirst. I find that I am not thirsty when eating, I just want a drink after I'm done. The gum is a life saver but I am used to it and you will be too. I do occasionally sip.

I am only 2 weeks out and on full liquid diet, but my nutritionist said drink your fluids up to 15-20 minutes before your meal but then stop. Water empies pretty quickly then eat your meals. This might help with being thirsy. It isn't the same as sipping that soda or ice tea with lunch but I found before surgery, I could wash a HUGH amount of food down with liquids. I will see in time....