Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mixed feeling more question! WHAT IF!

So hereI am again ... bothering the hell out of you amazing supportive people but please bare with me again!

so the decision have been made!! I am going to have a sleeve!! in 3 weeks may be 4 MAX as soon as the money is all there.

Talked to my doctor and he just asked me to do some lab tests and other chest and cardio ones too.

Also he told me I should go on a diet!! one week before my surgery!! I was like Doctor I have been on a diet forever! LOL he laughed back and he was like I dont wanna put u on a liquid diet for so long so you either go on a strict diet one week before the surgery or just have a liquid diet 4 days before the surgery! he knows liquid diet sucks when I am on a band!!!

Now dont get me wrong.. I do believe after reading nearly half of the board that some see that the band makes u have bad food choices which I agree with so much!! but It restricted ur eating one day? I cant get chicken down for example which most of you can't too but if ever I managed too I still dont lose weight or may be have a little gain at the end of the week..

so WHAT IF ! I started eating healthier on my sleeve with restriction ofcourse and I still didnt lose the weight?!

Quiet frankly I have been having less than 1000 calories a day for god knows how long now! and I am still flactuating between the same 6 pounds!! even with running involved and everything I still dont see results!

Is my body saying its over for u! thats the lowest u can reach?!

I know there is no one who can guarantee me I can lose the weight after my sleeve

but If my sleeve will just let me eat more comfortably "With restriction" -and comfortably I mean without feeling the stuck food in my throat - and I still consume the same low amount of calories.. then whats the difference it could make with my weight?!

I hate to be another failure at another procedure!

this might crush my forever .. you know?

so let me know your thoughts.. and If I couldnt make myself clear as I mentioned before English is my second langauange please please let me know so I can try to clear it more out!

I am still happy but worried, afraid ofcourse of the surgery as usual.. then Excited after seeing the success stories!!

I am also terrified of the liquid diet I will have to be on before and after my surgery!! I couldnt get one clear thought out of the board about it! some feel good with certain liquid and others dont!

Will I still be able to consume latte? knowing it is skimmed skinny one?

I hate citrus stuff like oranges freshly squeezed juice ..

so what did u have on ur liquid diet?! before and after?

Thanks again !!

I am 3 weeks out from my band to sleeve revision. I'll try my best to answer your questions:

- I didn't have to do a pre-op diet, but I am a low BMI patient. The liquids ahead of time will prepare you for the extended liquids after the surgery. It will give you chance to figure out which ones you like.

- For me, liquids were extremely difficult. It is different for everyone, it seems, and you won't know until you get there. But, have an open mind and try your very best. The first week after surgery, you can barely swallow anything so just get as much Water in as you can. Every week gets better. Try to find a couple of very flavorful broths before you have surgery so you can have them on hand when you get back.

- I have started mushies and I can say that I already can eat and swallow better than I did with my band. I had 1 oz of moist chicken thigh without the skin last night with no problem at all - and I haven't eaten chicken in almost 4 years because of my lap-band. I also don't have that upper stomach pain every time I eat. No port pain. Having the lap band gone is fantastic for me. However, I am chewing as if my life depended on it.

- I can't really tolerate much of the Protein drinks. I do the best I can. At 3 weeks out, I barely get in 400 cals per day. You can't help but lose weight. However, I am not weighing in very often because I don't want to get hung up on the numbers. If you have less to lose, it will come off slower. I can already see changes in my body, even though my stomach is still swollen from surgery.

Good luck and congrats on your decision!

Lara

I am 3 weeks out from my band to sleeve revision. I'll try my best to answer your questions:

- I didn't have to do a pre-op diet, but I am a low BMI patient. The liquids ahead of time will prepare you for the extended liquids after the surgery. It will give you chance to figure out which ones you like.

- For me, liquids were extremely difficult. It is different for everyone, it seems, and you won't know until you get there. But, have an open mind and try your very best. The first week after surgery, you can barely swallow anything so just get as much Water in as you can. Every week gets better. Try to find a couple of very flavorful broths before you have surgery so you can have them on hand when you get back.

- I have started mushies and I can say that I already can eat and swallow better than I did with my band. I had 1 oz of moist chicken thigh without the skin last night with no problem at all - and I haven't eaten chicken in almost 4 years because of my lap-band. I also don't have that upper stomach pain every time I eat. No port pain. Having the lap band gone is fantastic for me. However, I am chewing as if my life depended on it.

- I can't really tolerate much of the Protein drinks. I do the best I can. At 3 weeks out, I barely get in 400 cals per day. You can't help but lose weight. However, I am not weighing in very often because I don't want to get hung up on the numbers. If you have less to lose, it will come off slower. I can already see changes in my body, even though my stomach is still swollen from surgery.

Good luck and congrats on your decision!

Lara

Thanks Lara! this is so informative!! I just replied to you on another topic about my feelings and worries!!

Well, It sounds really terrific U are able to swallow better than the band but my main concern as I mentioned on the other reply! If the sleeve gonna make me eat less then lets see what I am eating right now! and compare how am I gonna lose weight on the sleeve,

Breakfast: " as we all know .. banded ppl like us are stuck the most in the morning"

1 cup of skimmed latte

a bite "1 table spoon" of any of the following " scrambled eggs - bite of bread with cheese - bite of Salmon raw (sashimi) "

snack : either nothing or just another cup of skimmed latte

Lunch: NOTHING!! I save my allowance to eat for dinner!

Dinner: Sashimi (less than 4 oz) or 2 Sushi rolls!

Snack: chocolate " I know I am guilty but it is less than 60 calories! I choose small bites of any kind! and some days I dont have it!

As far for my exercise : 4-5 days a week! each session consists of either 1 hour of elliptical + 20 mins spinning or Just 1 hour of complete jogging on treadmill

I have a bodybugg I purchased while my visit to the states and I can say I burn around 3000 calories a day on my working out days and 2200 a day on my non working out days!

So will the sleeve be any different?

Hi--

Looks like you are eating very little already. It's hard to say over time how that will change. In the beginning, sleevers can only eat about 2 oz of anything. But, it looks like your band is doing what it is supposed to do. The difference in the sleeve will be a consistent restriction.

Lara

Thanks Lara! this is so informative!! I just replied to you on another topic about my feelings and worries!!

Well, It sounds really terrific U are able to swallow better than the band but my main concern as I mentioned on the other reply! If the sleeve gonna make me eat less then lets see what I am eating right now! and compare how am I gonna lose weight on the sleeve,

Breakfast: " as we all know .. banded ppl like us are stuck the most in the morning"

1 cup of skimmed latte

a bite "1 table spoon" of any of the following " scrambled eggs - bite of bread with cheese - bite of Salmon raw (sashimi) "

snack : either nothing or just another cup of skimmed latte

Lunch: NOTHING!! I save my allowance to eat for dinner!

Dinner: Sashimi (less than 4 oz) or 2 Sushi rolls!

Snack: chocolate " I know I am guilty but it is less than 60 calories! I choose small bites of any kind! and some days I dont have it!

As far for my exercise : 4-5 days a week! each session consists of either 1 hour of elliptical + 20 mins spinning or Just 1 hour of complete jogging on treadmill

I have a bodybugg I purchased while my visit to the states and I can say I burn around 3000 calories a day on my working out days and 2200 a day on my non working out days!

So will the sleeve be any different?

Unlike with the band...I can eat whatever I want!!! There is no food that makes me sick and so horrible food stuck feeling. In 12 weeks since the surgery, I vomited ONCE at that was my own fault. This is a much more NORMAL way of life. I don't even have reflux, which other people say they have. I am telling you that as a former lap band recipient, you will be so happy you made the decision.

Every time I put a piece of food in my mouth, I felt fear with the band. It's a terrible way to live.

Good luck and you will feel great!

Thank you so much!! I cant believe how much support this board is giving:)

and yes I am always afraid of what am putting in my mouth as u said!

and yes I am eating so little!!

and finally after speaking with many and receiving ur awesome posts!! I have come to conclusion that it will be so different and so healthy with the sleeve!

and that the first 2 weeks are days from hell! but they pass!

and that I can get to my goal weight!!

u all put so much optimism in my way:)

I also had an appointment with another doctor for just a second opinion!! and he told me that I am considered a band success story!!! which really made me feel over the moon.. as my band doctor somehow considered he failed me somehow.. he is a friend to my dad and he mentioned that one day to him that he feels that he didn't do well with me!

well the other doctor really said that my doctor was a great one! and he really did a great job with u!

He is also convinced that I am gonna get through the sleeve as I had my band to practice some part of what I have to do with the sleeve too.

He also believes that the human being should work on their band for maximum 6-8 years as it is very dangerous to keep it in for the rest of our lives.. supposedly the human being is then adapted to new life style and eating habits!

My other doctor " the one who didn't perform the band but did the check ups with me and suggested the sleeve" is the one I am having the sleeve with.

But my consult doctor is the one who brought up a nice point about WHY U ARE GOING TO LOSE WEIGHT ON UR SLEEVE!

He told me .. as we get rid of the gherlin in ur body there is a hormonal balance that happens.. as much as the gherlin is not produced by large amounts in the stomach as before other 2 hormones starts to be produced which are the biggest help to higher ing ur metabolism rates!

With the band the gherlin is there and may be always produced in highly amount as u are never ever satisfied! except for feeling restriction.. so by the time.. what ever u do !! the gherlin block the production of the other hormones with good quantity to help your metabolism and thats why some or more ppl experience weight-loss plateaus or may be weight gain!

Hope I did well explaining what he said!!

AND THATS WHY I AM HAVING MY SLEEVE!! and I will be hoping and praying the first 2 weeks pass so quick!!

SO MUCH KISSES FOR ALL OF U HERE XOX

That's good information about the grehlin and other hormones. Your doctor sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

I also think the sleeve will allow you eat in a more normal and healthy way. You may not be eating enough with the band. And if you fear everything you eat then that seems to be a very hard way to live.

I don't have either yet but I have decided on the sleeve after reading so many stories like yours of people with the band having so many problems. If I ever have a doubt I just come here and read some revision stories and that sets my mind at ease! Thanks and I hope you do great with the sleeve!

Hey there! Don't worry about asking questions... EVERYONE has a million questions before surgery and everyone is scared!

Regarding the food I can eat. So far, there hasn't been anything I can't tolerate. There are a few things that go down better if there is sauce to make it more juicy. For example, when I eat chicken I usually make a yogurt sauce to dip it in. I also sometimes make Soup, and I eat the broth first, and wait a little bit before eating the solids--chicken is pretty tender when you cook it this way.

As to your question about the number of calories, I'm not sure. The lowest I ever went before surgery was 1200 calories. Maybe your surgeon can give you some advice on this one....

As to the liquid diet, I had no problem with it, other than getting really bored and craving something savory. I ate a lot of Protein drinks and prayed for the mushy phase :-). I'm sure you could probably drink a latte (although we were told to stay away from caffeine early out, so I'd go with a decaffeinated latte maybe :-))I hope that helps! If it makes you feel any better, none of the things I was afraid of happened. I've had a really easy experience, and my restriction has been good, but I haven't had any of the typical problems that bandsters have like sliming, vomiting, and feeling stuck.... I hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

That's good information about the grehlin and other hormones. Your doctor sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

I also think the sleeve will allow you eat in a more normal and healthy way. You may not be eating enough with the band. And if you fear everything you eat then that seems to be a very hard way to live.

I don't have either yet but I have decided on the sleeve after reading so many stories like yours of people with the band having so many problems. If I ever have a doubt I just come here and read some revision stories and that sets my mind at ease! Thanks and I hope you do great with the sleeve!

Thank u so much :) I too think you should go with the sleeve.. the main reason I am saying that cause I saw ur ticker, u are 110 LBS away from ur goal.. and to be honest the band only helped me when I was way heavier than u! I was over 300 pounds and it helped me losing 90 pounds the rest were purely on my own!

So with a lighter weight like urs I would go with the sleeve, I am having friends who weighted 50 pounds less than me and had the band and are stuck at the same weight I am today!.

I dont mean to push anything toward ur way but as u said, u have read a lot and knew what u are gonna be facing with both. I think my story is typical! I also would advice if u visit the OH board to go to the sleeve and the revision board. The band one is a bit formal! people stopped posting about their bands problems there cause as I heard some were really too offensive and did nothing but blame the failure on them.

Best of luck with ur decision and I too wish the sleeve will work for all of us:)

Hey there! Don't worry about asking questions... EVERYONE has a million questions before surgery and everyone is scared!

Regarding the food I can eat. So far, there hasn't been anything I can't tolerate. There are a few things that go down better if there is sauce to make it more juicy. For example, when I eat chicken I usually make a yogurt sauce to dip it in. I also sometimes make Soup, and I eat the broth first, and wait a little bit before eating the solids--chicken is pretty tender when you cook it this way.

As to your question about the number of calories, I'm not sure. The lowest I ever went before surgery was 1200 calories. Maybe your surgeon can give you some advice on this one....

As to the liquid diet, I had no problem with it, other than getting really bored and craving something savory. I ate a lot of Protein drinks and prayed for the mushy phase :-). I'm sure you could probably drink a latte (although we were told to stay away from caffeine early out, so I'd go with a decaffeinated latte maybe :-))I hope that helps! If it makes you feel any better, none of the things I was afraid of happened. I've had a really easy experience, and my restriction has been good, but I haven't had any of the typical problems that bandsters have like sliming, vomiting, and feeling stuck.... I hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

Thanks! it seems so true .. I keep asking and the answers come my way! this forum is just too friendly happy supportive one! I am just addicted! I find myself checking on ppl now and worrying about those whose surgery date was on! :) It is amazing:)

Ur input sure helps a lot:) and I am so thankful u took the time to write it:).. I was so aware of the decaffeinated coffee after I read about it here several times .. so I went out and bought a Decaf one.. I think I bought my vitamins/protein shake and the only thing now I have to buy is patience and something to ease my stress!:)

I am a smoker and the more the date is approaching the harder I find it to quit!.. I know it is terrible, and we they have no policy against smoking. so finger crossed I will survive this!

thank u again and congratulations on ur weightloss!!!:) It is amazing:)