Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Liquids??? HELP

I am about to start my 10 day pre-op liquid only diet. {NOT FUN}

I know I am suppose to have broths, and Protein drinks. They say not have any juice, I understand that but, Why can't I blend a banana or strawberries with my Crystal Light? It's still Sugar Free! I just don't know how you banders have done it? I am so nervous, I may just say Forget the whole thing.

ANY ADVISE? :eek:

The pre-op isn't fun, but it is soon just an unpleasant memory.

Fruit has sugar. Just a few strawberries and half a banana will erase any progress you have made in reaching ketosis where you are using your liver's fat stores for energy instead of ingested carbs. fruit BAD

In my pre-op diet I had to remain under 40 carbs each day. I was allowed Protein bars with 1 or 2 "net" carbs. My doc still called this Liquid Protein. If we had to cheat he suggested dry unseasoned chicken breast or drained tuna.< /span>

The two things that scared me into following orders were fear of bleeding and fear of all the pain (and expense) of surgery with no band to show for it.

If you liver is too big, most docs will close you up and send you home. If they try and place the band, they could damage the liver trying to move it aside and you could bleed internally.

Get through it, tough it out, and put it behind you. The headache will suck for the first 2 or 3 days but it goes away with the hunger. If you are like most of us, it may be the last white-knuckle diet you ever have to do.

Onward to Bandland(ia)!

I think it is mostly a scare tactic so that you won't be buffeting yourself to death. a had a HUGE LIVER FROM ALL THE carbs. 50% of doctors don't require any type of pre op diet. Here is the deal. A high protien diet with low carbs shrink your liver..... Eat HIGH Protien and leave carbs out.... no pastas, Cookies, etc.... You will do fine. I was banded on Wednesday and did not follow the diet but about 7 days out of 14. Only about 5 of the days did I follow it to the letter. I shrunk my liver by living on steak and bacon. Go girl.... I even had a few bits of chocolate. If they don't scare you to death about it you would be a bad girl. It does bother you that you know your buffet days are over and you can't help but to want to eat more. I am mourning the loss of my best friend. FOOD! I think that being a normal sized person will be worth it. Good luck.... Btw, I really thought the surgery was a piece of cake. I never took a pain med after. NOt even tylenol.

lisa, RN

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

weight.png

[/url]

I am about to start my 10 day pre-op liquid only diet. {NOT FUN}

I know I am suppose to have broths, and Protein drinks. They say not have any juice, I understand that but, Why can't I blend a banana or strawberries with my Crystal Light? It's still Sugar Free! I just don't know how you banders have done it? I am so nervous, I may just say Forget the whole thing.

ANY ADVISE? :eek:

I don't want to give you advice that contradicts your doctors instructions but for my pre-op liquid diet I was allowed sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles. Those were lifesavers! You might want to ask him/her and see if you are allowed those things. Also, I wasn't limited to broths. I was allowed cream of mushroom Soup and blended vegetable medley (from the Campbell's Soup to Go line). But check with your doctor first.

Please don't give up, it's worth it. And don't cheat because your doctor will be able to tell and you don't want your liver to be in the way. YOU CAN DO IT!!! YOU ARE WORTH IT!! :clap2:

I am struggling with my pre-op diet as well, but when I awoke this morning, I am down 3 lbs. I figure, we will have to be on liquids and mushies for awhile after the diet, so might as well get our bodies used to it now.I've also been confused by conflicting information about length of diet, whats allowed, etc. But I think the doctor is looking at your age, weight, etc. when they instruct us. It's better to be safe IMO. It does get easier as days pass. Good luck!

I am a little unclear, if you stick to a high protien diet low carb will it shrink my liver.:speechles I have started the diet and fallen down on the second day.:success1:

Ihave been given a diet very similiar most of you apart from the shakes, and jelly.

I only have 10 days left and really need some support please.:) I was so hungrey at work whilst everyone was eatting normally. I was eatting yogurts and milk. :hungry: PLEASE HELP with suggestions ??????:party:

LANA

Lana,

High protien and low carbs will shrink your liver. The liver lays on top of the stomach therefore making the surgery easier if the liver is smaller. Make sense? However, those sugar free popsicles and jellos are fine. I think that you can fudge with anything CARBLESS.... even Pork rinds. If you like those. They have to make sure that you are not BUFFETING 2 weeks before surgery. That is the reason they are so strict. I did eat steak, crablegs and other high protiens. However, I stayed away from carbs. I was fine. They will not decide not to do the surgery. That would cost them MONEY! Do the best you can and don't worry about it .

Lana,

High protien and low carbs will shrink your liver. The liver lays on top of the stomach therefore making the surgery easier if the liver is smaller. ....... They will not decide not to do the surgery. That would cost them MONEY! Do the best you can and don't worry about it .

Oh yes absolutely, they'll still do it. But I was told that if the liver was too large, instead of 5 little incisions it would be one larger incision. The thought of that helped me stick to it...save for the "Saturday Pasta Incident", but we don't need to go into that. :) :party: :success1:

Well, I'm on my 2nd day of my 2 week pre-op diet. Yesterday wasn't too bad until about 4:30. I started getting really hungry and got a real bad headache. My pre-op diet is a little different each day.

Day 1 is Protein shakes (I use the Atkins ones) at 8:00, 10:00, 12:00 & 2:00 and then 4 oz lean meat and 1/2 c cooked veg at Supper.

Day 2 is the same except at Supper I can add a serving of fruit.< /p>

Day 3 is shakes at 8:00 & 10:00; 2 oz lean meat, 1 c cooked veg, 1 c. skim milk or serving of yogart or cottage cheese for lunch, another shake at 2:00 and 3 oz lean meat, 1 c. raw veg and 1 serving of fruit at supper

Day 4 is the same as Day 3 except at supper instead of serving of fruit, you get 1 serving of bread/starch

Day 5 is the same as Day 4

Day 6 is the same as Day 4 & 5

Day 7 is a shake and a serving of fruit at 8:00, another shake at 10:00, 4 oz lean meat, 1 1/2 c. raw or cookekd veg and 1 serv fruit at lunch, another shake at 2:00 and 4 oz lean meat, 1 1/2 c raw or cooked veg, 1 serving bread/starch, 1 serving fruit for supper.

Day 8 - Same as Day 1

Day 9 - Same as Day 2

Day 10 - Same as Day 3

Day 11 - Same as Day 4

Day 12 - Same as Day 5

Day 13 - Same as Day 6

Day 14 - Clear Liquids UNTIL MIDNIGHT (Day before surgery)

It also says that Substitute 1 Nutrition Bar on any day except Day 7 & 14 for one of the Shakes. It also says that Sugar free/fat free Jello, no carbinated drinks - you can have Crystal Light, sugar free Kool-Aid and Fruit 2-0 for drinks

I KNOW THIS IS LONG, BUT IT MUST WORK...I LOST 4 LBS AFTER THE FIRST DAY!!! I was starting to think that this diet was too complicating, but if it will work this well, I can do it for 2 weeks...I've been on worse diets before. Good luck to everyone on your weight loss journey. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Have you ever met anyone that had a open? band?

let's start a poll about preop diet and those who did not follow it. I will bet that we can't find one person. IT will be interesting

Not being banded....probably for a long time yet... but I wanted to shrink my liver and kick start my wieght loss.... Hubby and I are gunna do your pre op diet for a week and see how it goes, so Thanx again!!!!

Mr. Yo.....you have your whole life ahead of you with the band....only good can come from that....so, what's a short few weeks on a special diet.

I had to go on a yogurt and cottage cheese fast for two weeks pre-op. It was difficult, but you will be surprised how fast those few weeks go by.

Isn't every thing you want / expect from having the band worth it? Suck it up and stick with it!

Carol

ooooh! pre opt diet talk. I've been looking for a thread like this.

My doctor didn't suggest a preopt diet. He did ask me to lose 5lbs. So far i'm only down 2lbs.

I have to admit thought that i haven't really been trying. Its just really really hard for me.

Mr Yo, I've always told myself i'd go on a preopt liquid diet a week before surgery but here i am acting like i don't have surgery on the 5th.

I don't know what kind of advice to give. I hope you can do it. I hope i can do it. We just need to discipline ourselves.

Meow=^..^= :

You are welcome. I hope that it works for you. I did pretty good until today. We had a 4th of July get-together and I didn't actually go by the plan, but I did okay. I only had 2 Protein shakes today, had a couple of pieces fried catfish fillets at lunch, lots of Water and crystal light and then a piece of chicken for supper. I didn't do the veggie thing today, but I will do better. I have lost about 7 lbs since Tuesday, so that's not bad, but I know most of it was Water, because my ankles were pretty swollen. Anyway...good luck and hope you able to get banded soon.