Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi There- I have not had VSG surgery yet but I have been seriously considering it. I am starting to jump through the hoops to get my surgery set up. My family and friends are trying to be supportive but I am getting these negative comments every now and then. I am not sure how to handle them. I am typically very good at making my own choices and having a devil may care attitude about them. This decisions however, has been different. The tiny shots of negitivity have me doubting myself.

EXAMPLE; After attending the seminar with my boyfriend we were having dinner. I asked him what he thought. He said he thought the surgery was very risky and that it was really just a matter of will power.

I am not sure what to say to people when they are supportive- but in a kinda negative way.

It's great that you have some support. I find that most people who have the "negative slant" are just very concerned about you.

Question - is your boyfriend overweight? If not, he simply doesn't understand and he will probably never understand. It's not his fault and it's not your fault. Sometimes we can never understand a person's perspective unless we've been there.

You could talk to him about why "willpower" isn't working for you. Explain that you have a disease and you want the best treatment you can get to be healthy.

You could also let him know how the comments affect you - not speaking up for yourself may cause them to say more damaging things because they do not understand the effect their comments have on you. Make sense?

Focus on the good things. For example, he went to the seminar WITH YOU - that is a very good thing! He is probably trying to reconcile all of this in his head too. After all, it will be his journey as well.

Keep your chin up!

I know how difficult it can be to hear negative things. When I started to do all my pre-surgery requirments I started to tell friends and family. I heard negative things too. I just had to remember that this decision wasnt just for me it was for my husband and my kids too. I was doing it so that I could live a long and happy life. I knew it was the surgery for me and that this was the chance for something to actually work. I reminded myself that my husband and I made this decision. It was made! That's it. No matter what opinion others had, ours is all that matters.

If they bring up things that worry you write them down and talk to your surgeon about them. My surgeon always answered my question and was so confident that this was right for me that I believe it too.

Good Luck to you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches