Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Add to chicken broth to make it not-so-nasty?

DougNichols
Sign in to follow this  

What would you recommend I add to chicken broth from the store, to make it not-so-nasty by itself?

I tried shrimp ramen packet, and that was pretty good.

Any other ideas? Need to stay liquid only for the first 3 weeks after surgery, and seeking some flavor.

Try a little bit of A-1 steak sauce (or equivalent). It's my secret ingredient in cabbage Soup, which I frequently make with chicken instead of hamburger, and it really adds a nice flavor.

I had chicken broth on a liquid day a few days ago, trying to detox from the holidays LOL.... while Greek yogurt works beautifully in Tomato Soup, ummmmm.... not so much in the chicken broth. It didn't dissolve or thicken it up any, and with the broth being clear you could just see bits of yogurt floating around in it. Not appetizing! :lol:

Since you can't really throw any herbs in there (I would have suggested some basil maybe), I guess the steak sauce is my only suggestion. Let us know what you come up with, I'm curious!

I put in a little soy sauce which adds a bit of flavor but nothing fabulous. Tomorrow I am going to cook chicken broth with some fresh veggies and herbs and then strain the solids out. Canned broth is kinda nasty on it's own, alas. I bet it would be very good if a little leftover rotisserie chicken was also included, and strained out before consuming. It would add even more flavor. Might ask the hub to buy a rotisserie chicken for his dinner tomorrow so I can use the leftovers.

I even made french onion Soup and drained the onions. The only thing with that is was high in sodium but is sure tasted good.

I tried adding a little extra chicken boullion which made it saltier but much yummier. I also experimented with soy sauce, lemon (even though its kind of discouraged I never had problems with it) and also the french onion Soup packet (strained). I found that chicken stock tasted better than the broth, and I think it had a little bit more Protein. I also alternated beef and veggie stock. I think the best suggestion is to boil some chicken, veggies and maybe thyme or some other spices and strain. You can keep the chicken and veggies and freeze for the mushies stage.

I added stage one baby food meat, garlic powder and pepper to broth. My doc & nut said as long as it was thin enough to pass through a straw it was ok for liquids.< /p>

I found that chicken stock tasted much better. Kitchen basics makes a good one. I also added a bunch of spices to the stock and heated it up for a few minutes, then strained them out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches