Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Only 3 Times a Day and No Snacking...

Ok...I was sleeved in December...starting solid foods now...and cant believe we are only allowed 3 meals a deal with no snacking...I would think since the meals are so small, we'd need to eat a little more so we're not passing out...and when I say snacking, i mean some fruit or veggies or other healthy snack...i dont mean snicker bars or ice cream (mmmm....snicker bars and ice cream :P)...or how about a Protein Drink between meals...why do they say no snacking instead of healthy snacking? i dont see any other way to get in some fruits and veggies on a regular basis if i don't snack on them versus praying i have room for them at meal time after i eat all my dense protein...thoughts??

I was to do 4 meals per day with a minimum of 15gr of Protein per meal. This ensured Protein goals were met. I didn't have room for Snacks, and didn't bother with Protein drinks since I was able to get my protein from food sources. It's amazing what the body can do when it starts burning fat for energy, and utilizing all the stores we have built up in our bodies.

The no snacking thing is to help stop grazing. It's an ugly habit, and the further out you get, the more you can eat, plus, it's mindless, head hunger eating that leads to slow weight loss. I struggle with grazing now that I'm further out so I rely on my "losing stage" habits to keep me in check. Having a few things here and there adds up, and over the course of the next few months, you'll find that you can fit more in. The focus early out is to maximize weight loss. Some decide to snack and have zero issue with losing, but for me, it's a mental thing, and I had to nip snacking completely.

Of course at 19 months out, it's a lot easier to eat more. Around 6-7 months out(I was at goal), I had zero issues eating plenty of veggies. I'm not a fruit eater, never have been so it's not something I worry too much about.

Tiffy you are soo right! I didn't snack until 6 months out and close to goal but once you start grazing it's hard. I had to rethink my habits on the first of January and nip the snacking if I want to lose 10 more lbs, DH says no more weight loss but he's not the Doctor in chargelol.. I have seen where some people have 6 small meals a day instead of the three, it's whatever works for you but my surgeon said 3 meals too. Good Luck!!

I agree with you, the first few months out, you can eat so little, there's no way you could get enough nutrients from 3 meals a day and no snacks/protein shakes between meals. Gotta make sure you get the Protein in so you don't lose too much muscle mass! And I think it's fine to snack on low-calorie, healthy items like vegetables or fruit. No one ever got fat from eating cucumbers!

I am 5.5 months out and generally eat 3 meals a day plus a snack, but each of those meals is cut in two, because I still can't eat more than 2.5 oz at any given time. So, to get in all my Protein I eat half my meal, wait about 15 minutes or a cup of tea, and then eat the rest. I count that as one meal but if you were gonna get picky about it, I suppose you could call it six meals.

Yep, I was told to eat three times a day and still do... easy habit to form in the early days and not it is my routine!

If I do need a snack it is a Protein based one or some fruit or veg! When I 'think' I am hungry I just drink a lot of water!

I refuse to call what I do snacking, I'd rather say I have 5 small meals a day. Apart from my 3 main meals I have 2 "snacks" which are usually yoghurt, or Protein (cheese stick, a piece of cold meat) and few cups of coffee or tea (with milk).

I too eat 3 meals a day -- Breakfast usually an egg or two plus bacon or ham; lunch is leftovers -- today is chili!; and then dinner is usually red meat or fish plus salad. Sometimes I will throw in some afternoon snack like cheese or ham. I do drink coffee (now) in the mornings. But, I'm usually sticking to the 3 meals a day . . .

Ok...I was sleeved in December...starting solid foods now...and cant believe we are only allowed 3 meals a deal with no snacking...I would think since the meals are so small, we'd need to eat a little more so we're not passing out...and when I say snacking, i mean some fruit or veggies or other healthy snack...i dont mean snicker bars or ice cream (mmmm....snicker bars and ice cream :P)...or how about a Protein drink between meals...why do they say no snacking instead of healthy snacking? i dont see any other way to get in some fruits and veggies on a regular basis if i don't snack on them versus praying i have room for them at meal time after i eat all my dense protein...thoughts??

I was told to add 2 Snacks in between. . but Protein Snacks, so even at 1 year out I still have 2 string cheese for my evening snack and 1/2 an apple for midmorning snack. . . Protein shakes are an excellent choice as well. . .

I was to do 4 meals per day with a minimum of 15gr of Protein per meal. This ensured Protein goals were met. I didn't have room for Snacks, and didn't bother with protein drinks since I was able to get my protein from food sources. It's amazing what the body can do when it starts burning fat for energy, and utilizing all the stores we have built up in our bodies.

The no snacking thing is to help stop grazing. It's an ugly habit, and the further out you get, the more you can eat, plus, it's mindless, head hunger eating that leads to slow weight loss. I struggle with grazing now that I'm further out so I rely on my "losing stage" habits to keep me in check. Having a few things here and there adds up, and over the course of the next few months, you'll find that you can fit more in. The focus early out is to maximize weight loss. Some decide to snack and have zero issue with losing, but for me, it's a mental thing, and I had to nip snacking completely.

Of course at 19 months out, it's a lot easier to eat more. Around 6-7 months out(I was at goal), I had zero issues eating plenty of veggies. I'm not a fruit eater, never have been so it's not something I worry too much about.

Can you post a sample of what your meals consisted of? I know a lot of us pre-sleevers are worried about what we can eat and how to get all our protein in without resorting to shakes if possible. Thanks! Cheri

Can you post a sample of what your meals consisted of? I know a lot of us pre-sleevers are worried about what we can eat and how to get all our Protein in without resorting to shakes if possible. Thanks! Cheri

Breakfast- Poached with cheese or greek yogurt and some deli meat, or leftovers from the previous night's dinner

early lunch - deli meat(3-5 slices depending on the texture, brand, and thickness) with cream cheese, or 3oz of tuna or chicken with greek yogurt

lunch- repeat from above, or some ground meat with refried Beans and taco sauce, the prepared chicken deli meat strips, or the fajita seasoned chicken and steak strips that you can find in the meat department.

late afternoon meal- chicken or tuna or even crab with more greek yogurt, or mayo, cheese chunks, beef Jerky and Pork rinds

dinner - was the meat portion of whatever my family was having with a few tbsp of green veggies typically green Beans, spinach or broccoli and more cheese

My menu was very boring during my losing stage. I ate tons of refried beans, ground beef/turkey with Pasta sauce, tuna or chicken salad, tons of 2% milk cheese chunks, laughing cow cheese wedges, loads and loads of greek yogurt. I'd take a romaine lettuce heart, cut it in half and roll up some thin sliced deli meat and cream cheese (garden veggie was my favorite), or a wedge of laughing cow cheese. I would occasion bake a tilapia or mahi mahi frozen filet with lemon-pepper seasoning and could eat about 4ounces. That pre-cooked bacon was a good option to roll up in deli meat too. I could microwave it to make it extra crispy. I'd make the "cheese crisp chips" and top with tuna or chicken salad for some texture.

Mornings were my biggest struggle. My sleeve restriction was tightest in the morning so foods had to be soft/mushy.

Tiff,

What are cheese crisp chips? I miss chips so much. I've had the rice cake chips and those are good.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/cheesecrisps.htm

It's just baked cheese. I use hard parmesan, or asiago cheese. Parchment paper on a cookie sheet works great for these. I stick them in the oven and watch them carefully because they will burn. I grate the cheese into little piles, and they melt down to little crisps.

Breakfast- Poached with cheese or greek yogurt and some deli meat, or leftovers from the previous night's dinner

early lunch - deli meat(3-5 slices depending on the texture, brand, and thickness) with cream cheese, or 3oz of tuna or chicken with greek yogurt

lunch- repeat from above, or some ground meat with refried Beans and taco sauce, the prepared chicken deli meat strips, or the fajita seasoned chicken and steak strips that you can find in the meat department.

late afternoon meal- chicken or tuna or even crab with more greek yogurt, or mayo, cheese chunks, beef Jerky and Pork rinds

dinner - was the meat portion of whatever my family was having with a few tbsp of green veggies typically green Beans, spinach or broccoli and more cheese

My menu was very boring during my losing stage. I ate tons of refried beans, ground beef/turkey with Pasta sauce, tuna or chicken salad, tons of 2% milk cheese chunks, laughing cow cheese wedges, loads and loads of greek yogurt. I'd take a romaine lettuce heart, cut it in half and roll up some thin sliced deli meat and cream cheese (garden veggie was my favorite), or a wedge of laughing cow cheese. I would occasion bake a tilapia or mahi mahi frozen filet with lemon-pepper seasoning and could eat about 4ounces. That pre-cooked bacon was a good option to roll up in deli meat too. I could microwave it to make it extra crispy. I'd make the "cheese crisp chips" and top with tuna or chicken salad for some texture.

Mornings were my biggest struggle. My sleeve restriction was tightest in the morning so foods had to be soft/mushy.

Thank you! This will be soooooo helpful!