Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else now disgusted with food?

I was a foodaholic, ballooned up to 375# and was miserable. Had my VSG on 12/6/10 and today at 5+ weeks I am 56 lbs down. I found that I still think about food and image how good things taste, being in my soft foods stage I am beginning to start to eat some of my old favorites - eggs, tasty Soups etc. I find the first bite exquisite and then after that I get really turned off rapidly and can barely finish most meals. By the time I am near the end of the portion I have to force myself to eat - this is like after 2 ozs of something. I feel really turned off and disgusted with food now. And NOTHING even sounds good after I've eaten a few ozs of anything.

Anyone else feel this way? While this may help me reach my goal I am afraid I will be malnourished when I reach it and have to eat enough to maintain my weight when I get there. I hope it changes between now and then.

hey there

I am not sleeved yet (I am getting sleeved Jan 14), but have attended some support groups that we have in our city here. There is one person that has said the same thing.... she said that she actually gets bored with food.

I feel that I am like you, a foodaholic.. as was this girl. She said that right after her meal she would think of what the next meal would be.... I do that.

Keep working at what you are doing, I don't think that you will have to worry if you are taking the proper supplements, ettc.

Congrats on your weight loss.... looking forward to be a fellow sleever

Totally normal, and this too shall pass. I went through it as do a lot of WLS patients. For me, I had to flavor food up big time. Lots of spices/seasonings to make things appealing. It only lasted a couple weeks, and it got better with each passing week.

I was a foodaholic, ballooned up to 375# and was miserable. Had my VSG on 12/6/10 and today at 5+ weeks I am 56 lbs down. I found that I still think about food and image how good things taste, being in my soft foods stage I am beginning to start to eat some of my old favorites - eggs, tasty Soups etc. I find the first bite exquisite and then after that I get really turned off rapidly and can barely finish most meals. By the time I am near the end of the portion I have to force myself to eat - this is like after 2 ozs of something. I feel really turned off and disgusted with food now. And NOTHING even sounds good after I've eaten a few ozs of anything.

Anyone else feel this way? While this may help me reach my goal I am afraid I will be malnourished when I reach it and have to eat enough to maintain my weight when I get there. I hope it changes between now and then.

I am 6 weeks out. I sit down can't wait to eat something take 2 bites and I am done. Today is my son's birthday and he want to go eat out tonight and I'm dreading it because I know I can't eat much.

Hi!

I was sleeved the same day as you, and i feel the exact same way as you!

I am on soft/mushies, but i do eat normal food, just chew it really good....but it only takes a couple of bites before im done, and i do not want anything to do with that kind of food anymore!

Hopefully it ends soon!

I am the same way. All of this week, I have drank a Protein shake, which would take me all morning, and then I don't even think about food until dinner. Today I got to start mushies and so I ate some mashed potatoes. The first couple of bites were good, but then I was through. It is so strange to be disinterested in food, but I guess that is what I signed up for!

I was sleeved 5 1/2 months ago and I concur with Tiffykins, we all go through it and this too shall pass. At first I was revolted by all food, even when the idea of it was great, all of my senses post op were so wonky. This was followed by what I call my "vampire" phase, wherein I felt no need/interest/desire for food and all my bodily functions seemed to stop. Then came the frustration, wherein food smelled wonderful and tasted gross. Now, I am in a place where the desires have returned, the emotional aspect of why we were overeaters, and I am keenly aware of how I "could" sabotage myself, should I choose too, so now it is a choice to listen to my body rather than my head. My body couldn't care less about whether we eat or not, but my interest may be there, for a variety of reasons.

I still don't get hungry. It depends on my mood really; if I'm super hyper or busy I could easily not eat all day and never notice. If I'm emotional or anxious or bored, then it is easier to notice the "empty" cues that are now my version of hunger. Also, my "full" cue is different; I get a tight stretched feeling when I have overeaten and a full stretched feeling when I have eaten the right size, but satiety doesn't really exist - because the hunger that precedes it doesn't exist, does that make sense? There is no mind-body connection any longer regarding food.

So glad to hear I'm not alone in this. I'm about 7 wks post-VSG, down about 42 lbs, eat about 2-3 bites of food, get very full and am over it. Food no longer interests me but it sounds like this is a temporary phase. I need to increase my Protein intake but am turned off by the thought of having to ingest another bite. It's a little scary that something I loved so much and found such comfort in is now my enemy. Crossing my fingers this will change with time.

I was so relieved to find this thread. I am the same, the idea is great, then I have a few bites and feel like I could gag. SOOOOO glad that it too shall pass cause although I had a bad relatinoship with food in the past, I would like to have some sort of a HEALTHY relationship with food to keep me alive and give me some energy which I am seriously lacking right now. This forum rocks.

Boy since writing the original post in this thread SOME of the disgust has passed but I now face a WORSE one.

Almost ANY meat I eat tastes really foul. chicken and fish just taste "off" and are undesirable. Beef is worse and sausage is incredibly foul tasting (and yes I know it's NOT a lean meat). We went to Cracker Barrel restaurant on Saturday and the wife ordered Momma's pancake Breakfast which we shared. I ate one of the eggs - not bad, 1/2 a pancake - which was pretty good, and about one bite of the regular sausage patty which I nearly spit out it was so gross. I had a piece of bacon earlier in the week and nearly gagged. I used to LOVE this stuff and gorge myself on this stuff. The turkey breast lunch meat we buy is so nasty I won't eat it. I used to eat it for a snack before the sleeve.

I hope this passes because I really need more Protein and having nearly all meat taste so bad is a real bummer!

Boy since writing the original post in this thread SOME of the disgust has passed but I now face a WORSE one.

Almost ANY meat I eat tastes really foul. chicken and fish just taste "off" and are undesirable. Beef is worse and sausage is incredibly foul tasting (and yes I know it's NOT a lean meat). We went to Cracker Barrel restaurant on Saturday and the wife ordered Momma's pancake Breakfast which we shared. I ate one of the eggs - not bad, 1/2 a pancake - which was pretty good, and about one bite of the regular sausage patty which I nearly spit out it was so gross. I had a piece of bacon earlier in the week and nearly gagged. I used to LOVE this stuff and gorge myself on this stuff. The turkey breast lunch meat we buy is so nasty I won't eat it. I used to eat it for a snack before the sleeve.

I hope this passes because I really need more Protein and having nearly all meat taste so bad is a real bummer!

chicken was my arch nemesis for quite some time, and even now I will choose red meat over chicken.

I started eating seafood, and scallops were/are my go-to swimmer options. I just can't handle things like salmon. Tilapia and mahi mahi are other seafood options that I can tolerate, and actually enjoy.

I promise these things come in ebbs and waves. One day something will just click, and things will taste good again. food will not be a chore, and eating won't be a simple "have to do". I still do not like sausage with the exception of kielbasa type sausage. Patty or Breakfast link sausage is still pretty revolting to me, and I'm not sure if it's the actual taste or texture.

For me, I found that because my capacity was so restricted that I wanted food to taste good. Unfortunately, it was combination of 2 things. Major restriction, and ketosis potty mouth. I did low carb so I was in ketosis for a good 4 months, and this definitely affected my tastebuds. I know things changed for me around the time that my surgeon wanted me to slow down my loss, and I begrudgingly added in more carbs. I still rarely ate over 50-60gr of carbs per day because I just didn't have room for them. Plus, some life stressors diminished around this same time (husband returned from Afghanistan) and this really helped me emotionally.

Even today at over 20 months out, some days food and me just do not get along. I have found this to be especially true when eating out. I'll order whatever I want, and thinking it's going to be fabulous, then I am severely disappointed in how little I actually like it.

Hang in there, and get creative.

Thanks Tiffy - and good to hear about the hubby back from war! Congratulations, it's the first I've heard you mention it. Must of been hell without him going through the weight loss.

I am almost 4 years out from my surgery and I have episodes like everyone on this thread at one time or another. It passes... I can eat anything in moderation and nothing grosses me out. If I eat too much ice cream (more than 1/2 a cup) I get really nauseated. I cannot eat dry steak or undercooked Pasta because my stomach won't process it but I can eat anything else. Trying to lose 10-15 pounds that have crept up over the last year but so much easier now with the smaller stomach. All need to relax and enjoy what you can, when you can. It all straightens itself out eventually. I always ordered meals like I normally would and take home the extra and snack on it over the course of the next couple of days. Greasy foods will disgust you but as the months and years go by you will be able to tolerate it unfortunately. I love bacon! I think that if I would have not eaten any sweets or candy during my fast weight loss phase that I would have been way below my target weight. Then again, if I had not done it I wouldn't be trying to lose a few pounds. I will never have regrets!! This surgery is awesome.

I also had this and it passed.... I really couldn't be bothered at all with food..... so used to have Protein shakes instead to make sure I was still up on Protein and nutrients.... it did pass although at the time I did wonder if it ever would as I have always been a real foodaholic!

Hang in there!!